bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Just curious as to why Jesus did this..  (Read 11079 times)

santikos

Just curious as to why Jesus did this..
« on: September 22, 2010, 06:22:35 PM »

I was reading when Jesus fed the multitudes this morning and came across the bottom scriptures?

Jhn 6:12   When they were filled, he said unto his disciples, Gather up the fragments that remain, that nothing be lost. 

Jhn 6:13   Therefore they gathered [them] together, and filled twelve baskets with the fragments of the five barley loaves, which remained over and above unto them that had eaten. 

why did he gather the fragments that remained?

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: Just curious as to why Jesus did this..
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 06:25:35 PM »

that nothing be lost.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

santikos

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 06:29:38 PM »

But was it as an example for us not to throw food away?

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 07:28:20 PM »

I don't know how much meaning to invest in it.  I didn't mean to be flip, or create a doctrine...I just found it joyful to see the reason He Himself gave.  I'd never 'seen' that before.

Maybe it was to demonstrate the exceeding over-abounding life He's giving us by His Spirit.  Maybe it was to give to the poor.  Maybe it was to identify with the poor.  After all, most of the world doesn't have excess food to throw away.  In the end, even the Lord's Supper accomplishes nothing in the flesh.  He's talking here, and His words are Spirit and Life.     
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

arion

• Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 11:03:13 PM »

Maybe it was a word picture to show indeed that nothing (nobody) be lost in the end...all are gathered together even the crumbs and fragments.

santikos

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 10:53:04 AM »

thanks for all your inputs. i know it is not a real deep topic but it was one of those things that made me say hmmmm. before i started fellowshipping here i never would have thought anything of it. but since meeting all of you here i now read with a different understanding. so when i read it, i thought of the 12 disciples ruling over the nation gathering all (there were12 extra baskets)so that none be lost. I have not read or listened to all of rays teachings so i am not sure if the 12 ruling diciples are literal or figurtively. it was just food for thought. thanks for your help.

grapehound

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 08:07:23 PM »

Wonderful insight Marky Mark, thank you so much.

Not to labour the point too much but can you give any illumination as to why there were no leftovers of the fishes? They seem very symbolic.

Grape

Patrick

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 08:53:11 PM »

In Marks account, there is fish.
Mark 6:43

grapehound

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 09:05:06 PM »

Thanks Patrick

Grape

hillsbororiver

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 11:34:21 AM »

Beware of the Leaven

I ran across this topic and thought to add some verses...

Matthew 16

5And when his disciples were come to the other side, they had forgotten to take bread.

6Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

7And they reasoned among themselves, saying, It is because we have taken no bread.

8Which when Jesus perceived, he said unto them, O ye of little faith, why reason ye among yourselves, because ye have brought no bread?

9Do ye not yet understand, neither remember the five loaves of the five thousand, and how many baskets ye took up?

10Neither the seven loaves of the four thousand, and how many baskets ye took up?

11How is it that ye do not understand that I spake it not to you concerning bread, that ye should beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees?

12Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

Mark 8

14Now the disciples had forgotten to take bread, neither had they in the ship with them more than one loaf.

15And he charged them, saying, Take heed, beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, and of the leaven of Herod.

16And they reasoned among themselves, saying, It is because we have no bread.

17And when Jesus knew it, he saith unto them, Why reason ye, because ye have no bread? perceive ye not yet, neither understand? have ye your heart yet hardened?

18Having eyes, see ye not? and having ears, hear ye not? and do ye not remember?

19When I brake the five loaves among five thousand, how many baskets full of fragments took ye up? They say unto him, Twelve.

20And when the seven among four thousand, how many baskets full of fragments took ye up? And they said, Seven.

21And he said unto them, How is it that ye do not understand?

Last but not least;

Luke 12

1In the mean time, when there were gathered together an innumerable multitude of people, insomuch that they trode one upon another, he began to say unto his disciples first of all, Beware ye of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy.

