bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: So what's God been up to in your life lately?  (Read 13741 times)

Dawidos

Re: So what's God been up to in your life lately?
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2010, 06:28:45 AM »

I could be wrong about her, but can anyone show me in the scriptures where it says she was a prostitute?

If I remember correctly it's one of the biggest "mistake" in the history of Church. There is talking about casting demons out of her by Christ, but nothing about prostitution.

According to Wikipedia:
Few characters in the New Testament have been so sorely miscast as Mary Magdalene, whose reputation as a fallen woman originated not in the Bible but in a sixth-century sermon by Pope Gregory the Great. Not only is she misidentified as the repentant fallen prostitute of legend, meditating and levitating in a cave, but she was not necessarily even a notable sinner: Being possessed by "seven demons" that were exorcised by Jesus, she was arguably more victim than sinner. And the idea, popularized by The Da Vinci Code, that Mary was Jesus' wife and bore his child, while not totally disprovable, is the longest of long shots.

grapehound

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2010, 07:35:12 AM »

Hi Dawidos!
It's great to hear from you bro, I've missed you.
Glad to see you online again.  :)

Thanks for that important post about Mary Magdalene. That makes such a difference to history and the ripple effect on popular culture.
I've often wondered about that, so thanks for the excerpt from Wiki.  8)

Do you identify with a particular character from scripture?
I'd be keen to know !

Thanks again Brother

Every Blessing

Grape

Dawidos

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2010, 10:01:56 AM »

Grapehound, God bless you for your warm welcome :). I had problems with my password but masterful Craig has fixed everything, and now I can be online again :). Anyway, thank you for your kind words.

Back to Mary Magdalene, I think the Roman Catholic Church is the only big christian denonimation who holds still its conviction that Mary Magdalene was a prostitute. She is often misidentified with the woman who washed Jesus's feet.

Scripture:

Luk 7:37 And, behold, a woman in the city, which was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at meat in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster box of ointment,
Luk 7:38 And stood at his feet behind him weeping, and began to wash his feet with tears, and did wipe them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment.
Luk 7:39 Now when the Pharisee which had bidden him saw it, he spake within himself, saying, This man, if he were a prophet, would have known who and what manner of woman this is that toucheth him: for she is a sinner.
Luk 7:40 And Jesus answering said unto him, Simon, I have somewhat to say unto thee. And he saith, Master, say on.
Luk 7:41 There was a certain creditor which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty.
Luk 7:42 And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, which of them will love him most?
Luk 7:43 Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged.
Luk 7:44 And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head.
Luk 7:45 Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet.
Luk 7:46 My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment.
Luk 7:47 Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little.
Luk 7:48 And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven.
Luk 7:49 And they that sat at meat with him began to say within themselves, Who is this that forgiveth sins also?
Luk 7:50 And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.

Comment (not mine, some kind of expert)

It is not Mary (the sister of Martha and Lazarus) because although it is similar to the events in Matthew 26:6-13 where Mary (the sister of Martha and Lazarus) annointed Jesus, that was in Bethany and the " woman... who was a sinner" in Luke 7 was in Galilee. It is very unlikely that it was Mary Magdalene either because she was mentioned by name only three verses later in Luke 8:3 and Luke, the careful historian, doesn't add anything to identify or explain her such as "Mary Magdalene, who washed Jesus feet in Simon's house"; also, although she had demons cast out of her there is no evidence Mary Magdalene was a prostitute.

By the way, casting demons may be taken literally, but it may be a metaphor as well -  meaning "healing from illness". For me illness is like a demon :D :D Believe me, when I was ill, I often asked God to cast this demon out of me :D  

Do I identify with any character from the Bible? Hmm, difficult question. My name is David, so I'm close to King David rather not by my ruling abilities but sinful nature. I don't know if there is any ex-atheist in the Bible, but taking into consideration my faith struggle maybe I'm linked in some way to Thomas the Apostle, also called Doubting Thomas. I don't know. What do you think?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 10:33:00 AM by Dawidos »

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2010, 10:28:47 AM »

Excellent research Dawidos! ….and what a s-w-e-e-t  little puppy of Janine's….welcome back brother! :)

Arc

Dawidos

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2010, 10:37:27 AM »

Thank you Arc for your opinion - I've just found some good sources and combined them into one "research post". Yes, it's Janine's dog. Very sweet, isn't he/she?

