bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what does God require of us?  (Read 7838 times)

wisdom

what does God require of us?
« on: August 22, 2010, 07:40:51 PM »

Before I elaborate on my question I would like to give everyone a brief description of me and what I have been going through lately( I apologize if this becomes lengthy but I need to talk to someone and you guys are the only people who can understand what Im going through) I am a 31 year old black male( not that race matters) who grew up in the projects of in Watts, California. I was raised in a single parent household for the majority of my life my father was killed in my neighborhood when I was 12. My mother raised me and my two brothers alone on her own. My mother means the world to me. After the death of my father she never remarried or even had a boyfriend for that matter. She was and is a woman of God and faith( just as her mother is and my fathers mother also) . She tried her best to raise me the right way,kept me going to the baptist church every Sunday as she was brought up. I thank her for that, even though I did take part in certain things that happened in my rough neighborhood ,God brought me out of that. I decided when I was about 25 to rededicate my life to God( seeing that a lot of my peers were going to jail for long periods of time or being killed) it seemed like the most logical thing to do along with constant nagging from my mom. So I decided to take some evangelical classes so I can share the good news around my neighborhood, to close friends and other family members who were not in church. I feared they were in danger of hellfire for the most part so I wanted to be able to intelligently inform them of this teaching and answer any questions they might have. To make a long story shorter I saw contradictions in their teaching and I was discourage until someone pointed me to Ray Smiths website. Instantly after reading the letter to John Hagee( who I was previously a HUGE fan of) I felt a huge weight, sort a speak, lifted from my shoulders. Initially I had planned to just read part of it, I thought I had a couple of minutes to read Rays objections and it turned into several hours. I shed tears of relief and joy and couldn't wait to share the news with my mom and others who I studied the bible with. Sadly, they didn't see what I saw. Even though my mom was overly joyed to see me with a new found hunger for the truth of Gods word and not have an interest for the streets as I did in my youth, she did not( and still does not) agree with Rays teaching even though he backs everything up with scripture, which I was taught was essential in understanding the truth. This is a very difficult situation for me seeing that I can't even help her to see the TRUTHS of Gods word as she tried to help me. I can't worship with her or my grandmothers because I see no reason to attend their church and they refuse to accept the truths found on this website. It hurts me to see them being decieved especially because they love the Lord with all their heart. I know that it is God who has blinded them to his truth but why? Why has he shown them to me and not them? They are more deserving than me! ( I know only God can answer these questions I'm asking out of frustration). My mom is so loving, so kindhearted, so humble, the BEST mom ever. She still stays in the projects, doesn't have a lot of money and tithes regularly. Still no husband she lives alone. I'm not doing so good either so I can't really help her. It hurts me to see that the only thing that brings her comfort in life is believing these lies and false doctrines of the church. So a lot of times when I want to discuss God I change my mind because I feel that I'm taking away the only thing that gives her joy. See my dilemma? That's why my question is what does God require of us who know the truth that has close family members and/or friends who don't. Who are still following the traditions of men and think they have the truth. I get very emotional and discouraged sometimes thinking about this, but I'm very thankful and greatful God has given me you all to talk to in times like this. T appreciate all comments and God bless all! 

judith collier

Re: what does God require of us?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 07:57:58 PM »

Wisdom, others more versed than myself wiil answer soon. All that I want to say is, YOU are a GOOD SON !!!!!
Don't fight your mother on this in my opinion.
Only God can open a lie of the mind. It is very ingrained in your mother.
Love, Judy

arion

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 09:08:17 PM »

I can't tell you why God does what he does when he does.  Nobody can.  Why would God make Ray endure this cancer and so much suffering when it seems to me that Ray could do a lot more good being healthy, doing more teachings and conferences and being used as a sharp tool in the masters hand.  Why does he suffer so when so many others have such an easy time of it?  The apostle Paul had some insights to this.  You look at other members on this board who have/are enduring incredible trials and it seems to me that what I have to go through is so insignificant. 

