bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hell in Fiction  (Read 14632 times)

Dawidos

Hell in Fiction
« on: September 08, 2010, 09:54:59 AM »

Well, we don't believe in Hell, but I like what man imagination can creates :D :D. There are "nice" ;) portrayals of Hell for example in Constantine, the movie based on the popular comic book series. A mixture of traditional visions combined with modern architecture, I would say :)

Information from Wikipedia

Hell is depicted in the film as a place which appears to have been struck by a nuclear bomb. According to the DVD commentary, it was indeed based on old nuclear test in which anything in the path of the ensuing shock wave was immediately disintegrated. As of such, the landscape was left crumbling with a constant hue of orange in the sky and immensely strong winds over the land. According to the novel[7] which was released alongside the film, the buildings were lined with blood instead of mortar and the souls of the damned had been crushed in ways that made up the very foundations and building materials of the buildings. In other areas, demons would feast on the souls of the damned in large groups (as is depicted in the film where a great deal of souls are being desecrated by attacking soldier demons). The book also describes how the landscape of hell is a mirror of that of the physical plane: “If you died in Los Angeles, you went to Hell Los Angeles. If you died in New York, you went to Hell New York.” According to Constantine, time in Hell also passes with immense relativity to that of time in the physical plane. While speaking with Angela on his time in Hell immediately after his suicide, he claimed that, "...I was officially dead for only two minutes; but when you cross over, time stops. Take it from me, two minutes in Hell is a lifetime." This was visibly observed towards the end of the film after John’s second suicide.

Some pictures :)

A lot of talking and seeing of Hell, but don't worry - there is also a vision of Heaven.

Information from Wikipedia

Heaven also appears to be a mirror of the physical plane. As seen at the end of the film, Heaven also features the Los Angeles geography, as Hell did, but the city is intermixed with large clouds and a bright, golden sun illuminating the entire city.

Very nice. :) :)

Now, some spoilers
By the way, don't be offended by the gesture shown by the protagonist. It's not directed to God, but to Lucifer/Satan. That's how Constantine expressed his joy of escaping Satan's hand. Aha, the movie implies that the Angels are very jealous of God's love for manking and his continuous mercy towards us (as long as they repent) and that the best way to escape Hell and reedem your person is a altruistic self-sacrifice (Constantine commits another suicide, knowing it will cost him eternity in Hell, but he does it to summon Lucifer and ask him to release another person's soul from Hell, and because of that he is deemed worthy to enter Heaven). I would like to see sequel of this movie very much.

Do you know others movies (funny, scary etc) with depictions of Hell or Heaven?

Shawn Fainn

Re: Hell in Fiction
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 10:26:15 AM »

There seem to be a lot of Heaven/Hell or Apocalyptic type movies that have been released the past few years.

Legion, 2012, etc.. I don't really care too much for them anymore, but used to be a big horror movie buff. I think perhaps one of the weirdest demonic type movies I watched before was an old film named Rawhead Rex. It had some freaky urine/baptism scene that I have never forgotten.

Aside from that, I do still enjoy a good video game. Doom 3 was so scary I got headaches from it - I don't mind going to hell if I have a shotgun/chainsaw to kick some demon booty though. :)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 10:31:33 AM by Shawn »

Aatos

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 03:26:23 PM »

while not a movie, the video game series 'Silent Hill' is about a small town that alter itself to reflect the Hell inside of person.  It reaches into the unconscious mind, and manifests things that the characters would rather not see.

that's all that comes to mind right now.

jassy

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 04:41:16 PM »

While not a depiction of hell the prison planet of Crematoria in the movie Chronicles of Riddick was the best hellish environment I have ever seen.
Whoever thought that up should have been given an oscar for imagination. 

Dawidos

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 04:51:18 PM »

few years.

Legion, 2012, etc.. I don't really care too much for them anymore, but used to be a big horror movie buff.

I hate Legion. Stupid movie with no logic. God losing faith in manking (God without faith, can you imagine?), angels being possessing demons, good fallen archangel with machine guns and the new messiah supposed to be born (if God wants to destroy humankind, why he lets the messiah conception and birth).

I think perhaps one of the weirdest demonic type movies I watched before was an old film named Rawhead Rex. It had some freaky urine/baptism scene that I have never forgotten.