Shawn Fainn

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2010, 11:16:30 AM »

Luk 7:45 "Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet."

Interesting to note on the above Scripture.. Was she literally kissing His feet from the moment He came in the room?

Notice what it says..

Luk 7:37-38 "And, behold, a woman in the city, which was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at meat ... began to wash his feet with tears, and did wipe them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet..."

She was kissing His feet spiritually the whole time since he had entered the room.

Pretty awesome, huh? :)

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 11:20:35 AM by Hudson »

grapehound

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2010, 12:09:22 PM »

Dawidos, thank you so much bro', for that timely reminder to me. Luke 7 always makes me weep. It shows me so many things about the love of Our Saviour.

Amen Arc, this is a great contribution to this thread. You really started something here!

Hudson, I love that insight and I agree it's pretty awesome!

Dawidos, you know I've got a soft spot for puppies! That lil' guy of Janine's is so cute.
As to a Biblical character? Wow, there's so many. I'll have to put my 'Longhorn' hat on for that one! But seriously, it's good to have you back among us.

Every blessing guys

Grape

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2010, 12:14:05 PM »

Hudson

Spiritual eyes see the Spiritual beauty of our Lord and how He sees. I appreciate you sharing the discernment of the Word of our God to your heart and understanding.

Grape, your cup overflows brother. I was thinking how this Thread has been woven not by my plan or design. You know Who the Author is! I can quote you again !  :D :) in another Thread where your own insight so identified the Author and Finisher of our Faith.... 8) :)

Ours is the blessing to walk in the works He has prepared in advance for us to be blessed and lifted up to His Love and His Presence.

Blessings
Arc

Dawidos

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2010, 02:02:22 PM »

Dawidos, thank you so much bro', for that timely reminder to me. Luke 7 always makes me weep. It shows me so many things about the love of Our Saviour.
You are welcome. Yes, it shows so many things - love never fails, love always triumphs, love covers the worst sins.

1 Corinthians 13:1-13 written by Paul of Tarsus is definitely my favourite Scripture in the whole Bible. For me it is the essence of everything: God's love, Christ's teachings etc.

If I speak in the tongues of men and angels,
but have not love,
I have become sounding brass or a tinkling symbol.  

And if I have prophecy and know all mysteries and all knowledge,
and if I have all faith so as to remove mountains,
but have not love, I am nothing.  

And if I dole out all my goods, and
if I deliver my body that I may boast
but have not love, nothing I am profited.

Love is long suffering,
love is kind,
it is not jealous,
love does not boast,
it is not inflated.

It is not discourteous,
it is not selfish,
it is not irritable,
it does not enumerate the evil.
It does not rejoice over the wrong, but rejoices in the truth  

It covers all things,
it has faith for all things,
it hopes in all things,
it endures in all things.

Love never falls in ruins;
but whether prophecies, they will be abolished; or
tongues, they will cease; or
knowledge, it will be superseded.

For we know in part and we prophecy in part.

But when the perfect comes, the imperfect will be superseded.  

When I was an infant,
I spoke as an infant,
I reckoned as an infant;

when I became [an adult],
I abolished the things of the infant.  

For now we see through a mirror in an enigma, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know as also I was fully known.  

But now remains
 faith, hope, love,

these three;

but the greatest of these is love.

Dawidos, you know I've got a soft spot for puppies! That lil' guy of Janine's is so cute.
As to a Biblical character? Wow, there's so many. I'll have to put my 'Longhorn' hat on for that one! But seriously, it's good to have you back among us.

Tell that personally to Janine. You will make her a great pleasure. Blessings to you dear brother. The dog in your avatar is also cute.

grapehound

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2010, 02:49:57 PM »

Dawidos, it's remarkable that this chapter of Corinthians is also my favourite scripture!
I'm currently putting a post together and 1Corinthians 13 is the basis of it!
How extraordinary!

