bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Parables about The called and the chosen  (Read 5915 times)

myms

Parables about The called and the chosen
« on: August 30, 2010, 08:34:03 AM »

Luke 13:6-9 (New International Version)

6Then he told this parable: "A man had a fig tree, planted in his vineyard, and he went to look for fruit on it, but did not find any. 7So he said to the man who took care of the vineyard, 'For three years now I've been coming to look for fruit on this fig tree and haven't found any. Cut it down! Why should it use up the soil?'

8" 'Sir,' the man replied, 'leave it alone for one more year, and I'll dig around it and fertilize it. 9If it bears fruit next year, fine! If not, then cut it down.' "

Any thoughts on the significance of v8 in particular, is it just showing God's patience with His elect, or have I missed something more significant. Thanks.

mharrell08

Re: Parables about The called and the chosen
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 11:05:59 AM »

6Then he told this parable: "A man had a fig tree, planted in his vineyard, and he went to look for fruit on it, but did not find any. 7So he said to the man who took care of the vineyard, 'For three years now I've been coming to look for fruit on this fig tree and haven't found any. Cut it down! Why should it use up the soil?'

8" 'Sir,' the man replied, 'leave it alone for one more year, and I'll dig around it and fertilize it. 9If it bears fruit next year, fine! If not, then cut it down.' "

Any thoughts on the significance of v8 in particular, is it just showing God's patience with His elect, or have I missed something more significant. Thanks.

Yes, God patience shows in all His works. Also, this parable follows the following passage:

Luke 13:5  unless you repent you will all likewise perish

John the Baptist referred to this repentance as bringing forth fruit:

Matt 3:8 & Luke 3:8  bear fruits worthy of repentance...

God's Elect will bring forth fruits worthy of repentance, otherwise they are not truly God's Elect and will perish ['be cut down'].

Hope this helps,

Marques

myms

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 11:17:39 AM »

Thanks Marques.  :)

soberxp

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 12:22:43 PM »

Thanks Marques n myms .

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 12:51:12 PM »

Job 21:30  That the wicked is reserved to the day of destruction? they shall be brought forth to the day of wrath.

Psa 37:1  A Psalm of David. Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity.

Mat 5:44  But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

1Pe 2:20  For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God.

Arc

Shawn Fainn

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 10:30:04 AM »

*sigh*

I find myself repenting daily it seems. Sometimes I feel like a hypocrite, but there's still a few things I'm struggling with.

Anyway, thanks for reminding me this is for a purpose.

E. Woods

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 12:55:52 PM »

Yes, God patience shows in all His works. Also, this parable follows the following passage:

Luke 13:5  unless you repent you will all likewise perish

John the Baptist referred to this repentance as bringing forth fruit:

Matt 3:8 & Luke 3:8  bear fruits worthy of repentance...

God's Elect will bring forth fruits worthy of repentance, otherwise they are not truly God's Elect and will perish ['be cut down'].

Hope this helps,

Marques
             I thought everyone was going to be saved, and no one was going to perish!
EJW

mharrell08

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 01:07:30 PM »

I thought everyone was going to be saved, and no one was going to perish!
EJW

EJW,

Please read the excerpt below. No one was speaking of perishing eternally, only in this age. Most of humanity is not saved in this age but the next.

Excerpt from 23 Minutes in Hell expose (http://bible-truths.com/23-minutes-in-hell.html):

Is it possible for a righteous man to perish, be lost, or destroyed, and yet be saved at a later date? Of course. We are told,

"The righteous perish, and no man lays it to heart: and merciful men are taken away, none considering that the righteous is taken away from the evil to come" (Isa. 57:1).

Surely the "righteous" will not be eternally "perished."

The Greek word "appolumi" has three basic meanings: "lose, perish, or destroy." Context can tell which of these three is most appropriate, however, context seldom defines the meaning or definition of a word. Here are a few examples:

LOSE/LOST from "appolumi" - The salt in Matt. 5:13, "lost" its flavor. The "lost" sheep in the wilderness that wondered from the 99 sheep was "found" (Luke 15:6). The prodigal Son of Luke 16:24, "...was dead, and is alive again; he was lost and is found." There is nothing "eternal" in the use of this word.

PERISH from "appolumi" - The Apostles were afraid they would "perish" in the sea (Matt. 8:25). Jesus taught in Luke 5:37 that new wine would cause old wine skins to "perish." In Luke 13:33, Jesus spoke of Himself when He said that a prophet cannot "perish" outside of Jerusalem. Jesus was that Prophet, that did "perish" - was crucified and killed IN Jerusalem.

Hope this helps,

Marques
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.