bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Because it's easy to be rude on the Internet  (Read 12591 times)

mharrell08

Because it's easy to be rude on the Internet
« on: September 21, 2010, 06:16:35 PM »

FYI: http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,6918.msg55148.html#msg55148

Normally, I don't like bringing back old topics. No particular reason why, but I do try to avoid it.

This was on an early thread of mine and the 1st time I heard from Dennis. I was thinking about recent forum activity and thought of his words:

Because it's easy to be rude on the Internet.

Because it's impossible to tell someones tone in a post (they may not have meant it to sound so abrasive).

Because some here are religious hobbyists.

Because too many think they are called to be teachers.

Because some here know their beliefs line up with bible-truths.com but forget they too were once deceived.

Because we are all stubborn and prideful (as noted).

That said, we still need to be aware of the wolves in among the sheep. Every few weeks we get someone pretending to be one of us but whose real purpose is to "set us straight." So we need to be careful. Some here are too zealous and over react, but react we must, just not with malice, please.

I highlighted the 1st comment because of the excuse some members use when they are rude. It goes similar to this: 'Well, Jesus was considered rude and we are supposed to be like Him!'

Oh, how we belittle our Lord and Savior. Jesus spoke out against the Jews with their hypocrisy toward their fellow man. He spoke against their willingness to KILL another fellow Jew for the sake of their position in society [John 11:45-57].

We cut one another down in silly debates about petty topics. That is NOT being like Christ.

For as many members talk about the Spirit indwelling, it sure isn't producing any fruit lately. Spiritual conversion takes a LIFETIME...YOUR LIFETIME. When one thinks they are close to being finished, it only highlights how far away they really are.

In short: Let's treat each other better. Let's give one another the benefit of the doubt. READ a person's post, entirely, before responding. Let the other member have the last word...if you feel that strongly about the subject, your silence will speak volumes.

Thanks,

Marques

grapehound

Re: Because it's easy to be rude on the Internet
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 06:25:29 PM »

Thank you Marques,
Every blessing.

Grape

Stacey

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 08:38:40 PM »

if you feel that strongly about the subject, your silence will speak volumes.

AMEN!! <-- Wait, oops, sorry, should just be quite about it.  :) No but, seriously, THANK YOU Marques!
Stacey

arion

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 08:54:17 PM »

Because it's easy to be rude on the Internet.

I've been on both sides of that equation before.  It's easy to misunderstand what another person is saying because you don't get the benefit of facial expressions, voice inflections and you can't hear the sincerity or lack thereof in the voice.  I like to use the emoticons at times to let people know a little bit more as to where I'm coming from.   ;D  It's a good reminder and it also helps to keep in mind that we all still have feet of clay, there is still a measure of deception in all of us yet that God is still working out and none of us have yet arrived at full spiritual maturity.

Shawn Fainn

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 10:41:09 AM »

Good post, brother.

musicman

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 12:03:23 PM »

Yeah, rude people are so stupid!!  (musicman has angry sneer on face).

Roy Martin

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 02:44:15 PM »

Because its easy to be rude on the internet;
 Okay, but I'm more concerned with why and what lesson is in it for me.I want to know why I say the things I say,why I reacted negative to someone, why were they negative or rude, how did I take it, how did it make me feel, how did it make them feel, was I carnal puffed up, angry, disappointed, etc. etc. The questions in my head and heart never stop day and night, and it all leads to basically the same thing. It humbles me to know that all is of God. It makes me stop blaming and judging people out of anger and offense, and expectations, because God is in control. Things and people are as they are for us to learn and be humbled. We are tested over and over and will continue to be tested until God gives us a passing grade.
 Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I've learned from, and see in Rays writing attached below.

Lake of Fire  part15

THEY KNEW NOT THAT IS WAS OF THE LORD

This "knowing not" is still the problem with the world and with God’s people and church. If they only "KNEW" what the Lord is doing and why He is doing it, there wouldn’t be a thousand differing denominations in the church today. If they only "KNEW" that their lives are totally in the hands of God they wouldn’t be as spiritually frustrated as many are. If they only "KNEW" that ALL IS OF GOD, they could have a quiet confidence that all will turn out well, not for just those who "are loving God," but eventually for the whole world.