I'm reminded of the potter and the clay.  God indeed is soverign and he does as he pleases with us in the manner which he chooses.  He has a master plan and we now know (unlike the members of your family and my family) that the end result in the ages to come will be salvation for all.  First the evil and then the good.  We must taste evil in this life and endure before the good comes.  It's our part and parcel but we know it's for a much greater purpose. 

God has a plan for your family and he is working that out even as we speak.  On issues like this it comes down to having faith in our loving heavenly Father.  He will have you where you need to be when you need to be there and he will do the same for your family members.  Just rest in the Lord and know that he has it all figured out.  I would also suggest backing off on doing much sharing with them at this point.  They don't want to hear it and it will only cause conflict.  The time may come when they ask you of the change in your life and then you are free to share.  I concur with your consternation because you would think that most Christians would be overjoyed to hear of the truths of the eventual salvation of the entire human race (albeit not all in this age) but you find the most resistance with the Christians and not the world.  It took a long time for God to bring me around on this issue but he opens our eyes when he wants to.  A blind man or a blind woman can't see no matter how hard they might want to or how hard you want them to.  They are blind....the blind can't see!!  It's simple but it's also a profound revelation.  God has to open their eyes to his truths in the right timing for them.  It's the only way and it's just the way God does things.

wisdom

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 09:38:57 PM »

Judy thanks for your comments/compliment. Arion thanks for your input and advice and may God continue to bless both of you!

Joel

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 10:13:18 PM »

Greetings,
For sure, only God can open blinded eyes to the Truths of his Word.
What does God require of us?
Micah, 6:8
He hath shewed the , O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

Matthew, 22: 37-40
Jesus said unto them, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Joel

Kat

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 11:15:36 PM »

Hi Wisdom,

It is hard to have your eyes opened and those around you still blind to the truth. But that is the way this age is to be, the world is deceived for now. But there is a very few in which God is choosing to call out and open their eyes, but these are the exception. Only a very few are so fortunate to be called out, we are never qualified or deserving of this calling, actually He has chosen the least likely at this time.

1Co 1:26  For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called.
v. 27  But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty;
v. 28  and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are,
v. 29  that no flesh should glory in His presence.

So God is bringing a few that the world would least expect, the base things, the nothings. So there will be no question that this could only be accomplished by a great work of God and those that are chosen also know God is doing a great work in them.  

Now it seems to me that what we really need to be doing is study as much as we can to learn all that God has put before us. It takes a lot of study, I would say years of study, meditation and pray to root out the old and get this truth solidly in place. So usually when we first come to this truth and are the most eager to share it with others, is when we are the least prepared to do so.

We just need to put our effort into learning this truth the best that we can and let those around us see in our actions, so that the way that we live is our witness to them. If God brings someone our way that asks a question concerning this truth, well surely we can share what we know. But it is not up to us to bring any to the truth, but He also just might open the eyes of someone close to us, which is a huge blessing. The most you can do is really love your family now and just know that they will know the truth one day and remember that you loved them in their blindness.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Ninny

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 11:46:51 PM »

Wisdom,
I am in agreement! Our whole duty is is right there in Micah 6:8..God will give you the things you need, your only job is to let God change you...that's what we all have to do! I know you love your mom..so keep loving her and don't change that!! :)
Kathy ;)

Linny

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 12:44:39 AM »

Wisdom! What a wonderful story you have to tell! I am so happy God called you out with us and that you are here. You have a life perspective that many of us do not have and will have much to offer.  ;D

I just wanted to say that it is okay that your family is blind right now. Learn to rest in it. I have a BIL and sister who minister to a big church in NJ. Although I completely disagree with their teachings and with how their church spends money, etc. I know that if they knew what I know, it would forever alter their lives. They'd lose all their friends, their home, their vehicles, their big family, their lifestyle, his and her work, all their outreach ministries that mean so much to them, etc.
As much as I'd love to have the company, I don't wish that on them. It would be 1,000 times harder on their family to be called out as it was on mine. If God chooses to call them out, I know I can deal with that too and would be there for them. But I know that God has a plan for them just as He always did for me BEFORE He showed me the truth.

Just love on those God places in your life and only offer an answer if you are asked a question. You will know if you are to speak if you listen with your heart...

