bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: prayer for our soldiers  (Read 15795 times)

darren

prayer for our soldiers
« on: September 02, 2010, 02:14:01 AM »

Agree or disagree about Our soldiers in Iraq lets pray and give thanks for all they and their familiess did and scraficed for us and the people of Iraq. A special prayer for ones that came and are comming back with serious and horrific wounds.

Thanks,
Darren

judith collier

Re: prayer for our soldiers
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 05:29:51 AM »

darren, I usually do pray for them. Some situations are so sad.
Judy

Nan

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 04:11:12 PM »

I have a list of soldiers I pray for - their safe return.
I quit praying for the generals. Is this wrong?

arion

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 04:44:40 PM »

I have a list of soldiers I pray for - their safe return.
I quit praying for the generals. Is this wrong?

I would pray as God lays the burden on my heart but to answer your specific question....

1Ti 2:1-4  I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;  For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.   For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;  Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

I know the last verse doesn't address your question but I like to bold and underline that one anyway!!    ;D

Blessings and welcome to the forum.

Nan

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 05:56:16 PM »

Thanks for your reply.

soberxp

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 02:09:28 AM »

in this matter,I always thought I pary for amiss,cuz I can't pray for peace for soldiers.

wishes god be with soldiers.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 02:17:29 AM by soberxp »

daywalker

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 07:34:46 PM »

I pray regularly for all soldiers everywhere, including their families, regardless of whose side they're on. I pray the deaths, damages and destruction caused by war is as little as possible, and I pray that those who survive the war [regardless of whose side they are on] are able to find medical attention for all their wounds--physical, mental, spiritual.

War is very bad thing... unfortunately, we humans just can't seem to get enough of it, and the body count always includes millions of innocent bystanders and people who were just 'at the wrong place, at the wrong time'. It's incredibly sad, but thank God one day it will be over:

"...They will beat their swords into plowshares,

and their spears into pruning hooks.

Nations will not take up the sword against other nations,

and they will no longer train for war."

-Isaiah 2:4, NET

Christopher

Silent_Loner

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 06:56:23 PM »

pray for the world . not just the soldiers.

mharrell08

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 07:13:52 PM »

pray for the world . not just the soldiers.

(Jesus praying for His disciples)

John 17:6-10 I have manifested Your name to the men whom You have given Me out of the world. They were Yours, You gave them to Me, and they have kept Your word. Now they have known that all things which You have given Me are from You. For I have given to them the words which You have given Me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came forth from You; and they have believed that You sent Me.

I pray for them. I do not pray for the world but for those whom You have given Me, for they are Yours. And all Mine are Yours, and Yours are Mine, and I am glorified in them.

1 John 2:15  Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him

Excerpt from 'What is the Gospel of the Kingdom' (http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,6142.msg50217.html#msg50217):

I knew a lovely man when I was in Worldwide.  He came down and gave some Bible studies for us and I really did love the man.  His name was Ray too.  But he made the comment once… now he understood about universal reconciliation, he just did not get the spirit.  He said, ‘we can be thankful we live in a nation and in a time where we are not persecuted.’  And he said, ‘I’ve never been persecuted.’  Guess what?  He was not living completely Godly in Christ Jesus, that’s why. 
When you always do what’s right, you will be persecuted and probably by some of your closes friends.  Maybe your wife or husband, your mother or father, your children or neighbors or working associates.  Not the least of which is your own brethren in the church will persecute you, if you always do everything that is right. 

They say - Oh we’re going to make little ribbons and hang them on the trees, to say bless our soldiers, may they kill many Arabs today. 
You say - well I don’t want to do that.
Them - what?
You - I don’t think it’s right that we do that.
Them - well what’s with you?  You’re not patriotic?  You don’t believe in killing?
You - no.
If you don’t think you will be persecuted, I’ll tell you that you will be persecuted. 

Marques

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 07:16:38 PM »

Hi Silent_Loner

God has decreed that there shall be no peace in the world. L Ray Smith

Jesus Christ would not pray against or in opposition to the Plan of His Father. Neither should we! :)

We are not of the world even as Christ is not of the world. We are IN the world.

Joh 17:15  I pray not that thou shouldest take them (us, you, me, our brothers and sisters) out of the world, but that thou shouldest KEEP THEM FROM EVIL.

That is such a beautiful prayer. It is written! No one can un-write what is written! :)

Arc

Roy Coates

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 08:57:27 PM »

I pray for ALL soilders(both sides), that God's will and His way will be done in thier life and give peace to thier families. Back in the day when I was running a prayer service in the local church I got a request to pray for the soilders, so I did, just as above and it ruffeled some feathers.

grapehound

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 09:42:10 PM »

Thank you for that post Arcturus.
You just nailed something for me.

