bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sin that leads to death  (Read 5514 times)

gallenwalsh

sin that leads to death
« on: September 05, 2010, 09:35:32 AM »

I want to ask what The apostle Paul meant by categorizing sin into two categories: Some small sin that you can pray about and a rather grievous sin that leads to the lake of fire( I do not say you should pray for that ). There is another category here as well and that is a brother in Christ . I do believe he is speaking regarding another known believer when he says a brother.as in if you see a brother overtaken in a fault. Which leads to another quandary: only Christ knows who are truly his. So are we to consider everyone a brother? Then again if you do not have the holy spirit you are a ******* ( unbeliever ). It can get confusing. But my main concern is the two categories of sin. Can anyone give me an example of the two categories?

mharrell08

Re: sin that leads to death
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 10:27:28 AM »

I want to ask what The apostle Paul meant by categorizing sin into two categories: Some small sin that you can pray about and a rather grievous sin that leads to the lake of fire( I do not say you should pray for that ). There is another category here as well and that is a brother in Christ . I do believe he is speaking regarding another known believer when he says a brother.as in if you see a brother overtaken in a fault. Which leads to another quandary: only Christ knows who are truly his. So are we to consider everyone a brother? Then again if you do not have the holy spirit you are a ******* ( unbeliever ). It can get confusing. But my main concern is the two categories of sin. Can anyone give me an example of the two categories?

John 5:16-17  If anyone should be perceiving his brother sinning a sin not to death, he shall be requesting, and He will be giving him life for those sinning not to death. There is a sin to death: I am not saying that he should be asking concerning that. All injustice is sin, and there is a sin not to death. [CLV]

Hello Gallenwalsh,

I know you said Paul, but I'll assume this is the passage in question. As far as your questions:

I want to ask what The apostle Paul meant by categorizing sin into two categories: Some small sin that you can pray about and a rather grievous sin that leads to the lake of fire( I do not say you should pray for that ).

While John did not categorize sins as small or big, he did say to not ask concerning one particular sin. It is the same one that Christ said that is not to be forgiven in this age as well as the writer of Hebrews stating it brings about a 'worse punishment'.

Matt 12:31-32  Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come

Heb 10:29  Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?

The reason we are told 'not to ask' concerning this is also found in Hebrews:

Heb 10:30-31  For we know Him who said, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. And again, “The LORD will judge His people.” It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

There is another category here as well and that is a brother in Christ . I do believe he is speaking regarding another known believer when he says a brother.as in if you see a brother overtaken in a fault.

I don't see all these 'categories' you speak of. John simply says for one particular sin, do not ask about. Obviously if one believes in this sin in question, they are not truly begotten of God as John says so himself in the next sentence:

John 5:18  We are aware that everyone who has been begotten of God is not sinning, but he who is begotten of God is keeping himself, and the wicked one is not touching him [CLV]

Which leads to another quandary: only Christ knows who are truly his. So are we to consider everyone a brother? Then again if you do not have the holy spirit you are a ******* ( unbeliever ). It can get confusing.

No, only those who do the will of the Father are considered our 'mother, brother, sister, etc.' [Matt 12:50]. It is only confusing when we worry about whether someone else is obeying the Will of God, to our liking. Don't spend time thinking about who's a brother or not but rather practice to love thy neighbor as thyself. When that is done, who is and is not a brother/sister in Christ will be perfectly clear. You shall know them by their fruits as they will know you [Matt 7:19-20].

But my main concern is the two categories of sin. Can anyone give me an example of the two categories?

Again, I don't know why we use terms (like categories) the original writers didn't but that's a discussion for another day. As far as examples, the example that happens with Christ is probably the most accurate:

Matt 12:22-24  Then one was brought to Him who was demon-possessed, blind and mute; and He healed him, so that the blind and mute man both spoke and saw. And all the multitudes were amazed and said, “Could this be the Son of David?” Now when the Pharisees heard it they said, “This fellow does not cast out demons except by Beelzebub, the ruler of the demons.”

This is what caused Jesus to make the pronouncement about the sin not forgiven in this age or the next. It is to call the good works of God evil ["Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness...Isa 5:20]. It's the same as calling the works of Christ 'common' and to 'trample under one's foot', spiritually speaking.

Few do this and the ones that do have no consciousness about it. That's why there is no point in praying that they will turn around, in this age. The Lord will repay according to their works (words, thoughts, actions).