Peace,

Joe

hillsbororiver

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 05:48:28 PM »

thanks for all your inputs. i know it is not a real deep topic but it was one of those things that made me say hmmmm. before i started fellowshipping here i never would have thought anything of it. but since meeting all of you here i now read with a different understanding. so when i read it, i thought of the 12 disciples ruling over the nation gathering all (there were12 extra baskets)so that none be lost. I have not read or listened to all of rays teachings so i am not sure if the 12 ruling diciples are literal or figurtively. it was just food for thought. thanks for your help.

Hi santikos,

Actually this is a very deep subject (as is all scripture) that could be discussed at length and potentially mine much gold... I was glad to have come across this topic.

The last verse I quoted was Luke 12:1 which reads;

Luk 12:1  In the mean time, when there were gathered together an innumerable multitude of people, insomuch that they trode one upon another, he began to say unto his disciples first of all, Beware ye of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy.G5272

G5272
ὑπόκρισις
hupokrisis
hoop-ok'-ree-sis
From G5271; acting under a feigned part; that is, (figuratively) deceit (“hypocrisy”): - condemnation, dissimulation, hypocrisy.

This leaven of the Pharisees could very well be translated as "deceit" ... with a little condemnation and feigned piousness thrown in for good measure.

Can anyone think of an institution or multiple institutions in which they peddle deceit (etc.) under the banner of Christ and His Kingdom?

If there is any interest we could explore this further, if not, I guess we won't!  ;D

Peace,

Joe

hillsbororiver

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 07:20:43 PM »

Hi Everyone,

It appears when Jesus spoke of "the leaven of the Pharisees it was a parable/prophecy that actually applied more to future generations than it did to the apostles themselves although this corruption began in their lifetimes...

Ray wrote a beautiful piece in regard to this subject.

From LOF Part 8;

PAUL SAW THE HANDWRITING ON THE WALL

Only a few years into Paul’s ministry, he told the Corinthian Congregation of the corruption already in the Church:

"For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ" (II Cor. 2:17).

Now I hope you all know that I love the King James, and it is true as stated in this verse that they "corrupted" the word of God, but this verse tells us much more than the King James translators present in this verse. Let’s read a few other translations of this same verse:

"For we are not, as THE MANY, driving a PETTY TRADE with the word of God…" (A New Translation, By J. B. Rotherham).

"For we are not as the MAJORITY, who are PEDDLING the word of God…" (Concordant Literal New Testament).

"For I seek not PROFIT [LIKE MOST] by setting the word of God TO SALE…" (The Epistles of Paul, By Conybeare).

"Unlike MANY PEOPLE, we are not in the habit of MAKING PROFIT out of God’s Message" (The Twentieth Century New Testament).

"For I am no PEDDLER of God’s message LIKE MOST MEN" (An American Translation, By Goodspeed).

"For I am not like MOST, TRAFFICKING in the word of God" ( The New Testament in Modern English, By Montgomery).

"For we are not like THE GREAT NUMBER who make use of the Word of God for PROFIT" (The New Testament in Basic English).

"For we do not, like SO MANY, PEDDLE [for profit] an adulterated message of God" (The Berkeley Version of the New Testament, By Gerrit Verkuyl).

ADULTERATING HUCKSTERS OF GOD’S WORD

Does anyone have any doubts now, as to what this verse is saying? I hope not. But there is still more in this verse that does not meet the eye of understanding unless we check the Greek. The word from which "corrupt," "profit," "peddling," and "trafficking" was taken, is the Greek word kapeleou, and it means much more than simply selling for a profit: Strong’s Greek Dictionary of The New Testament: #2585. kpeleuo (a huckster); to retail, i.e. (by impl.) to adulterate. This word means to be a retailer, to peddle, to hucksterize; hence, intentionally to get base gain by dealing in anything, to do anything for sordid personal advantage." (P. 128). WOW! But wait … here’s one more definition:

From Greek-English Keyword Concordance, "peddle [kapeleu’o], sell at retail, with the insinuation of improper profit, either by overcharging or adulterating"(P. 220).

