bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apostle / Disciple ?  (Read 4368 times)

Fester

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • Yes a pancake!
Apostle / Disciple ?
« on: August 10, 2010, 11:02:41 PM »

Does Ray explain the difference between an 'apostle' and a 'disciple' ?

Thanks in advance.

"Christianity began as a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. When it went to Athens, it became a philosophy. When it went to Rome, it became an organization. When it went to Europe, it became a culture. When it came to America, it became a business."

Marky Mark

Re: Apostle / Disciple ?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 01:37:29 PM »

The original twelve apostles were called disciples in scripture also.That makes sense according to what the definition of the word disciple means.

3100. matheteuo math-ayt-yoo'-o from 3101; intransitively, to become a pupil; transitively, to disciple, i.e. enrol as scholar:--be disciple, instruct, teach.

I don't think anywhere in scripture disciple means in a generic way to have the same meaning as the word apostle.
I think where one tends to go off track is when we think that the words apostle and disciple can be interchanged. Only the true twelve had the power of God working in them to do what was necessary for the advancement of the Truth, according to what Christ spoke of in Scripture.  The apostles had divine intervention on their lives where as disciples of Christ do not,that is, not in the same manner that the apostles did in their miraculous works. I feel that I am a disciple or follower[believer] of Christ ,but I certainly am not an apostle.

2Co 12:12  Truly the signs of the apostle were worked out among you in all patience, in miraculous signs, and in wonders, and by works of power.

Mar 16:20  And going out, they preached everywhere, the Lord working with them and confirming the Word through the miraculous signs following after. Amen.

Email response from Ray...

Jesus did say that certain signs would follow the apostles, but He didn't say it was so for all believers. He also told His APOSTLES if they were bitten by a deadly snake it wouldn't harm them--He didn't tell all believers that, however.  He told His twelve apostles that anything they asked in His name, believing, that He would give it to them--He didn't say that that went for all believers in all times. I think the misuse of such verses adds to the frustration of many a saint today.

Hope that helps you a little.

Sincerely,

Ray

Peace...Mark

YellowStone

Re: Apostle / Disciple ?
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 07:23:16 PM »

Though both words convey a similair meaning these days, the original Greek words were more speciffic.

Disciple - μαθητής mathētēs
1) a learner, pupil, disciple

Apostle - ἀπόστολος apostolos
1) a delegate, messenger, one sent forth with orders
    a) specifically applied to the twelve apostles of Christ
    b) in a broader sense applied to other eminent Christian teachers
        1) of Barnabas
        2) of Timothy and Silvanus

« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 07:27:25 PM by YellowStone »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.