bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1 Corinthians 10:1-4  (Read 3936 times)

Gabriel

1 Corinthians 10:1-4
« on: September 20, 2010, 04:41:27 AM »

1Co 10:1  Moreover, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware that all our fathers were under the cloud, all passed through the sea,
1Co 10:2  all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea,
1Co 10:3  all ate the same spiritual food,
1Co 10:4  and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ.

I have alot of trouble understanding 1 Corinthians (and who it was written to) when I read verses like the ones above. I've tried reading it in context with the other chapters. I'm sure that I am just misunderstanding the text, but being a Gentile the scriptures to the world have always been important to me  :) my question is who was 1 Corinthians written mainly for Jews or Gentiles? ???

God be with you all,

Gabriel

G. Driggs

Re: 1 Corinthians 10:1-4
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 07:05:00 AM »

Hi Gabriel,

Paul first went to the Jews with the Word of God, but because they wouldn't listen He then focused on the Gentiles only.

Act 13:46  Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles.

Act 18:5  And when Silas and Timotheus were come from Macedonia, Paul was pressed in the spirit, and testified to the Jews that Jesus was Christ.
Act 18:6  And when they opposed themselves, and blasphemed, he shook his raiment, and said unto them, Your blood be upon your own heads; I am clean: from henceforth I will go unto the Gentiles.

Here we see where Jesus commissioned Paul for the Gentiles only.

Act 26:15  And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest.
Act 26:16  But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee;
Act 26:17  Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee,
Act 26:18  To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.
Act 26:19  Whereupon, O king Agrippa, I was not disobedient unto the heavenly vision:
Act 26:20  But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

Rom 15:16  That I should be the minister of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles, ministering the gospel of God, that the offering up of the Gentiles might be acceptable, being sanctified by the Holy Ghost.

G.Driggs

p.s. I was reading the same verses you asked about only an hour ago, so I just had to reply :)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 07:15:24 AM by G. Driggs »

Kat

Re: 1 Corinthians 10:1-4
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 11:18:13 AM »

Hi Gabriel,

The Corinthian church was mixed with more Gentiles, but there were Jews too. So Paul was constantly dealing with false teachers coming in and trying to undermind the truth he had taught them. there was also their old beliefs to contend with, such as superstition of the Gentiles, but also the Jews were trying to Judaize the Gentiles. So in this letter in chapter 10 Paul is speaking to this chuerch of believers and at this point he is trying to expose the Jews by speaking of their history of great privileges, yet they were terribly punished by God for their many sins. And Paul tells them/us why all these things happened.

1Co 10:6  Now these things became our examples, to the intent that we should not lust after evil things as they also lusted.

Hope that is of some help.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 17 queries.