bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old news makes Big splash !  (Read 6093 times)

grapehound

Old news makes Big splash !
« on: September 22, 2010, 04:34:02 AM »

Check it out!

Wind could have parted Red Sea for Moses
Tuesday, September 21 05:52 pm

Computer simulations, part of a larger study on how winds affect water, show wind could push water back at a point where a river bent to merge with a coastal lagoon, the team at the National Centre for Atmospheric Research and the University of Colorado at Boulder said.

"The simulations match fairly closely with the account in Exodus," Carl Drews of NCAR, who led the study, said in a statement.

"The parting of the waters can be understood through fluid dynamics. The wind moves the water in a way that's in accordance with physical laws, creating a safe passage with water on two sides and then abruptly allowing the water to rush back in."

Religious texts differ a little in the tale, but all describe Moses leading the Israelites out of Egypt ahead of a pharaoh's armies around 3,000 years ago. The Red Sea parts to let Moses and his followers pass safely, then crashes back onto the pursuers, drowning them.

Drews and colleagues are studying how Pacific Ocean typhoons can drive storm surges and other effects of strong and sustained winds on deep water.

His team pinpointed a possible site south of the Mediterranean Sea for the legendary crossing, and modelled different land formations that could have existed then and perhaps led to the accounts of the sea appearing to part.

The model requires a U-shaped formation of the Nile River and a shallow lagoon along the shoreline. It shows that a wind of 63 miles per hour, blowing steadily for 12 hours, could have pushed back waters 6 feet (2 metres) deep.

"This land bridge is 3-4 km (2 to 2.5 miles) long and 5 km (3 miles) wide, and it remains open for 4 hours," they wrote in the Public Library of Science journal PLoS ONE.

"People have always been fascinated by this Exodus story, wondering if it comes from historical facts," Drews said. "What this study shows is that the description of the waters parting indeed has a basis in physical laws."

Grape

Shawn Fainn

Re: Old news makes Big splash !
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 09:39:29 AM »

Interesting. I love reading about stuff like this.

Have you seen the videos of divers exploring the bottom of the Red Sea? They found chariot wheels, human and horse bones, and various other items as well.

grapehound

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 01:12:20 PM »

Thanx Shawn I'll check it.

Marky Mark

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 01:58:27 PM »

"What this study shows is that the description of the waters parting indeed has a basis in physical laws."

Hello grape.

The sum of the problem with that statement is Spiritual law transcends the physical,making the point moot.Once one comes to an understanding that God can do whatever He wants,in the physical, or the spiritual,tidy little studies seem to lose some of their merit,at least through Spiritual eyes. 8)

Peace...Mark

Shawn Fainn

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 02:19:29 PM »

Part of seeing spiritual is understanding how different things relate to different people at different levels in their maturity. I can see the application of this being useful to those who have an interest in such things, and likewise those that also may be borderline believers.

Gabriel

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 02:39:18 PM »

I love it when science backs up what the scriptures say (it always will though) God used a strong east wind to part that sea.  :) Thanks for posting this grapehound.

God be with you all,

Gabriel

grapehound

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 02:48:18 PM »

Thanks Mark, I totally agree.

The reason I posted it here was to reiterate a similarity to Ray's comments from a Genesis study, when he observed that 'science' was at last 'catching up' with the truth of Scripture.  I was not suggesting for one moment that we had reason to believe because 'science' was 'backing it up'.

"Tidy little studies" ? Give me a break!

But your point is well taken.

Much Luv

Grape

musicman

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 02:51:46 PM »

Be careful.  I have seen some real speculative arguments about where and when this event occured and they often don't line up with hitorical time frames.  First of all, if this were able to happen with God's "natural" laws concerning wind, would it be at a place with enough water to drown hundreds or thousands of soldiers when the water returns?  For six or so feet of water to drown that many people, it'd take more force than would probably be available.  

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 03:39:28 PM »

Hey musicman

You say : For six or so feet of water to drown that many people, it'd take more force than would probably be available.....

No brother :D...not more force than "probably available" :D.... a miracle! :D ;D...that's what it was! :D :)…  {lighthearted banter!}

Grape,

You observe : Ray’s comments from the Genesis study correctly as ~

'science' was at last 'catching up' with the truth of Scripture…..

YES! 8)

Likewise, and as you, we too, do not believe because of Science  and neither should we take Science to be our authority 1Co 2:10  But God hath revealed them unto us by His Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

It is wonderful how Ray expounds that the Psalms describe the knowledge that the universe is expanding….  :)...God   s-t-r-e-t-c--h-e-s   us too! :D :)

Blessings
Arc

musicman

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 03:49:10 PM »

Well, as long as He doesn't stretch my beltline, I'll be OK with Him.

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 04:08:39 PM »

I got a few major things out of Nashville 08.  First, that what we'd call scientific facts ARE truth.  Second, that what most folks think the Bible says isn't what the Bible says at all.  And third, that I'll let the scientists figure out the science.   :D

As Ray said, if something is true then the evidence will grow stronger and stronger that it is true. 

You don't want to know what I really think about the crossing of the Sea and the drowning of Pharoah's armies.   :)
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

grapehound

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 04:28:19 PM »

Thanks Arc and Dave inTenn,and Gabriel

So I don't have to delete this and go find a rope? :P ;D

Bless Y'all

Grape x
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 04:43:27 AM by grapehound »

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 05:12:37 PM »

So I don't have to delete this and go find a rope? :P ;D

Absolutely NOT. :o And you don't have to break bread with us and then go vanishing  :( ??? :'(   :-\ on us  either! :D ;) :) ;D

:-* Blessings brother :)

Oh...Musicman...now I know Who is stretching my waist line!! :D :) ;D

Arc

« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 05:26:46 PM by Arcturus »

cjwood

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 03:30:16 AM »

... "What this study shows is that the description of the waters parting indeed has a basis in physical laws."

Grape

and Who created physical laws????  it is interesting to see man trying his best to explain God and His doings. i kinda see it like God parting our physical sea o' sinfulness with His mighty and divisive breath of Spirit.

thanx for it grape.  8)

claudia
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 23 queries.