bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why did God send the flood?  (Read 6928 times)

booker

Why did God send the flood?
« on: August 27, 2010, 06:38:00 AM »

Genesis 6:6
And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

The Lord was grieved that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was filled with pain.

And the LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart.

I mean with the whole God knew Adam and eve would sin stuff,how about the flood?Did God really regret having made us?

chav

Re: Why did God send the flood?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 08:47:28 AM »

Hi Booker
Ray tackles this subject in the May 2008 study

May2008 Bible Study Can a Sovereign God Change?
http://bible-truths.com/audio/Bible Study 5_03_08 Pt 1.mp3
http://bible-truths.com/audio/Bible Study 5_03_08 Pt 2.mp3
http://bible-truths.com/audio/Bible Study 5_03_08 Pt 3.mp3

Dave

Kat

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 11:28:47 AM »

Hi Booker,

Here is an excerpt from the transcript of the Bible study 'DOES A SOVEREIGN GOD EVER CHANGE?'

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,7714.0.html -----------

DOES GOD “REGRET” MAKING HUMANITY?

Gen 6:6-7  And it repented (Heb. #5162) the LORD that He had made man on the earth, and it grieved Him at His heart...  for it repents Me that I have made them.

So the Lord repents.  But we read in Numbers 23...

Num 23:19  God is not a man, that He should lie; neither the son of man, that He should repent (Heb. #5162 nacham): hath He said, and shall He not do it? or hath He spoken, and shall He not make it good?
v
Does the phrase “God repented” in Gen. 6:6 contradict the phrase “He is not a man that He should repent,” in Num. 23:19?  Well what saith thou, what do you think?  Is that a contradiction?  He repented and He doesn’t repent, is that a contradiction?  Absolutely it’s a contradiction. 
v
Now the definition of  ‘nacham,’ that’s the word translated (repent).       
Strong’s #5162 nacham means to sigh, that is breathe strongly; by implication to be sorry, that is…  What is?  Sorry is.  What he is saying is, here’s what we mean by saying what it means to be sorry, do you follow?  Here’s what we mean by saying sorry, that is… (in a favorable sense) to pity or console.  That how it is used in a favorable sense.  Comfort (self), ease (one’s self), repent (-er, -ing, self) 
v
So we see that this word ‘nacham’ can be used in a favorable sense, to be sorry.  Here’s what we mean by sorry - to show pity, sympathy, mercy, comfort etc. So that is how it can be used.  The word itself is used 37 times, translated as repent in the Hebrew Scripture.  But guess what?  It’s translated 70 times on the favorable side; to comfort or be comforted or comforting.  That’s double, a hundred percent more times it‘s translated in some form of comfort.

DID MOSES CONVINCE GOD TO “CHANGE”?

Exo 32:10  Now therefore let Me alone (this is God speaking to Moses), that My wrath may wax hot against them, and that I may consume them: and I will make of you a great nation.
V. 11  And Moses besought the LORD his God, and said, LORD, why doth Your wrath wax hot against Your people, which You hast brought forth out of the land of Egypt with great power, and with a mighty hand?
V. 12  Wherefore should the Egyptians speak, and say, For mischief did He bring them out, to slay them in the mountains, and to consume them from the face of the earth? Turn from Your fierce wrath, and repent of this evil against Your people.
V. 13  Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, Your servants, to whom You swore by Your own self, and said unto them, I will multiply your seed as the stars of heaven, and all this land that I have spoken of will I give unto your seed, and they shall inherit it forever.
V. 14  And the LORD repented of the evil which He thought to do unto His people.

So Moses says to God, ‘You can’t do that Lord.  You brought them out of Egypt and everybody sees what You did. You set them free and now You are going to be there God.  But now they are going to mock and say He delivered them out of Egypt and now He can’t protect them and He destroyed them.  You can’t do that, I know they are a mess and they worshipped the calf and all this, but have mercy.’ 

