bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Global flood?  (Read 5035 times)

wat

Global flood?
« on: August 31, 2010, 04:09:41 AM »

Now I watched the 2008 conference and thought it was awesome, but I'm wondering about 2 Peter 2:5 and 3:6

2:5 "And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;"

3:6 "Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:"

The word for world is Strong's G2889 - kosmos, which seems to mean the whole world.  Is there any explanation for this?

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: Global flood?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 06:04:22 AM »

Don't take this as scholarship, but there are a number of uses of kosmos in the NT that are joined with 'holos' or 'whole'.  Would that then be the whole, whole world?

Primarily the use of Kosmos is not about physical geography, but about people as in:

2Co 5:19  To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

or as a term encompassing 'everything' as in:

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Joh 9:5  As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.

I didn't look at every usage, but I don't think I saw any that could exclusively be considered a geographical reference.  Possibly none at all.

I don't think there's any reason to think that "Kosmos" means the whole globe.  Neither, as you already know, does the Hebrew term.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 06:09:02 AM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Kat

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 11:35:10 AM »

Hi Loc,

Just want to offer a view of this Scripture passage that you may not have considered.

2Peter 2:5  and did not spare the ancient world, but saved Noah, one of eight people, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood on the world of the ungodly;
v. 6  and turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah into ashes, condemned them to destruction, making them an example to those who afterward would live ungodly;
v. 7  and delivered righteous Lot, who was oppressed by the filthy conduct of the wicked

There is the example of judgment through destruction on the "ancient world" and then there is a second example given of "Sodom and Gomorrah." I would think with the two comparisons given there would have similarities. Lot escaped from the fire of Sodom and Gomorrah and Noah and his family escaped from the flood. As Sodom and Gomorrah was limited to those specific cities, then so wouldn't the ancient world have been limited to those in the specific area of the world? How would these be comparable if one destroyed all life at the time, except for the few on the ark and the other only a couple of cities. It just seems that the way these two examples would be comparable is if they both were a limited destruction.

So if you add that to all the info that Ray gave at the conference, then this Scripture would also fit with just a local flood. Just thought I would add that point of view.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

arion

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 05:00:10 PM »

Not to mention that if you listened to the conference or looked at the notes Ray proved (beyond a reasonable doubt, imo) through geography and other areas that the flood was localized and fits within the known fossil records.

wat

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 09:27:56 PM »

Thanks for the responses guys.  This helps.  Any more takes on this?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.