"That they may SEE, and KNOW, and CONSIDER, and UNDERSTAND together, that THE HAND OF THE LORD HAS DONE THIS…" (Isa. 41:20).

Done what? Done only the "context, context, context" of Isaiah chapter 40 only? Or the context of the whole book of Isaiah only? No, the entire Bible is filled with such statements regarding a whole plethora of thoughts, plans, and activities of mankind, in every conceivable context:

"And ALL THINGS ARE OF GOD…" (II Cor. 5:18).

"For OF HIM, and THROUGH HIM, and TO HIM, are ALL THINGS: to Whom be glory for ever. Amen" (Rom. 11:36).

"For it became Him, FOR Whom are all things, and BY Whom are all things…" (Heb. 2:10).

"And He is before ALL things, and by Him ALL things consist" (Col. 1:17).

"In Whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of Him who WORKS ALL THINGS AFTER THE COUNSEL OF HIS OWN WILL" (Eph. 1:11).

"Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like Me.

Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, MY COUNSEL SHALL STAND, and I WILL DO ALL MY PLEASURE: Calling a ravenous bird from the east, the man that executes My counsel from a far country: yea, I have spoken it, I WILL ALSO BRING IT TO PASS; I HAVE PURPOSED IT, I WILL ALSO DO IT" (Isa. 4 6:9-11).

"The lot is cast into the lap; but the WHOLE DISPOSING THEREOF IS OF THE LORD" (Prov. 16:33).

"For it is GOD which works in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure (Phil. 2:13).

"The preparations of the heart in man, and the answer of the tongue, IS FROM THE LORD" (Prov. 16:1). [Regardless of the proper translation of the first half of this verse, the second half is emphatically] "…FROM THE LORD."

"O Lord, I know that the way of man is NOT IN HIMSELF [not in his will or choice] it is not in man that walks to direct his steps [he is not ‘free’ to choice where he will walk]" (Jer. 10:23).

"Man’s goings [steps] are OF THE LORD; how can a man then understand his own way?" (Prov. 20:24).

But of what value are these many Scriptures that I have cited if we don’t believe any of them? Is there even ONE Scripture that I have cited above that you believe to be an ABSOLUTE AND TRUE STATEMENT OF GOD regarding man and his ability to will and choose independently of God? Well if you can agree that even ONE of them is absolutely true, then you must admit that God and the Scriptures allow no place for any reality of man having his OWN WILL that is FREE from the sovereignty of God’s operations of all.

No, it was "the hand of the LORD" that caused Israel to first say they would obey and later decide to not obey. It was "the hand of the LORD" that caused Joseph’s brothers to hate him, sell him into slavery, and then later to bow down to him. It was "the hand of the LORD" that put Samson and the Philistine woman together, but as with these and hundreds of more dealings by "the hand of the Lord" mentioned in Scripture, they "KNEW NOT THAT IT WAS OF THE LORD."

Do you "know NOT" that all that you have said and done today, "was OF THE LORD?"

Most of humanity is born, lives, does evil and good, then dies, and "KNEW NOT THAT IT WAS OF THE LORD."

In Part C of this series, I will show you a statement where God Himself tells us that when He uses someone for His purpose, the one being used thinks that he himself is planning and carrying out the desires of his own heart and is making the choices of his own will; whereas God tells us that it is HE and not the one being used that is in totally control of everything, and that the one being used is totally unaware that he is being used like an inanimate object that doesn’t even have a brain!

Yes, God tells us that this is how He operates in ALL THE INHABITANTS OF THE EARTH! A few have been aware of God’s operation of all, down through the centuries; most however, have not. I will share these Scriptures with you next time. Robots? Nay, we are but clay (albeit ‘fearfully and wonderfully made’ clay, Psalm 139:14) in the hands of the Master Potter.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 03:16:43 PM by Roy Martin »

jassy

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 03:11:39 PM »

ok, gonna have a little rant. Always wanted to. But your post makes me feel I can.
After a few years on internet and reading blogs and comments on U tube ect ect. I began to wonder, Was I brought up in an igloo on planet Manners? Or am I just a naive twit with no idea on whats happening in the world today?

