bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: An Encouraging Thought About Death:brain and nerve damage  (Read 12699 times)

Gabriel

An Encouraging Thought About Death:brain and nerve damage
« on: September 15, 2010, 08:38:26 PM »

I was thinking about Ray's paper An Encouraging Thought About Death, and how science can be a useful aid in studying scripture and also disproving traditions of men so it came to me if we really go "somewhere else" when we die why is it that when we suffer brain damage or something else that can cause us to lose our memory well...why do we lose our memory??? or how about nerve damage? So if we really had an "immortal soul" like most of the church teaches we should be able to keep our thoughts and sensations regardless! Just a thought  :)

Gabriel
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 08:39:53 PM by Gabriel »

daywalker

Re: An Encouraging Thought About Death:brain and nerve damage
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 10:48:53 PM »

I was thinking about Ray's paper An Encouraging Thought About Death, and how science can be a useful aid in studying scripture and also disproving traditions of men so it came to me if we really go "somewhere else" when we die why is it that when we suffer brain damage or something else that can cause us to lose our memory well...why do we lose our memory??? or how about nerve damage? So if we really had an "immortal soul" like most of the church teaches we should be able to keep our thoughts and sensations regardless! Just a thought  :)

Gabriel

Good thought.

What Christians, pagans, and all those under organized religion fail to understand is that we don't "have" souls, we ourselves ARE "living souls". Humans and animals are living souls who are given life through the Spirit ["Breath"] of God. People mistakenly use "soul" and "spirit" interchangeably. But they are nothing alike.

I've been trying to help my mom understand this for over a year now. She's really the only person that I talk to about this stuff. I finally was able to free her of the Rapture theory a few months ago, and she now understands what those verses actually mean, so at least we're getting somewhere.  ;D

Daywalker  8)

Kat

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 12:59:16 AM »

Hi Gabriel,

why is it that when we suffer brain damage or something else that can cause us to lose our memory well...why do we lose our memory??? or how about nerve damage?

When someone suffers brain damage the brain which is a physical organ becomes impaired and does not function proper. So if the part of the brain that is used for our memory is damaged, then that part no longer does what it was designed to do... right? Now if a person has a damaged arm, leg or eye, then that body part will no longer work properly either... right? So these things that happen to the physical body it will effect our physical life now.

When everyone is resurrected back to life at the resurrection of the dead, it is my belief that Christ will heal the physical ailments of people and restore or correct their physical body. If you think about it this was a big part of His earthly ministery, healing and certainly He will not change. So I think when He heals a person's damaged brain and it is made right He will also restore their memory. Just like a person that has his arm, leg or eye restored would then be able to use it too. I really don't see how it has anything to do with an immortal soul.

This is just what I think and hope that it is of some help.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Gabriel

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 01:32:14 AM »

We are living souls. I don't believe in an immortal soul but through my post I was showing that we don't keep our thoughts and sensations after death and brain and nerve damage in life can prove this, so we aren't alive in some other place when we die like most of the church teaches. I told this to a friend once and she said well "I never thought of it that way before."  :)

God be with you all,

Gabriel
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 01:34:45 AM by Gabriel »

Kat

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 01:35:54 AM »

Yes that is a good point and I agree.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Samson

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 10:09:53 AM »

Gabriel

Hi Gabriel,

Your above Post displays a logical and thinking analysis and displays good reasoning. It certainly helps me to appreciate that Our Conscious Thoughts don't exist beyond This Life. All of Us require a Resurrection from the Dead. Your Post further supports Ecclesiastes. 9:5,10; Psalms. 146:3,4; Psalm. 104:29,30; Ecclesiastes. 3:19,20. Paraphrase from these passages: " Dead are conscious of nothing." Spirit goes out, thoughts do perish." " Mankind and Beast return to the Dust." etc, etc. Sorry, I don't have E sword, my Wife was supposed to retrieve it from wherever it disappeared.

But, Here's the thing Gabriel, some people like You and I and Others at BT desire facts, have reasoning skills, want to know the truth, take the time to investigate and desire to know more. God is the CAUSE of this All in us desiring these Truths and hungering for more. How often do We reason with people using clear irrefutable facts and they can't see it and don't want it. Some have said it's a miracle that anyone finds out about these truths that We learn here and Some have said it's even amazing that they don't see it. In my experiences, believing in "Free Will" and "The Immortality of Some Conscious Thought that lives On" seem to be tied for first place among those that are Spiritually deceived. Indeed, it's a Strong Idol of the Heart. The groundwork on those teachings begin early on in Childhood, those were probably the first two spiritual lies that I was taught growing up and by Parents that didn't even go or care about Church. Sad but True, most of Mankind will continue to believe these lies until the day they die. That's why there's much Joy when someone is given the Truth about these things and We get to know them. After all, sometimes it gets lonely out here in the World, Spiritually speaking,  ;).

Appreciated Your Points, Samson.

gmik

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 02:15:53 PM »

Very interesting thread.  Just went to a funeral and they think the fun begins...He is looking down, he is playing baseball, he is etc etc....The dead are dead till the resurrection. ! Cor 15:25-28 and 53-56 is a good timeline.

Dawidos

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 03:02:58 PM »

Very interesting thread.  Just went to a funeral and they think the fun begins...He is looking down, he is playing baseball, he is etc etc....The dead are dead till the resurrection. ! Cor 15:25-28 and 53-56 is a good timeline.

