bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prayer for My Friend  (Read 5996 times)

daywalker

Prayer for My Friend
« on: November 17, 2010, 01:59:24 PM »

I just received a phone call this morning from a long-time good friend of mine (he was one of my groom's men) saying he was really depressed and struggling. He admitted he's been drinking more than he should and knows he needs to slow down, but he feels like he's lacking self-control. He is afraid right now because he has that "who cares" mentality and even though he doesn't want to feel like that he's having a hard time fighting it. To save space, I won't go into details about what has been going on in his life recently; all I am asking for is prayer. I am going to visit him this weekend, and I want God to use me to help him. He isn't a believer, though he isn't anti-God either. During my church-going days, he came several times to church with me, and enjoyed the teachings but never would convert to Christianity mainly because he didn't agree with the "Hell" doctrine (it appears he was already a step ahead of me.. LOL).

Anyway, he has a wife and daughter that he loves very much and he knows he needs to better himself for them, but he's losing self-control, and he doesn't believe that he is strong enough to overcome it (all his words). I personally know all too well what it's like to lack self-control (though my particular vice is in the "anger" department). I just would like prayers that God will guide me and give me the words to speak to him. I hope to share with him the REAL Gospel this weekend. I've had a few talks with him in the past since I "came out of Babylon" and he liked what I had to say.

He's a great guy with a great heart--he just needs some God in his life. :)
I know he prays because he's told me before, but I think this may be a great time for him to learn a little more about what He is all about. 

Christopher  8)

jingle52

Re: Prayer for My Friend
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 02:47:38 PM »

Christopher, you're a great friend indeed! With your help and with God's mercy, your friend may have a receptive frame of mind this weekend, hope all goes well!

God's Blessings

lostANDfound

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 10:27:15 AM »

how exciting to see God moving so clearly.  prayers for Gods wisdom, patience, love as you talk to your friend.

arion

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 11:59:23 AM »

Prayers for your friend and as you open your mouth may the Holy Spirit give you the words to say that will pierce him to the depth of his being.

daywalker

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 01:25:11 PM »

Thanks everyone for your prayers and encouragement. I didn't get to say all I had intended to say, but overall it was a great trip and we had a great talk. I am feeling much better concerning his well being, he is aware of his mistakes, and what he needs to do to moving forward. I just pray that God keeps him on the right track for his sake, and for his family's sake.

Christopher

lauriellen

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 12:53:44 PM »

prayers for you & your friend. =)

lilitalienboi16

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 05:25:46 PM »

prayers indeed! Btw i got a good laugh at the "it seems he was already a step ahead of me" part. Isn't God hilarious? I love the way He works! ;)
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

daywalker

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 07:38:40 PM »

prayers indeed! Btw i got a good laugh at the "it seems he was already a step ahead of me" part. Isn't God hilarious? I love the way He works! ;)

Haha, no doubt. It seems many people were ahead of me for a while. I remember right after reading Ray's study on Creation and Noah's Flood, I showed my wife and told her that Ray proved that the Flood was local, not worldwide, and her response was, "Yea, I never believed it was worldwide either. It just didn't make sense." I was shocked... LOL

judith collier

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 05:03:36 AM »

Daywalker. if ever your friend needs more help A.A. states that if the DESIRE to quit drinking is there that is sufficient for attending meetings. Their higher power theory is not all bad because most of the people are going to believe what they want their higher power to be anyway. Later many of them study religious matter. They just need a boost in believing again.
judy

daywalker

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 06:10:27 PM »

Daywalker. if ever your friend needs more help A.A. states that if the DESIRE to quit drinking is there that is sufficient for attending meetings. Their higher power theory is not all bad because most of the people are going to believe what they want their higher power to be anyway. Later many of them study religious matter. They just need a boost in believing again.
judy

Yea, he went to one last week but he didn't like it. Mainly, he said that he felt he didn't really relate; most of the guys there were long time drinkers who were way past the level he was, as far as their lives were messed up, no families, bad heath, etc. He said though it was good for him to see that that's not where he wants to be in 5.. 10... years, he didn't feel comfortable being there. He also said that he felt like he was in a church group LOL.

...Personally, I don't blame him. A few years back I attended several meetings with another friend who was having similar troubles, but with drugs (speed, cocaine). I didn't like the feeling I got there either. They just seemed too fake to me.  (way too "huggie huggie kissie kissie" as Ray would say... yet with no genuine emotion... at least that's how it came off to me) Actually, I kinda felt like I was surrounded by hippies! (it turns out, I was...  :o) But seriously, just the way they talked and all that, it was like a weird cult and it actually made me want to get drunk!

Anyway, he's definitely on the right track. And I'm keeping close contacts with him as well so I'm confident he is already turning the ship around.  :D But it's in God's hands so only time will tell.

thanks.

judith collier

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 05:41:47 AM »

Daywalker. that was funny. If the leader sucks the meetings can go to hell really fast. But one of my most glorious happenings was on my second step. "God can restore me to sanity"
My mind stopped racing, there was an unbelievable peace and and then it took years to really figure out the third step, what was God's will. They do a great job of making you realize you are not in control, anyway here at least there are some good meetings. But, like I said, some suck!
Judy

daywalker

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 01:45:13 PM »

Daywalker. that was funny. If the leader sucks the meetings can go to hell really fast. But one of my most glorious happenings was on my second step. "God can restore me to sanity"
My mind stopped racing, there was an unbelievable peace and and then it took years to really figure out the third step, what was God's will. They do a great job of making you realize you are not in control, anyway here at least there are some good meetings. But, like I said, some suck!
Judy

Lol, yea I'm sure there are some very good groups out there (i.e. not crazy  :D ), and I know their goal is right. I guess each individual has to find the best one for them... Good news is I spoke with him over the weekend and he is in high spirits (non-alcoholic of course  ;) ). Hopefully, he will continue moving forward.

Christopher

Ninny

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 03:16:06 PM »

Christopher....
With a friend like you on his side, your friend will surely be ok!! Sometimes when the only thing we can do for someone is pray...that's exactly what we're supposed to do!! You're a good friend!
Kathy ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.