I have always previewed a post, especially when I am angry or disagree to make sure I am getting my point through in the best way possible. I dont know if the person on the other side is depressive, fragile or on the borderline of suicide. There are precious few people who can be witty, sarcastic  and disagree with your viewpoint and make you laugh and shrug it off. These people are normally of above average intelligence and empathic.  I am intelligent but not in that league and dont even try.

I am not afraid of anybody and scared of offending. Its just called decency in my book. Why lambaste a person just because  I will never meet him face to face and answer to him? What happens in your tiny little mind that makes you think humiliating a soul on the internet is ok? I have not seen it on this forum in the way on others. But had to have little rant.

love you all
jassy

musicman

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 03:55:01 PM »

I'm like that kid on the playground that waits for others to pick on somebody and then I jump in for some fun.  Unless you're a heller.  Then I blast you regardless of who agrees with ya.

Shawn Fainn

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 04:14:16 PM »

I'm like that kid on the playground that waits for others to pick on somebody and then I jump in for some fun.  Unless you're a heller.  Then I blast you regardless of who agrees with ya.

Rofl

Marky Mark

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 04:16:52 PM »

Spiritual conversion takes a LIFETIME...YOUR LIFETIME. When one thinks they are close to being finished, it only highlights how far away they really are.

Marques,so true,thanks...

Jas 1:4  But you must learn to endure everything, so that you will be completely mature and not lacking in anything.

Eph 4:13  This will continue until we are united by our faith and by our understanding of the Son of God. Then we will be mature, just as Christ is, and we will be completely like him.

Peace...Mark
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 05:37:53 PM by Marky Mark »

Linny

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 05:33:15 PM »

LOL Jassy! I think maybe we're sisters because I think I was raised in that same igloo!  :D
You said something that got me thinking.

"Why lambaste a person just because I will never meet him face to face and answer to him?"

I have always felt like those who seem to get a kick out of saying those kinds of things were just showing their broken hearts. Maybe they hit those who won't hit back?
Anyway, I try to see it from that perspective and it helps me not get so mad but rather feel sad for them.

Mat 5:44  But I tell you to love your enemies and pray for anyone who mistreats you.
Mat 5:45  Then you will be acting like your Father in heaven. He makes the sun rise on both good and bad people. And he sends rain for the ones who do right and for the ones who do wrong.
Mat 5:46  If you love only those people who love you, will God reward you for that? Even tax collectors love their friends.

jassy

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 05:38:31 PM »

So thats cool? To jump in when somebody is being lambasted and make it worse?  To make the kid on the playground feel more like a fool? Wow. I am more naive than what I thought.

jassy

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 05:55:52 PM »

LOL Jassy! I think maybe we're sisters because I think I was raised in that same igloo!  :D
You said something that got me thinking.

"Why lambaste a person just because I will never meet him face to face and answer to him?"

I have always felt like those who seem to get a kick out of saying those kinds of things were just showing their broken hearts. Maybe they hit those who won't hit back?
Anyway, I try to see it from that perspective and it helps me not get so mad but rather feel sad for them.

Mat 5:44  But I tell you to love your enemies and pray for anyone who mistreats you.
Mat 5:45  Then you will be acting like your Father in heaven. He makes the sun rise on both good and bad people. And he sends rain for the ones who do right and for the ones who do wrong.
Mat 5:46  If you love only those people who love you, will God reward you for that? Even tax collectors love their friends.

