bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Repentance?  (Read 4329 times)

booker

Repentance?
« on: September 04, 2010, 03:57:54 AM »

I have heard many time people telling me repentance means turning away from sin to God.However what does strong's  say?

Strong's G3340 metanoeō

times translated:
repent 34

1) to change one's mind, i.e. to repent

2) to change one's mind for better, heartily to amend with abhorrence of one's past sins

Strong's G3341 metanoia

times translated:
repentance 24

1) a change of mind, as it appears to one who repents, of a purpose he has formed or of something he has done

So.. which one is right?

« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 03:59:33 AM by booker »

Deborah-Leigh

Re: Repentance?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 09:08:50 AM »

.........repentance is a major door to understanding............ 

Repent means to turn around, to go the other way.  Whatever you are doing that’s wrong and sinful and evil and carnal and worldly and everything else, you turn around, you “repent” and you go the other direction.  The scriptures mention a couple of words:

Matthew 18:3 talks about being converted
Matthew 19:28 talks about being regenerated
1Peter 1:3 talks about being born again
John 3:3 talks about being born again

What are all those things?  They’re all one and the same, there’s no difference.  Being begotten anew, being born again, being regenerated, being converted…they are all the same. 
L Ray SmithTranscript of a talk about Repentance

Arc

Samson

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 10:28:53 AM »

Hi Booker,

Repentance means " to change ones Mind with regards to past or intended action and conduct."    
              In Greek, two words are used in connection with repentance: Metanoeo and Metamelomai. The first is composed of Meta, after and noeo (related to nous , the mind, disposition or moral consciousness), meaning " to perceive, note, grasp, recognize or understand." Hence, Metanoeo literally means afterknowing( in contrast to foreknowing) and signifies a change in one's mind, attitude or purpose. Metamelomai, on the other hand, comes from melo, meaning "to care for  or have interest in." The prefix meta(after) gives the verb the sense of regretting (Matt. 21:30; 2Cor. 7:8), or repenting. Of course, only God can CAUSE Humans to repent and most of Humanity won't fully repent in their Lifetime, except God's Chosen Elect, that's why they receive Eonian Life, the Life of the Age. God caused Saul who became Paul to repent. There is no Scriptural Evidence or Theory that He was experiencing any change of mind prior to meeting Christ on the road to Damascus. Read Excerpt of Ray's below in Blue regarding repentance.

REPENTANCE: "I came not to call the righteous, but sinners  to repentance" (Luke 5:32). Strong's #3341 metanoia--"compunction (for guilt), reversal." Metan(the noun) is from #3340, metanoeo (the verb), which means: "to perceive afterwards, implying change... the mind, the seat of moral reflection... hence signifies to change one's mind or purpose" (Vines Concise Dictionary of Bible Words.)
The very first word to humanity out of Jesus' mouth after being tempted by Satan in the wilderness was "repent..." (Matt. 4:17). And what does "repent" mean? It means to change. And what have I been teaching since we started bible-truths.com? That God is changing physical, carnal humanity into the spiritual Image of God. That's what our existence is all about. This is the purpose for humanity. This is the next goal in the plan of God. To make carnal, physical humanity into the Spiritual Image of God. It's all about change. God is going to change the entire human race. And once you understand this first word "repentance," you will understand the other spiritual and pious sounding words of Scripture. They all involve change-changing from what we are into what God isoia .

Hope this helps, Samson.

P.S. Post modified due to my omitting a few key words at 9:48 AM, should have previewed, like I usually do.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 11:49:13 AM by Samson »

longhorn

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 04:41:54 PM »

Repentance is no longer a concern of mine.  It is now OBEDIENCE that I focus on.

Longhorn

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 04:44:44 AM »

It's all the same thing.  It's a gret BIG thing, not a small one.  It's so big a thing that we can't see it all at one time.  Hence all the different words for the different aspects.  I don't believe you will see a man who is repenting without obeying or obeying without repenting.  Or being converted and regenerated without being born again. 

Gen 1:27 And creating is the Elohim humanity in His image. In the image of the Elohim He creates it....
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.