Every blessing

Grape x

judith collier

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 12:35:34 AM »

Arc, why did Jesus say to love one another if it's for nothing as in ,  Ray said God decreed there would be no peace in the world? Men and women being just that and not born of the Spirit would by their carnal nature fulfill what Ray said but it said God Decreed it. Do we go against God then by praying for peace. Decreed sounds like a done deal. How is one to know who to pray for, if God is decreeing all of it? yet, we are told to pray.
Judy

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 10:27:27 AM »

That the Lord Blesses and has His way with you dear brother Grape is surely our reward and blessing too! 8)

Judy I can only reply to you as one sister to another.

You ask, "why did Jesus say to love one another...."

The first thing that happens to me as I consider your question is to ask myself WHO was our Lord speaking to when He commanded this? My thoughts take me to knowing that it was not addressed to the world to love US, that our Lord was teaching us. We know as He says, we are persecuted, hated and reviled of the world as is fitting for our God to purge, strengthen and purify His Children He is preparing for His Kingdom. We are purged when hated, we are blessed as well as we are given to walk in the very foot path of our Lord who left His example to us.

Luk 16:13  No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.Luk 6:22  Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake.

So to who was Jesus speaking when He said “love one another”

Joh 15:17  These things I command YOU, ( YOU, the Disciples, Apostles, Brethren of Christ ) that ye love one another.

Okay so we see who the one is but who is the other? Jesus says WE are to love one another. Who is that other? Is it the world? NO! Is it the rebellious, defiant, God hating, Christ despising children of wrath? NO. The other, is the other Disciple, Apostle, Brother, Sister, Daughter and Son of our God. We are not to bow to mammon or the world, the worldy or those God has caused to experience the darkness and blindness of error, deception and delusion.

So what kind of love is the “love” Christ our Saviour has commanded we are to love each other?

It is Agape love. This is the Love of God. God IS Love.

Rom 5:5  and that this hope never disappoints, because God's love for us floods our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.
1Th 4:9  But on the subject of love for the brotherhood it is unnecessary for me to write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love one another;
2Th 1:3  Unceasing thanks are due from us to God on your behalf, brethren. They are appropriate because your faith is growing greatly, and the love of every one of you for all the others goes on increasing.
2Ti 1:7  For the Spirit which God has given us is not a spirit of cowardice, but one of power and of love and of sound judgement.

Has the world been given this Spirit yet? NO. The world does’t judge according to the Spirit of God but of things earthly and worldly of prize only to the eyes of lust and flesh and pride of life.

It is not for us to mix the old with the new or the earthy realm of carnality with the heavenly Kingdom of our God.

This is why our Lord tells us to Love as God loves, and as God loves, we can only do if God is causing us to experience and walk in that Love that is His Spirit in us, leading us to grow in faith, in insight of Wisdom and fruits of the Spirit of the Son of God ~ Jesus Christ Himself.

It really is so important to discern between the Love of God and the Love of Christ. Here Agape and Phileo Love are important to understand. The world doesn’t see, discern or know the difference.

Highly Recommended reading I feel the Lord is urging ME to re-study is  Love : http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,3719.0.html. Join me to re-study  this Judy!  :)

You ask “ Do we go against God by praying for peace?”

If our minds hearts and feelings are seeking the Kingdom of God then:

1Jn 3:10  By this we can distinguish God's children and the Devil's children: no one who fails to act righteously is a child of God, nor he who does not love his brother man.
1Jn 3:17  But if any one has this world's wealth and sees that his brother man is in need, and yet hardens his heart against him--how can such a one continue to love God?
Who is John talking about? Who is that brother man in need?

The Devil’s children don’t need Christ. They HATE Him. They revile, spit and abuse Him as pigs and swine will tear at pearls of the Kingdom of God. No, this is not who John is talking about. He is talking about that brother of yours and mine who NEEDING God, who seeking and crying out to GOD, is in need. Against such we are not to become hardened, aloof, pride filled and to high and mighty to lend a hand, encouragement, hope and blessing as God draws out of Babylon those He is electing for His Kingdom. We are not to do as the Pharisees do buy shutting out those who are entering the Kingdom.

1Jn 4:7  Dear friends, let us love one another; for love has its origin in God, and every one who loves has become a child of God and is beginning to know God.

That brother are those BEGINNING to KNOW God! Not those refusing and looking for agreement and are those…

Rom 1:32  In short, though knowing full well the sentence which God pronounces against actions such as theirs, as things which deserve death, they not only practice them, but even encourage and applaud others who do them.