Thanks Linny.  Everybody has a purpose, including the posters on the internet. And Musicman, maby I misread your post and did not preview enough ;D

grapehound

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 08:42:13 PM »

2Ti 2:14 Of these things be reminding them, conjuring them in the Lord's sight not to engage in controversy for nothing useful, to the upsetting of those who are hearing."

daywalker

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 09:30:41 PM »

Why lambaste a person just because  I will never meet him face to face and answer to him? What happens in your tiny little mind that makes you think humiliating a soul on the internet is ok?
jassy

I imagine it's the same reasons why an otherwise friendly, caring person quickly becomes a rage-filled lunatic the moment they get behind the wheel of a car. It's fascinating how our personalities can alter so drastically when we're driving on the road and the person in front of us is going slower than we want them to.  ??? Of course, it's so easy to flip a guy off while inside a big, safe Toyota Tundra; not so much though if he had cut you off in a line at the grocery store.  :D

Daywalker  8)

PS: Anyone here ever see that old Disney b&w cartoon where Goofy plays that guy who's well-mannered and dressed nice, but then his hear becomes spiked and his face turns scary when he starts driving? LOL

musicman

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 11:01:31 AM »

So thats cool? To jump in when somebody is being lambasted and make it worse?  To make the kid on the playground feel more like a fool? Wow. I am more naive than what I thought.

Nobody that does that would actually admit it.  Let's try and detect humor when it is obvious.

Samson

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 11:35:01 AM »

ok, gonna have a little rant. Always wanted to. But your post makes me feel I can.
After a few years on internet and reading blogs and comments on U tube ect ect. I began to wonder, Was I brought up in an igloo on planet Manners? Or am I just a naive twit with no idea on whats happening in the world today?

I have always previewed a post, especially when I am angry or disagree to make sure I am getting my point through in the best way possible. I dont know if the person on the other side is depressive, fragile or on the borderline of suicide. There are precious few people who can be witty, sarcastic  and disagree with your viewpoint and make you laugh and shrug it off. These people are normally of above average intelligence and empathic.  I am intelligent but not in that league and dont even try.

I am not afraid of anybody and scared of offending. Its just called decency in my book. Why lambaste a person just because  I will never meet him face to face and answer to him? What happens in your tiny little mind that makes you think humiliating a soul on the internet is ok? I have not seen it on this forum in the way on others. But had to have little rant.

love you all
jassy

Hi Jassy,

I'm firmly convinced that Your above Post shows great thought and insight. I concur with all of the above. All of us in Our everyday lives(Home Life) have Spouses, Parents, Siblings and Children that probably get under Our skins. We can't completely remove Ourselves from their presence and so it's much more difficult to avoid rude, sarcastic and stupid remarks made to them, it's almost unavoidable. At the Forum and at other Internet locations, it takes the smallest degree of self control to avoid being rude and offensive. You don't have to be subjected in person to other Forum Members and can easily log out and remove yourself from the irritating situation. Now, I realize that I snapped at Fester the other day and should have just kept silent, I blew it. However, most of the Forum isn't aware of how many other times that I was inclined or might have snapped at another Forum Members rude and ill mannered comments, there were many times over the years, believe me. I'm not referring to the resident Clowns like Musicman and Longhorn either. They have thoroughly defined their Humorous personalities and I have no problem with that. Maybe sometimes people are rude and overly righteous because they feel that they can get away with it here, but in their private life, they would get slammed. I don't know for sure, but it makes you wonder. All I know is that: "If Your Cat goes to the bathroom on the floor, You don't chastise your dog for it." It's called Displaced Anger or Displacement(Taking your anger or frustration out on someone besides the offender). It seems to be common.

It's probably not just a trait in the U.S.A to be rude, ill mannered or sarcastic in a non joking way, but it seems prevalent in this Country, especially among people under 50. I guess that tolerance of people is the key, but it gets old, after awhile, when hearing it.

Thanks Jassy, Samson.

jassy

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 12:22:17 PM »

You know its so strange. As soon as you make a statement about something you do what you think is right. In other words blowing your own trumpet. You tend to fall into a hole straight afterwards ;D
Yes Musicman, I was too quick off the mark and was suffering from a sense of humour deficit. Should have realised right then you were joking.  I did recant earlier but doing so again.

Wow, do we ever stop learning?

jassy

SteveW

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 03:22:38 PM »

Yeah, rude people are so stupid!!  (musicman has angry sneer on face).

I'm still laughing, musicman -- I can just picture a dark room, with only the monitor lighting the face of a crazed, scowling man as he types furiously, muttering away.

Here is a cartoon I posted a few years back...

SteveW
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 23 queries.