You're very thoughtful about sharing my thoughts with Janine about her puppy, but she already knows! It was very kind of you to suggest it.

Every blessing

tamaralv

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2010, 10:33:03 PM »

I may have missed it, but has anyone else ever felt a little like Noah? No one believed him either!   :(

Tammy

judith collier

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2010, 02:27:15 AM »

Arc, I have been acting a bit like Jonah lately, fussing and carrying on because i don't want to do what i know to do. And then the plant grew up over Jonah and Jonah was grateful but then the darn worm came along as did the east wind and sun and Jonah wanted to die. And boy could Jonah get upset!
Up and down, back and forth and poor Jonah was a mess.
Yes, Jonah!
judy

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2010, 04:42:07 AM »

Hey Judy...a happy good morning to you too! :D :) SA Time!

Whether Job or whether Jonah,

Ecc 9:2  All things come alike to ALL: there is ONE event to the righteous, and to the wicked; to the good and to the clean, and to the unclean; to him that sacrificeth, and to him that sacrificeth not: as is the good, so is the sinner; and he that sweareth, as he that feareth an oath.
...am glad you caught this one in that other thread Grape! :)

There is ONE God. 8)

Judy, you could put Jonah together with Martha I believe....and Jesus said some WONDERFUL THINGS TO MARTHA!! 8) :) Go check it out! :) 8)

Psa 119:160  The SUM of Thy Word is Truth; And every one of Thy Righteous ordinances endureth for ever. (ASV)

We have to go through it all. God leaves nothing and no one to chance!

Who do you enjoy the most right now? For me, I so enjoy Habukkuk! ;D 8) :) He's a real sweet heart for me.

Who do you want to be around? I just want to laugh and leap and fellowship with the joy Hab K expresses....I just love him to bits! :D :)

........who wants to get together with Lazarus?....CAN anyone get together with Lazarus of the parable?...or just the Lazarus to whom Jesus commanded COME FORTH LAZARUS!!!....I'm staying put with Habukkuk! Who have you got to love and want to be with....? Oh there are others, but just right now, in this moment...Habukkuk is prominent for me... 8) :)...now who would fit with Habukkuk do you think....anyone?  Who fits with him in the NT????....of to get buried...I don't know...in the dark....

Blessings
Arc
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 05:12:59 AM by Arcturus »

tamaralv

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2010, 05:06:30 AM »

@GodIsGracious Absolutely we can share Noah!

Can anyone tell me who the prophet referred to as the 'weeping prophet" is? Was it Jeremiah? I want to look into him further, but I can't remember who it was.

Tammy

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2010, 05:33:34 AM »

I'm not sure Tammy. I think it is Jeremiah. I went to look him up just now and found out that Jeremiah knew what Habakkuk knew but Jeremiah was not so happy about it. :o :(

Jeremiah and Naomi might make good company?....

I think Paul got the balance when he said he knew

Php 4:12  I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.

These thoughts are for my edification made visible….

Blessings
Arc

grapehound

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2010, 06:24:44 AM »

Don't laugh!
I remembered that Jeremiah is the 'weeping prophet' because I once grew a Weeping Fig and we called it 'Jerry'!    ::);D

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2010, 07:21:58 AM »

What a happy answer Grape! Would that we could all have the joy of finding the answers to our questions on a wave of joy and laughter!!!

You know I offered that I didn’t want to be like that chap who the last thing he saw before his eyes were gorged out, was his sons being murdered and then he went to jail where he died. Well I was at that time, seeing this LITERALY. Ohhhh the PAIN…BUT that story is not LITERAL for US because death is followed by Judgment and Judgment is our salvation from blindness, sorrow and death!! 8) ;D

....that fig tree is getting in the way....b..bb bhaha ha. ;D :) 8)..I also knew a fig tree Grape :D ;D....my story is not so funny...scary maybe, but not funny :D :)...so I'll keep it.... :D :)

Our Lord blesses to us all things for our admonition…and JOY... 8) :)

8) :) ;D…no death or destruction is permanent! 8) Real it is yes... :o :'(...but not permanent!! 8) ;D 8)