Hope this helps,

Marques

soberxp

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 10:43:30 AM »

marques
is it John 5:18?
1John 5:18  We are aware that everyone who has been begotten of God is not sinning, but he who is begotten of God is keeping himself, and the wicked one is not touching him [CLV] ???
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 11:32:47 AM by soberxp »

gallenwalsh

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 09:19:59 AM »

Thank you for that ! It's a bit odd for me having to learn all over again, what I knew as a much younger man. I truly am "confused" about GOD and life,full of doubt,and fear. but getting much better.Somewhere a long the line I got "lost". I have memory of many scriptures but lost the understanding. Guess I became dark in trespass and sin. " and the light shined in the dark, but the dark comprehended it not. That's me for sure. again thank you for that bit of light.

Joel

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 12:11:49 PM »

1 John, 5:18 We know[absolutely] that any one born of God does not [deliberately and knowingly] practice committing sin, but the One Who was begotten of God carefully watches over and protects him - Christ's divine presence within him preserves him against the evil- and the wicked one does not lay hold ( get a grip) on him or touch[him].

Joel

Kat

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 12:20:51 PM »

Hi Gallenwalsh,

We all have come to know Christ Jesus and are sweep away with this 'first love' for Him. But we all also get caught up in the cares of this life and this world and lose/fall away from that first love. If God has chosen us as an elect He will bring us out of this condition of being lost and give us His wonderful truth. Here is where Ray explains this.

http://bible-truths.com/lake13.html ------------------

THERE MUST COME A ‘FALLING AWAY’ FIRST

I have shown you that John, Paul, Peter, ALL of the apostles, the whole church in Asia, the Seven Churches of Revelation, the entire flock of God’s called, all built their houses upon spiritual sand—in other words EVERYONE ever called by God, falls, falls down, falls away.

The Proverb tells us that, "For a just man falls seven times…" That’s a COMPLETE fall. But strange as it may seem, this is necessary in God’s plan. What happens to a just man after he falls seven times? "…and RISES UP AGAIN" (Prov. 24:16). When he completely falls, he falls from grace. But for those whom God is both calling AND choosing, they will RISE UP AGAIN, for

"Who are you that judges another man’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Yes, he shall be holden up [made to stand up]: for God is able to MAKE HIM STAND" (Rom. 14:4).

We will ALL FALL! But afterwards, God "raises us UP AGAIN," and "makes us STAND." And from that time onward we have this sure promise of which we read before, but I want to read again:

"Now unto Him that is able to KEEP YOU FROM FALLING, and to present you FAULTLESS before the presence of His glory with EXCEEDING JOY, To the Only Wise God Our Saviour, be glory and majesty, and dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen" (Jude 124-25)!

When John’s spiritual house built upon the sand fell down, he was left, standing on the sand of the sea by himself alone with God, and it is then and only then, that he is able to see the wild beast that came up out of the sea.

This wild beast is further identified in Rev. 13:14 when we are told this

"…beast, which had the wound [deadly wound, Ver. 3] by the sword, and DID LIVE."

He was wounded to death, but the wound was healed and he again lived. He also has a mark, and a name, and a number. What is this mysterious number that has baffled scholars, theologians, and saints for centuries? I will not give you the complete answer to this at this time, but will only show you that it is the number of mankind—humanity.

ALL FALL AWAY

I showed numerous times that all: leave their first love, forsake Jesus, look back, blaspheme, build a spiritual house upon the sand, etc.

It is when John is standing on the sand of the sea that he first sees the wild beast come up out of the sea. Now the questions become: "WHEN did John stand upon the sand in HIS life? WHEN do we stand upon the sand in OUR lives?

Answer: When the spiritual house that we all build falls down with a ‘GREAT FALL.’ When (notice I did not say, ‘IF’)…when our spiritual house built upon the spiritual sand falls, WE ARE LEFT STANDING ON THE SAND OF THE SEA. We are only INCHES above the very sea itself—the masses and multitudes of humanity who do not have any knowledge of God AT ALL. It doesn’t mean that we have no knowledge of God at all at this quandary in our spiritual lives; it just means that we are no closer to God than all the humanity in the sea. Hence, we are not IN the sea, but rather standing on the SAND of the sea where out spiritual house just FELL!

And since God is not only calling some of us but choosing us also, God begins to teach us anew. And the first thing He begins to show us is the WILD BEAST coming up out of the sea that is the CAUSE of our being overcome and the CAUSE of our spiritual house falling! This wild beast will be reckoned with by all humanity sooner or later.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,7618.0.html --------------

All we who have "left our First Love" have similar feelings about how stupid, and selfish, and carnal we became.  But it is good to feel guilt and shame. These emotions help to continuously keep us from committing the same sins or to the same degree.  We have to "COME OUT"  of Babylon, and then we need to "STAY OUT."  And the staying out is often as difficult as the coming out. The more we spiritually grow and understand, the more we see our shortcomings.  It is good that God does not show us all of our sins all at once--it would be so over-powering and shameful, that we would have trouble facing another day.  Glad that you have seen the Light.

God be with you,
Ray

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 24 queries.