You mean this movie with this scene Rawhead Rex. What is going on? Is it a demon from Hell and this...hmm..priest is his servant or what?

Aside from that, I do still enjoy a good video game. Doom 3 was so scary I got headaches from it - I don't mind going to hell if I have a shotgun/chainsaw to kick some demon booty though. :)

Please, tell me, do you really fight demons from Hell or just aliens from other realm in this game? I would like to try it :)

while not a movie, the video game series 'Silent Hill' is about a small town that alter itself to reflect the Hell inside of person.  It reaches into the unconscious mind, and manifests things that the characters would rather not see.

that's all that comes to mind right now.

I have Silent Hill 2, but I still haven't played it. Anyway, great motif you mentioned

While not a depiction of hell the prison planet of Crematoria in the movie Chronicles of Riddick was the best hellish environment I have ever seen.
Whoever thought that up should have been given an oscar for imagination.

You mean this planet (rocky hell, great :D :D)

do not img anything in Heaven,on earth,on the sea.

Just fun here, nothing serious and spiritual.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 05:02:04 PM by Dawidos »

Samson

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 06:28:17 PM »

Hi Dawidos,

Yes, movie makers have quite an imagination, they take advantage of the popular tastes of movie goers, me included at times. I remember when I was younger watching the Omen movies, the Sentinel, the left behind series. I"ve probably seen most, if not all of these God verses the Devil type movies that were ever made. The funny thing is that the Devil seems to usually win in these Movies or is winning during most of movie, than with five minutes to go, the "good" wins out. It may sound strange, although they are just movies, sometimes they left me depressed. In the Omen Trilogy, the forces of good only do any winning with 5-10 minutes to go after the completion of three movies. I guess that's so the movie viewers are encouraged to see all three movies. Sam Neil who played Damien Thorn(The Anti Christ) turned out to be a pretty good Actor. I believe that was His first movie.

Carry On, Samson.

Dawidos

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 07:41:07 PM »

Hi Samson. It's good to hear from you, you have always something interesting to be said. Yeah, I'm also upset that in many movies evil does many bad things and God, being very "absent", unconcerned, impassive, does nothing to stop it, though he could if he said a word. The another explanation could be that God because of his foreknowledge knows that everything will be alright in the end. Omen movies are very good horrors, lots of scary stuff, but I couldn't shake off a feeling that Anti-Christ was predestined to fail (he was born to deceive many, but destroyed in the end). Another movie, worthy of your attention, is End of Days with Arnold Schwarzenegger. In this motion picture Satan residing in human body teases the main hero, telling him that God doesn't care about manking, laughts at their suffering and observes everything to his amusement. It is implied that God gave Satan a chance to put the world under his rule, but he had to do it by the millenium. He failed and lost his opportunity, probably forever.

I think  the best explanation of God's passive state is movie makers' attachment to the doctrine of free will. Man has free will, he can choose between good and evil, he can refuse to Satan on his own and shape the future of the world by his free-decisions.

Below the pictures of Satan from the movie

« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 07:57:12 PM by Dawidos »

chav

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 08:22:19 PM »

musicman

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9HvtfCBtZc

Watch the first minute.  By the way, the Title of this thread "Hell in Fiction" is rather redundant.

Shawn Fainn

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 10:30:27 AM »

You mean this movie with this scene Rawhead Rex. What is going on? Is it a demon from Hell and this...hmm..priest is his servant or what?

I can't check the link, but that's probably it. If I remember correctly they either summoned a demonic beast or 'satan'. The beast made the priest submit to him (hmm.. irony), then baptised the priest with his urine.

Please, tell me, do you really fight demons from Hell or just aliens from other realm in this game? I would like to try it :)

Yeah, you start off on a military base on Mars where scientists are experimenting with dimensional travel. They open up a portal to Hell, the base is overrun with demons and you get the pleasure of fighting them all the way back to Hell to stop their invasion. :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 10:33:00 AM by Shawn »

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 12:27:26 PM »

2Co 10:4  For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;

Eph 6:12  For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Arc

daywalker

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 03:00:37 PM »

I'm personally a huge fan of Supernatural!!! Love that show  8)

Dawidos

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 04:57:37 PM »

Tell us more about it. I know I can find information on the Internet, but I like hearing opinions from other, living people. It makes for me bigger difference than "raw" information, which are found to be everywhere.

