bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Love the sin, hate the sinner?  (Read 4954 times)

octoberose

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Love the sin, hate the sinner?
« on: August 28, 2010, 02:00:00 AM »

This topic was brought up to me by my son. We hear this said over and over, but the fact is the saying, "love the sinner, hate the sin", is not in the Bible. We are told to love each other, we are told Jesus came to save sinners,  but Jesus really didn't divide up US and our SIN, did he?  My son thinks we're not taking responsibility for our actions and we shouldn't divide up us and our sin. I think his ideas have some merit. What do you all think?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 12:48:05 AM by octoberose »

arion

• Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
Re: Love the sin, hate the sinner?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 03:12:24 AM »

I think thats backwards isn't it?  Isn't it supposed to be love the sinner and hate the sin?   ;D

...Although that is a very profound thought though.  Most orthodox churches revel in the sin and hate the sinner by damning them to hell so you might not be that far off the mark after all.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 03:13:59 AM by Arion »

Marlene

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 03:42:12 AM »

I think, he has a point. The us and the sin is not different. It is all one. It is nothing but filthy rags. We bring nothing to the table. It is only God who is able to create a new mind in us. Then we will be one in him, there is no us.

In His Love,
Marlene

Marky Mark

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 12:27:34 PM »

I think thats backwards isn't it?  Isn't it supposed to be love the sinner and hate the sin?

It’s from St. Augustine. His Letter 211 (c. 424) contains the phrase Cum dilectione hominum et odio vitiorum, which translates roughly to "With love for mankind and hatred of sins." The phrase has become more famous as "love the sinner but hate the sin" or "hate the sin and not the sinner" (the latter form appearing in Mohandas Gandhi’s 1929 autobiography).

Peace...Mark

judith collier

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 05:02:22 PM »

Mark, I would think anyone who understood anything about Christ would know this. I was taught that as a young child. I figured if people hear judgement and us being Christians, they think we represent God then we better be darn careful what we say at first. Deeper teachings can come later.
They are drawn by love.

octoberose

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 12:53:45 AM »

Yep, you can tell I wrote this late at night. I just changed it so it would make sense!
 I found later that Gandhi is credited with the saying, but had no idea about St. Augustine. Thank you for that addition.
 Judy, it seems to me that the greater love is loving the sinner, just as he is, because only Jesus can take our sin far from us.
 Of course, I always love my kids but I truly don't like some of what they do so I understand the saying!
 I so appreciate this forum- very few others would understand what we talk about.
 Love, Patricia
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.