We are to discern who’s who and are only given to discern by the gift of that Holy Spirit of Christ that leads, through His Goodness, those He is calling to Repentance into His Kingdom!

You ask how one is to know what to pray for?

That is richly answered in the edifying and most enlightening and VITAL message of hope AND TRUTH, found at Praying by God's Rules Home page. 8)

Blessings to you sister

Arc
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 10:34:58 AM by Arcturus »

Phil3:10

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 03:00:18 PM »

Arcturus,
You always have such great posts. If we could only love as GOD does?  It is GOD that determines all and from what I can understand this world is going to get a lot worse before the Day of the LORD. We can only grow in HIS love, seek HIS peace and pray for HIS tender mercies. We need to spend much time in prayer for all.  There is so much need and the need is only going to increase as we see the day approaching. Specific prayer is wonderful but praying for all does include our friends and enemies. I wonder if Agape Love is possible for carnal fleshly mankind.  To me, it is unconditional and reserved for GOD. I pray that I am wrong but have seen very little evidence that man can truly possess Agape Love.
The prayer that works is to pray for GOD'S will to be done.  Of course, I always add my family and have prayed for Ray and others with particular afflictions daily.  I pray as well for friends, our soldiers, political leaders, and GOD'S mercy for all.  You hit the nail on the head in referring us to Ray's article on Praying By GOD'S Rules. I know that GOD is Love and my best hope and prayer is in knowing the our GOD will honor HIS promise found in 1st Timothy 2, verses 1 through 6. I really like the word all. it brings so much comfort to me at all times.
In HIM,

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 04:02:07 PM »

I appreciate your insight Phil 3:10

I agree with your point that we can do nothing good or worthy or fruitful without the Spirit of Christ, or of our selves.

I believe we need know what to pray for, and how, and for who ~ not to leave any to our scorn or rejection. Christ died for all, once and for all.

Thy Will be done, is the wonderful statement of Truth and example of prayer left to us by our Lord and is expounded in the edifications of Praying by God's Rules L Ray Smith. There in are some very valuable insights and wisdom of God.  8)

I enjoy the prayers of our Brother Paul

Php 1:9  And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment;
Col 1:9  For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;
1Th 5:23  And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
1Th 5:25  Brethren, pray for us.
2Th 1:11  Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power:
2Th 3:1  Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you:
Heb 13:18  Pray for us: for we trust we have a good conscience, in all things willing to live honestly.

And a most beautiful prayer that I treasure, is this one ! 8) 8) 8)

Eph 3:14  For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
Eph 3:15  Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,
Eph 3:16  That He would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by His Spirit in the inner man;
Eph 3:17  That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
Eph 3:18  May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;
Eph 3:19  And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.
Eph 3:20  Now unto Him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,
Eph 3:21  Unto Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.

Arc

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 05:00:03 PM »

Arcturus,
Thanks for your quick reply. I did spend the interim re-reading and making a copy of Ray's paper on Praying By God's Rules and have had a most worshipful experience today. Thanks for taking me to Ephesians 14 through 21 and the beauty and truth therein. Oh, to know the love of CHRIST and to be filled with all the fulness of GOD!  It is only by GOD'S spirit that we can find these wonderful treasures and to fully trust that HIS will will be done.  CHRIST and GOD are one in spirit and it is only in seeking a growing and abiding relationship with THEIR SPIRIT that we can understand THEIR perfect truths.  THEIR power is without end and we can have it working within us through THEIR HOLY SPIRIT. Thanks be to the one Spirit waiting until we come to be that perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of CHRIST.
In HIM,

judith collier

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 07:01:39 PM »

Hi Arc, looked up all that brotherly love stuff. While I do naturally love the brethren I also have a general liking for people. And while I do not agree with things carnally speaking I have a soft spot for sinners, I feel very sad for them and usually extend kindness. Having received mercy it is difficult to pick and choose just certain people.
And since I know God's will is for all mankind to be saved I pray for everybody to be saved. It is hard for me to think some poor souls will have to wait until judgement. I did quit trying to keep God on my time schedule though. (some progress) And to how this is to happen also. (more progress)
I am rather picky about certain areas of sin (funny) and my expectations are rather high. I know also God is not like this. This is a matter of patience with me. Anyway thanks, as I did not know we were to love the brethren first and most. Makes sense.
Judy

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 05:22:20 PM »

Well said, Zee.

Even if He did not say any recorded prayers explicitly for them, he ministered to some and died for all.  Every man is required to give account for himself, be he Gandhi or Hitler or a poster on a web-forum. 

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

daywalker

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 05:41:03 PM »

I concur. Well said, Zee.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.