Aatos

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 05:38:38 PM »

Dawidos, if you haven't heard of Supernatural, that surprises me, because the guy in your icon looks like the same guy that decided to become Lucifer's temporary vessel in season 5.

On topic,  I don't remember too much about it, but I do remember that one of the aspects of the Supernatural hell was that when the time was right, some of the of tortured souls would get to become the torturers. 

jassy

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 07:07:39 AM »

Tell us more about it. I know I can find information on the Internet, but I like hearing opinions from other, living people. It makes for me bigger difference than "raw" information, which are found to be everywhere.

If you ever get hold of the series watch season 1 only. Remember this is my own opinion. Good scary stuff. The first episode was one you watched with a partner ;D
People who moved in pictures, haunted houses, ghostly hitchhikers. Name it and it was there. Lots of fun. The second season got stupid. Demonic possesion. People helpless against the forces of evil. And only two good looking dudes to save them. I only got through one episode so maby it got better.

The british seem to get it right. They make a good series and keep it short and sweet. The BBC  rendition of Dr Jekyll is an example if you want to watch another out there series. Fantastic acting by James Nesbit.

daywalker

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 07:02:53 PM »

If you ever get hold of the series watch season 1 only. Remember this is my own opinion. Good scary stuff. The first episode was one you watched with a partner ;D
People who moved in pictures, haunted houses, ghostly hitchhikers. Name it and it was there. Lots of fun. The second season got stupid. Demonic possesion. People helpless against the forces of evil. And only two good looking dudes to save them. I only got through one episode so maby it got better.

The british seem to get it right. They make a good series and keep it short and sweet. The BBC  rendition of Dr Jekyll is an example if you want to watch another out there series. Fantastic acting by James Nesbit.

Actually, there are a ton of "hunters" [as they're called] in Supernatural. It's just that Sam and Dean are the main characters. You have to keep in mind that it is fictional or else it can seem pretty stupid [as all sci-fi shows are if you're expecting it to 'make complete sense'].

Anyway, it's not everyone, obviously... but it's my favorite show... maybe ever...

It's basically a show where Sam and Dean are the sons of a guy who was a "hunter". A hunter is a person who searches out the "paranormal" and "supernatural" and protects people from them--forces that policemen, fbi, doctors, etc. are unable to protect people from because their focused on the 'logical' or 'scientific' solution to 'supernatural' problems. The story gets very in-depth as the seasons continue... you learn that Sam was 'chosen' by a powerful demon to be the leader of an army of demons--to which he "respectfully" declines. Then later you learn that Sam is actually destined to be............................ while Dean is destined to.............. well, i can't tell you EVERYTHING, that would just be rude!  :D

If you love paranormal, supernatural shows, then I don't see how you couldn't fall in love with this one. It has everything--vampires, werewolves, ghosts, zombies, witches, warlocks, angels, demons, gods, etc, etc, etc... oh, and the show is hilarious also! There's also the dramatic side which involves two brothers fighting against each other sometimes as much as they are fighting against the world of darkness... It's a great show.

Daywalker  8)

« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 07:09:29 PM by daywalker »

daywalker

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 07:16:06 PM »

well, i can't tell you EVERYTHING, that would just be rude!  :D

Daywalker  8)

??? why can't tell ???

Well, for starters, it's already had 6 complete seasons [season 7 debuts Sept. 24th!!] ...that'd be a pretty longgggg post  :D ;)

booker

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2010, 05:59:35 AM »

I don't think any depictions you guys have, can compete with  what is found on this site.

Check this site out http://***no teaching links allowed***

« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 09:23:35 AM by mharrell08 »

jassy

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2010, 12:41:20 PM »

Actually, there are a ton of "hunters" [as they're called] in Supernatural. It's just that Sam and Dean are the main characters. You have to keep in mind that it is fictional or else it can seem pretty stupid [as all sci-fi shows are if you're expecting it to 'make complete sense'].

Anyway, it's not everyone, obviously... but it's my favorite show... maybe ever...

I stand corrected. Should not have really given an opinion. Did not even know there were seven seasons. Think it depends on your emotional state at the time.
There are times I can watch Dexter with great enjoyment and times I freak out at Babylon 5.
Women ::) cant take them anywhere, not even back to apologise ;D

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.