Gmik, this has become a big problem for me now. I believe in the Scriptures, but having empathy I have no heart to tell somebody stricken by personal tragedy like death of someone close to him/her that what they believe is a false doctrine. Try to imagine this kind of situation - you have to talk to a father whose daughter has been raped and murdered and he consoles himself, stating that his daughter is in Heaven now. But you berates him, stating she is completely dead, her body is now decaying in a grave, she has absolutely no consciousness at all, theoretically she ceased to exist. And her executioner is alive and at large.
What I say next might be shocking for some, but sometimes I think a lie is better than a truth. I don't think we should "enforce" that truth at any cost, we should wait for better opportunity or count on that God will lead this person to the truth at a proper time.

Gmik, please don't feel offended by my statement. I didn't mean to judge you and I don't imply you have no sensitivity and empathy inside of you.

God, bless you

Dawidos

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 03:20:02 PM »

Janine, I see you understand me perfectly :) If this lie "helps" somebody to go through hard moments of his/her life, then maybe let him/her "live" in this lie, until good opportunity comes up to reveal the truth to this person.

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 03:31:45 PM »

I would not correct the "little lie" at those times, but neither would I instigate or further it either.  Sometimes silence is golden.

Craig

Dawidos

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 03:33:00 PM »

Well spoken, Craig :)

Shawn Fainn

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 03:34:10 PM »

Dawidos, I understand what you're saying perfectly. We should always try to be gentle in spirit in how we deliver things.

However, on the flip side, we must also be honest and firm with upholding truth.

Sometimes, I think part of our tribulation IS the hate we receive from our brothers/sisters when we tell the truth.. Because the truth often hurts.

Each of us have to find the balance in our approach, and unfortunately that mostly comes from trial and error (the most painful way as well).

Dawidos

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 03:41:56 PM »

Indeed, there are :) :) I thinkt Shawn has spoken great wisdom, especially in this statement

Sometimes, I think part of our tribulation IS the hate we receive from our brothers/sisters when we tell the truth.. Because the truth often hurts

Marky Mark

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 04:36:40 PM »

Janine, I see you understand me perfectly :) If this lie "helps" somebody to go through hard moments of his/her life, then maybe let him/her "live" in this lie, until good opportunity comes up to reveal the truth to this person.

We walk on shaky ground thinking that a little lie is alright in our Spiritual journey.No matter how small the lie may be,none the less, a sin is a sin and all sinners will have their place in the lake of fire.

Rev 21:8   and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Carnal thinking is unacceptable in Spirit and Truth.
I agree with Craig, it is best at times to keep quiet and to let Gods work be done as needed, to the one in need.

Here is a great Word picture about Christ's feelings on the dead...

Mat 8:21  And another of His disciples said to him, Lord, allow me first to go and bury my father.
 Mat 8:22  Jesus answered, "Come with me, and let the dead bury their dead."

As hard as it may seem at times,dying to ones self is something that must take place if The Kingdom is the intended target.

Mat 5:10  Happy, they who have been persecuted for righteousness’ sake; for, theirs, is the kingdom of the heavens.

Peace...Mark

Dawidos

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 06:09:48 PM »

Agree, Mark. I meant remaining silent to not hurt somebody during the worst period of his/her life, not telling them more lies.

Phil3:10

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 07:34:47 PM »

My thought is when you are dead, you will know nothing. Time means nothing, there are no dimensions until resurrection. I just don't agree with the preachers that say Sister so-in-so is with the Lord right now. She knows nothing and will not know anything until the resurrection.
In HIM,

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 07:41:19 PM »

To All,
I need some help as I have opened my mouth when maybe I should have kept it close. I told a friend that I believe that GOD will save all, including Satan. He was very disturbed and thinks I am way over board. I tried to explain that I thought GOD would save Hitler, Ted Bundy and many others but only through fire and age abiding correction. He is not at all receptive and said he did not want to talk further. Any support or correction will be very much appreciated.
In HIM,

mharrell08

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 07:59:35 PM »

To All,
I need some help as I have opened my mouth when maybe I should have kept it close. I told a friend that I believe that GOD will save all, including Satan. He was very disturbed and thinks I am way over board. I tried to explain that I thought GOD would save Hitler, Ted Bundy and many others but only through fire and age abiding correction. He is not at all receptive and said he did not want to talk further. Any support or correction will be very much appreciated.
In HIM,

Matt 12:30  He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters abroad.

Luke 11:23  He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters.

Acts 5:38-39  ...if this plan or this work is of men, it will come to nothing; but if it is of God, you cannot overthrow it—lest you even be found to fight against God

Like the 1st passage says, he who is NOT with Christ is against Christ. So to your friend you can let it be known it's not about agreeing with you but abiding in what God says He will do.

As for the 2nd passage, if it is of God, one cannot overthrow it. So to your friend you can use this as an example that it makes no difference to get all in a huff...if it is of God it will prevail, if it is not, it will fail.

Marques

Gabriel

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 08:01:19 PM »

We could just tell them that their loved ones are sleeping, and it would not even be a lie.  :)

Gabriel

Marky Mark

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 08:37:02 PM »

Agree, Mark. I meant remaining silent to not hurt somebody during the worst period of his/her life, not telling them more lies.

Dawidos ,sorry for the misinterpretation of the point you were making.
My bad. :-[
Thank-you.
Carry on.  8)

Peace...Mark
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.