Can you even begin to understand and believe what you are reading? Paul said that it was the MAJORITY that were retailing, selling, peddling, huckstering, an adulterated version of God’s word by overcharging improper profits far beyond rational living expenses for their own base gain and sordid personal advantage! Not only was this practice CORRUPT, but, it was being done by "THE MANY," "THE MAJORITY!" Tell me that you can’t see this being done in the church today?

THE CHURCH AFTER PAUL’S DEPARTURE

While in Miletus, before going to Caesarea and then up to Jerusalem, Paul gave us a profound prophetic statement regarding the direction the church would take immediately after his departure:

"For I have not shunned to declare unto you ALL THE COUNSEL OF GOD. Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to ALL THE FLOCK [the entire Church of God, and remember that ALL of Paul’s epistles were read and distributed by Peter as well to the Jewish saints, II Pet. 3:16-17], over the which the Holy Ghost has made you overseers, to feed THE CHURCH OF GOD, which He has purchased with His own blood. FOR I KNOW THIS, that after my departing shall GRIEVOUS WOLVES enter in among you, NOT SPARING THE FLOCK. Also of your OWN SELVES shall men arise, speaking PERVERSE THINGS, to DRAW AWAY DISCIPLES AFTER THEM. Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day WITH TEARS [Paul knew and could see how horribly deceived the Church of God was to become]. And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of His grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified" (Acts 20:27-32).

WOW … Not a pretty picture, is it? It gets worse.

Paul knew that just as he had to come out of religious Babylon, those under his evangelism would also have to one day come out of the New Testament Church of God’s Babylonian practices. In our next installment we will see just what these practices and doctrines of the Seven Churches are, that we must "Come out of…"

Peter witnessed and prophesied of the same conditions in the Church. Listen to Peter’s powerful words of admonition in his last epistle for us:

"But there were false prophets [teachers] also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers AMONG YOU, who privately shall bring in DAMNABLE HERESIES, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. And MANY shall follow their pernicious [lascivious, licentious, wanton] ways; by reason of whom the way of the truth shall be EVIL spoken of. And through covetousness shall they with feigned words MAKE MERCHANDISE OF YOU…" (II Pet. 2:1-3).

Paul again parrots Peter’s warning in his last words to Timothy in the very last epistle he wrote for us:

"But evil men and seducers [in the church] shall wax WORSE AND WORSE, DECEIVING, AND BEING DECEIVED" (II Tim. 3:13).

So Paul didn’t say that the horrible things already in the Church would get better and better, did he? No, he said they would get "worse AND WORSE!" Corrupt spiritual leaders produce even MORE corrupt leaders as well as followers. Didn’t our Lord Prophecy of this very thing:

"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte [convert], and when he is made, ye make him twofold MORE the child of hell [Gk: ‘Geenna’ the realm of the ‘dead,’ which Jesus here uses to represent the ‘spiritually dead’] than yourselves" (Matt. 23:15).

We shall now see that Jesus, Peter, and Paul certainly did tell the truth that things in the church would get WORSE AND MORE WORSE, or as some translations have it, "from bad to worse." Peter says there would be false teachers that would bring in DAMNABLE HERESIES. ARE THERE DAMNABLE HERESIES IN THE CHURCH OF GOD? Or did Peter LIE? Paul tells us that evil men and seducers (Gk: wicked men and swindlers) would go from BAD TO WORSE! Did Paul LIE? Notice how bad Jesus Christ said things would become:

"For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, [a prophet is also a teacher and prophesying is teaching], and shall show great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive THE VERY ELECT" (Matt. 24:24).

Read it all here;

http://bible-truths.com/lake8.html

His Peace and Wisdom to you,

Joe

cjwood

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 01:33:34 AM »

i will say it again, "good to have you back among us joe!"

thank you for this very important message you have presented. 

claudia

myms

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 08:53:54 AM »

So Jesus was reminding His disciples to take their eyes off their physical needs - He had just shown how He could meet those needs (abundantly, over and above, with supplies left over); but rather to be much more concerned with the hypocrisy and invisible, pervasive doctrines of the Pharisees. I need to be reminded of this so often, I so quickly become concerned about my physical needs (or wants) and lose sight of the daily reality of the spiritual battle I'm in. Thanks all.

hillsbororiver

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 08:56:55 AM »

Hi Claudia,

You are very kind Sister, thank you.