So God says, okay V. 14  “And the LORD repented of the evil which He thought to do unto His people.”  Well there it is.  Does God repent?   They say, ‘absolutely that is what it says, can’t you read, “the Lord repented”.’  The problem I have with that, I’m not sure that’s the word that should be used there. 

Are we not all familiar with the fact that many words have more than one definition?  Sometimes they are opposing definitions and it is used according to the context.  So what processes translators to think that they can translate a verse that will make God out to be a contradiction and a liar?  See that is my question.
v
God said to Moses “let Me alone.”  How many times have I told you that you have got to pay attention to all the words.  Pay attention to ALL the words.  He said “let Me alone” and then I will get angry and then I’ll do it.  Did Moses let Him alone?  No he didn’t.  So God can’t say He would do what He would do if Moses left Him along, because Moses didn’t leave Him alone.  Moses came to Israel’s defense.  He didn’t say alright God if that’s the way you see it, let’s get it over with, oh no.  He said, ‘no God, please no, some of them are my relatives, my brother Aaron, you know.’  He came to their defense. 

Do you believe it when the Bible says the sum of My word is truth (Psalms 119:160)?   
Do you believe God when He says I do not lie (Titus 1:2)? 
Do you believe God when He says He doesn’t change (Mal. 3:6)? 
Do you believe God when He says He doesn’t repent (Num. 23:19)? 

Well it says right there that “He repented.”  I’m saying it is the wrong word.  I know what Greek word was used ‘nacham,’ it means to show mercy or pity and that’s the way Concordance translated it.  “So Yahweh showed mercy,” because Moses came to the defense and didn’t leave God alone.  But God knows the end from the beginning.  Do you believe that verse He knows the end from the beginning?  He knew Moses was going to do that, so He never changed His mind.
-----------------------------------------------------------

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Marky Mark

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 11:30:51 AM »

Email response from Ray... Short version

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,6961.0.html

Ray have you commented on Gen:6, 5  6 & 7 ?
Seems that GOD created the adversary to do
a job, an he has done a perfect job to date,
Sooooooo   why was GOD sorry he created man at
at that time?

I really do appreciate,an THANK YOU for sharing
your knowledge  an dedication, to the world.
                                  Thank you again
                                             Don
                                             Amarillo, Texas

Dear Don: Don't misunderstand the meaning of "sorry" as it was used in archaic English. He was not "sorry" as in "I made a mistake that I now wish I hadn't made." That is nonsense. It is translated "grieved," and that is the proper word. Also the word for "repented" can mean to "pity." And these are proper emotional statements coming from God that do not insinuate that He didn't know what He was doing. God says he takes "no delight in the death of the wicked." But that doesn't mean He is sorry that He ever created humanity which is mostly wicked. And so when they death was to come, God felt pity and was grieved for the destruction that He brought upon them as a part of His original plan from the beginning. Hope this helps your understanding.
God be with you,
Ray

Peace...Mark

judith collier

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 05:26:04 PM »

Seems to me Moses, in his time of course, and the Redeemer NOT having been sent, saw God in a certain perspective. The fear of God was strong. If Moses prayed that way, then his expectation would have been more of a judgement.
Could it be God answered in the way He intended from the start and Moses thought he changed God's mind?????

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 05:11:05 AM »

Could it be God answered in the way He intended from the start and Moses thought he changed God's mind?????

Good point Judy!

I do not know what Moses thought yet I do believe that God answered in precisely the way He intended with no mistake about it either!  Christendoms "Prayer Warriors" believe that their prayers can change God's mind and being blinded by God, they falsley base their assumptions on Moses having been proof of their flawed convictions! Thus the blind do lead the blind as blinded by God, and fully intended in the Plan and Purpose of God.

Arc

judith collier

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 07:48:19 PM »

Thanks Arcturus, I can always count on you to give a thought your best .
Prayer Warriors mostly brought disappointment, but on the other hand when they would attack the enemy at least I would settle down, sharing the worry and fear helped.
I could have done that with a friend!
People don't realize how much of themselves are in a prayer.
Judy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.