I feel like a kid being bounced on the knee of my Father!  Giggle... giggle... :D ;D :) 8)
Blessings
Arc
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 07:31:00 AM by Arcturus »

Phil3:10

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2010, 04:39:35 PM »

Arcturus,
Your theological expertise continues to amaze me and this thread is indeed my blessing for today. I do so very often feel the way you felt about the cop in your opening post. There are  so many people in my life who cause me direct pain and with whom I have little patience.  However, now I will begin praying more for them and trying to be more loving and kind. I do pray that GOD will open my spiritual eyes and that I can become more like HIM every day.
Thank you GOD for this forum and for all who contribute so very much. Why would I ever need a church with the love and truth spoken here?
Phil3:10

grapehound

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2010, 05:52:22 PM »

Hey Arc,
Y'know the real funny thing about that fig? The joy everyone got from him!
Everyone that came through the patio and into the back lounge used to say to him,
"Cheer up Jerry!". I mean everyone!
He had a dirt sticker with his name on it!
When there was a barbecue, folks going in and out would say,
" Ahh! Cheer up Jerry!"

Sadly, Jerry came to a sticky end.

My Mom in Law popped him out in the potting shed one night, during Christmas vacation. She thoughtfully cleaned up the place, for our return. 

New Year's Eve, I noticed he'd gone.

We rang Mom to ask where he was.
"Oh, sorry, I popped him in the shed." she said. 
"In the #@*#%#!! shed? !!", I gasped, "He's sub-tropical!"

It was the coldest English December for 25 years.

The deceased Jerry sat, black and limp in the corner of the frosted shed.
We even buried him!

My neighbour was a gas. He was an older man with a very dry sense of humour.

"Serves him right for being so bloody miserable." !!

Poor Jeremiah. A fig above figs. Sadly missed.   :'(

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2010, 07:13:31 PM »

MOTHER IN LAWS :o :o.....OHHHHH okay ;D...re-direct!! :)

I had two chances. :D The first one I really blew it!  >:( :) She...my mother-in-law, was Italian and after three years in Rome AFTER I learned the language then the wheels came off. :o You see...if only I could learn to shut up!!... ;D :) Well, my mother-in-law told me that any child of her son's was FIRST HER'S and only THEN mine!!!....I never saw her again after that statement! My husband was shot....not by me...but shot in a most tragic incident....we did not have any children together.

My present mother-in-law....why oh why do they call then IN-Laws ;D :)....it should be OUT-LAW :D....no seriously 8)....how I anguished spiritually over the fact that I could not change what God has written! I TRIED. Oh how I TRIED.... :)...I had to repent...and I am so grateful that God explained a few things about mothers and daughters. Now Kat, this is not for your eyes dear sister...you have an exquisite relationship with your daughter as I believe I had to and with my mother...but...when things get beyond our better desires for harmony...then I turned to the Scriptures as caused by God to turn me to seek His Council over the difficulties I have experienced.

AFTER I was blessed to give up and accept the challenges regarding instant family by marriage :o :D...like instant salvation by a ten second sinners prayer :o ;D :D......THEN I saw the light and peace followed. :) 8)

Now I am educating my son that no matter who he brings home to marry........HE'S got to love her!....Oh...and I will not be open to him bringing anything of the sort of complaint or murmering or bad news about her as this is not okay....God says LOVE your Wife...Honour her...meaning for me...don't talk bad about her to anyone!.... ;D

1Pe 3:7  Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.

Regarding that dear sweet Jerry fig tree :'( :'(....well...perhaps I'll exchange notes with you regarding what happened to the fig tree in my life. :) Suffice to say...it was struck by lightening.... :o ;D :) split right down the middle....it wasn't our fig tree either....It was in the neighbors yard.... My mother-in-law knew what I'd said to the fig tree... :o :o....she was with me as we went for a walk and I explained to her a few things at that time...She scoffed my story about how Jesus cursed the fig tree......God works in mysterious ways! :o ;D :)......Well...that's  the effect mother-in-laws have on fig trees when they go for a walk with the daugher in-law... :) :D :)

Blessings
Arc
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 05:25:08 AM by Arcturus »
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.