I was trying to bring to light that often (if not always) the parables Jesus spoke (and His miracles can be "parables" as well) did not actually mean what we might interpret them to mean in and of our own understanding. Ray advises us to match scripture with scripture, spiritual with spiritual and seek multiple (scriptural) witnesses. He eloquently writes about this in the "12 Truths" paper;

Here is a portion of that paper;

TRUTH NUMBER 9

[A] "Knowing this first, that no prophecy [inspired writing or speaking] of the Scripture is of any private [Gk: ‘its OWN’] interpretation" (II Pet. 1:20).

"To understand a proverb, AND THE INTERPRETATION [or ‘puzzle’—the proverb itself is not also the interpretation]…" (Prov. 1:6).

[C] "Are you able to make known unto me THE DREAM which I have seen, AND THE INTERPRETATION thereof [the dream does not interpret itself]?" (Dan. 2:26).

"Own" is a little closer to the Greek in this verse than is the word "private." A few examples of how the Greek word, idios, is used in other Scriptures will show this more clearly. In a few cases it should be translated "private," as in, "…the disciples came unto Him privately" (Matt. 24:3). But more than 70 times it is translated "own" as in:

Matt. 9:1 "…and came into his own city [Gk: idios—not ‘private’ city]."

John 4:44 "…has honor in his own country [Gk: idios—not "private’ country]."

I Pet. 3:5 "…unto their own husbands [Gk: idios—not their ‘private’ husbands]."

Why is no Scripture its OWN interpretation, we might ask? To protect the integrity of the Scriptures, for one thing. ALL twelve of these spiritual principles are to be used together in explaining the Scriptures. If every Scripture or even any Scripture can be its "own interpretation," then we wouldn’t need the other eleven principles. How can a Scripture be its own interpretation when we are told to "compare or MATCH spiritual with spiritual?" One standing alone cannot at the same time be a match to something else. Why then the need for "TWO witnesses" if each Scripture fully interprets itself? No, every one of the principles that I am presenting is of paramount importance.

In our last example on the judgments by fire (I Cor. 3 and Rev. 20), it was absolutely necessary to have not only two witnesses, but to match one spiritual teaching with another spiritual teaching in order to arrive at the truth.

http://bible-truths.com/twelve.htm

Peace,

Joe

grapehound

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 09:21:20 AM »

Superb rendition, Joe.

Grateful thanks.

Grape

hillsbororiver

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 07:43:56 PM »

Hi Grapehound,

Exceptionally interesting screen name by the way...

Thank you and you are welcome!

Peace,

Joe

mrl1970

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2011, 03:18:34 AM »

Here are some more scriptures to add to the discussion

Matthew 15  
22 And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil.

23 But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us.

24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

25 Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me.

26 But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread,  and to cast it to dogs.  

27And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table.

28Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour.

Mark 7

25 For a certain woman, whose young daughter had an unclean spirit, heard of him, and came and fell at his feet:

26 The woman was a Greek, a Syrophenician by nation; and she besought him that he would cast forth the devil out of her daughter.

27 But Jesus said unto her, Let the children first be filled: for it is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it unto the dogs.  

28 And she answered and said unto him, Yes, Lord: yet the dogs under the table eat of the children's crumbs.

29 And he said unto her, For this saying go thy way; the devil is gone out of thy daughter.

30 And when she was come to her house, she found the devil gone out, and her daughter laid upon the bed.

Lazarus and the Rich man

Luke 16
19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:

20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,

21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.   22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.

26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:

28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.

29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.

30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.

31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

santikos

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 01:46:02 PM »

thanks for the insight, i knew it was deeper that what i read. i just did not have the proper tools to dig. thanks alot.

grapehound

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 07:48:16 PM »

Thanks for the thread Santi.
You kicked over a jar of honey there!
I'm still dipping my bread in!

Grateful love.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 22 queries.