bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: confidence and faith  (Read 4882 times)

gallenwalsh

confidence and faith
« on: September 18, 2010, 12:26:41 AM »

are they the same ?

Akira329

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
Re: confidence and faith
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 01:21:01 AM »

Hey Gallenwalsh,

I would say faith is implied in confidence

Antaiwan
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

gmik

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 02:31:01 AM »

cool question!

In my own walk w/ the Lord  when I have confidence I am absolutely sure-positive!!

There is some wiggle room when I have "faith"--there is a little "hope" in there.

thats just my life, not what the dictionary says.

Why do you ask this??

mharrell08

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 11:37:37 AM »

Confidence and Faith

are they the same?

Heb 11:1  Now faith is assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

John 5:14  This is the confidence which we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.

1 John 4:17  By this, love is perfected with us, so that we may have confidence in the day of judgment; because as He is, so also are we in this world

From it's usage, I would say they are either the same or pretty close...either way, they overlap in usage. The 'assurance of things hoped for' as well as 'the conviction of things not seen' could easily be referred to as confidence.

But one must be clear in which form of 'confidence' they are referring to. Sometimes, people speak of confidence, but from their conversation, they are referring to 'self-confidence' which is not the same.

Marques

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 12:16:03 PM »

Hi Gallenwalsh

Like our brother Marques says so well.  8)

Your question sent me to look at the e-Sword and from what I find there, the words and meanings of faith and confidence I believe too, can be seen as one just like all the Parables of our Lord are one. 8)

We have faith and our faith is OF the FAITH of Christ  Eph 1:14  Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of His Glory.

confidence as it appears to Psalm 65:5  By terrible things in righteousness wilt thou answer us, O God of our salvation; who art the CONFIDENCE of all the ends of the earth, and of them that are afar off upon the sea:

From H982; properly a refuge, that is, (objectively) security, or (subjectively) assurance: - confidence, hope, sure, trust.

The confidence as it appears in  Eze 28:26  And they shall dwell safely therein, and shall build houses, and plant vineyards; yes, they shall dwell with CONFIDENCE, when I have executed judgments upon all those that despise them around them; and they shall know that I am the LORD their God.

From H982; properly a place of refuge; abstractly safety, both the fact (security) and the feeling (trust); often (adverbially with or without preposition) safely: - assurance, boldly, (without) care (-less), confidence, hope, safe (-ly, -ty), secure, surely.

2Co 13:5  examine yourselves, whether you are in the FAITH, prove your own selves. Do you not know your own selves, that Jesus Christ is in you, unless you are reprobates?

From G3982; persuasion, that is, credence; moral conviction (of religious truth, or the truthfulness of God or a religious teacher), especially reliance upon Christ for salvation; abstractly constancy in such profession; by extension the system of religious (Gospel) truth itself: - assurance, belief, believe, faith, fidelity.

So assurance, belief and fidelity may be the same as faith yet that Faith of Christ, ~ not meaning the portion we receive as a gift from Christ ~ HIS FAITH, His Faithfulness that has been tried, tested and proven true,   I believe THAT  FAITH has a more profound meaning not found in any dictionary or made visible through any letter of the word.

So for me, comparing spiritual with spiritual, the words confidence and faith are one. :D as in confidence, faith, belief, fidelity, trust and hope Of Christ ~ is of God and God is One. :)

Arc

HoneyLamb56

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 12:58:34 PM »

I think one can be confident about situations/things but do not have to have faith, for instance, a job interview;  you can be confident about how well you did; anyone can have self assuarance (arrogance?).  I think having faith gives you the confidence you need for the outcome; i.e. I feel confident about the interview but my faith will help me if I don't get the job (to deal with rejection) or if I do get the job (giving thanksl)-- whatever God wills.  So I guess for a believer it goes hand in hand; for a non believer I would say it doesn't. 

judith collier

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 01:18:14 PM »

To all, yes!!!! My faith has brought me confidence, not in myself but I know God is always there so I fear less and trust more. I am confident of his love even though I go through phases where it is very dry but He brings me back!1
judy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.