Blessings, Lin

markn902

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 01:31:22 AM »

thanks for the post and the question. its funny I just thought a similar though before sitting down to read these posts. I thought why me? there's got to be a million and half people more deserving than me. Yet God has blessed me with love and knowledge. I have love in my heart for my heavenly father but fall short in my actions every day. I grew up a little rough too with drugs and crime. I dont even know where I am going with this. I am glad you posted though. I think I worry that because I know and believe the truth about universal salvation I don't do enough right now. Its really depressing at times. I want to do the right thing. does anyone else feel this way and what do you do about it?

wisdom

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 01:56:00 AM »

Joel thanks for your scriptural references I will be sure to meditate on them, Kat you're awesome, your response really hit home as usual and ninny and linny I greatly appreciate your comments, they are very helpful. I am very thankful to all of you and the site as a whole. May God bless us all and continue to enlighten us with his marvelous truths.

wisdom

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 02:01:27 AM »

Markn902 you're right our thoughts are similar and I get depressed at times also. I really didn't know what to do either so I shared my thoughts with this forum. Our brothers and sisters here go through similar situations while learning the truth so I take comfort in their testimonies and advice. Hope this helps a lil bit, God bless and take care.

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 02:38:25 AM »

...I think I worry that because I know and believe the truth about universal salvation I don't do enough right now. Its really depressing at times. I want to do the right thing. does anyone else feel this way and what do you do about it?

Rom 7:21-25  So I've discovered this truth: Evil is present with me even when I want to do what God's standards say is good.  I take pleasure in God's standards in my inner being.  However, I see a different standard at work throughout my body. It is at war with the standards my mind sets and tries to take me captive to sin's standards which still exist throughout my body.

What a miserable person I am!
(It's really depressing at times.)  Who will rescue me from my dying body?  I thank God that our Lord Jesus Christ rescues me! So I am obedient to God's standards with my mind, but I am obedient to sin's standards with my corrupt nature.

Php 2:10-13  ...So that at the name of Jesus every knee may be bent, of those in heaven and those on earth and those in the underworld, and that every tongue may give witness that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.  So then, my loved ones, as you have at all times done what I say, not only when I am present, but now much more when I am not with you, give yourselves to working out your salvation with fear (respect) in your hearts; for it is God who is the cause of your desires and of your acts, for his good pleasure.

Joh 4:34  Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of Him that sent me, and to finish His work. 

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Marky Mark

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 12:13:03 PM »

Wisdom,

Although you feel the need, as we all do at times,to share the wealth, if you will, the Father does still love His creation and will have none be lost. God is calling out His people in this age of judgement and all that any of us we can do is to be ever so grateful that He has shown us the Truths of the Spirit.
   I for one always thank God for pulling me out of the things of this world and showing me a better way through the Truth and Love of the Spirit that we all so desperately seek.The many called and the few chosen are still Gods called people and if some are from the former instead of the latter it still does not change what Gods plans are for all of humanity, which is ,to be saved.
   As always, Kats response is spot on. Thank-you Kat,your love for all of us here is over flowing with Spiritual guidance.

Dave's Scriptures are a welcome addition for contemplation also.

Peace...Mark

Dawidos

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 12:31:31 PM »

Yeah, Kate's responses are always amazing :) I also liked Dave's comment - we can call it "pain of existence". A soul longing for spiritual knowledge, but trapped in a carnal and flesh body. Sometimes I would like to get out of this "physical prison", wouldn't you?

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 01:17:32 PM »

Hi Wisdom

On the FAQ Board found at http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,11572.0.html  under the title, What to do now?  where you may find some more comfort, edification and motivation. :) Your suffering is not uncommon to us here who God is dragging out to His Son.

Arc

soberxp

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 04:53:08 AM »

preach the gospel to all the nations,at that day,the age come. sorry,I forgot which scripture .
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 04:55:20 AM by soberxp »

markn902

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 11:22:13 AM »

thank you Dave and Wisdom for your responses. and Dave that is a powerful verse in Romans that really hits me  Thank you  :) you just made my day
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.