bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: flood 40 day clarification  (Read 5044 times)

HoneyLamb56

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
flood 40 day clarification
« on: December 09, 2010, 10:25:50 AM »

I have been perusing material on the flood and I think my light has finally turned on;  did the 40 day period begin after the rains stopped? I'm reading in Genesis (7:17) that the flood was ON  the earth 40 days but in 7:24 the waters prevailed 150 days; Genesis 8:3 the waters receded continually from the earth ..... then in V. 6 "it came to pass, at the end of forty days, that Noah opened the window....so the raven would come and go for say a couple months then the dove etc.

It is my recollection that I was taught by the church that it rained forty days and forty nights ...(Genesis 7:12 and the rain was on the earth 40 days and forty nights); I can see now how I've been blinded as I've read Genesis more than once and always missed the 150 day thing until now.   Obviously, I was only doing a cursory read and not paying attention. 

Sorry, this isn't really a new topic discussion; guess it should have gone under another heading.

judith collier

Re: flood 40 day clarification
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 04:38:38 AM »

Honeylamb, don't feel dumb. I never even heard of the 150 days either. Of course i didn't get into the flood topic that much. I'm supposing the water hung around that long, huh??
judy

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 05:12:47 AM »

Excellent discernment HoneyLamb56! 8)

Blessings sisters
Deb

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 06:38:09 AM »

Genesis 7
 1 The LORD then said to Noah, “Go into the ark, you and your whole family, because I have found you righteous in this generation.
 17 For forty days the flood kept coming on the earth, and as the waters increased they lifted the ark high above the earth.
 24 The waters flooded the earth for a hundred and fifty days.

Genesis 8
 1 But God remembered Noah and all the wild animals and the livestock that were with him in the ark, and he sent a wind over the earth, and the waters receded. 2 Now the springs of the deep and the floodgates of the heavens had been closed, and the rain had stopped falling from the sky. 3 The water receded steadily from the earth. At the end of the hundred and fifty days the water had gone down, 4 and on the seventeenth day of the seventh month the ark came to rest on the mountains of Ararat. 5 The waters continued to recede until the tenth month, and on the first day of the tenth month the tops of the mountains became visible.
 6 After forty days Noah opened a window he had made in the ark 7 and sent out a raven, and it kept flying back and forth until the water had dried up from the earth. 8 Then he sent out a dove to see if the water had receded from the surface of the ground. 9 But the dove could find nowhere to perch because there was water over all the surface of the earth; so it returned to Noah in the ark. He reached out his hand and took the dove and brought it back to himself in the ark. 10 He waited seven more days and again sent out the dove from the ark. 11 When the dove returned to him in the evening, there in its beak was a freshly plucked olive leaf! Then Noah knew that the water had receded from the earth. 12 He waited seven more days and sent the dove out again, but this time it did not return to him.
 13 By the first day of the first month of Noah’s six hundred and first year, the water had dried up from the earth. Noah then removed the covering from the ark and saw that the surface of the ground was dry. 14 By the twenty-seventh day of the second month the earth was completely dry.
 15 Then God said to Noah, 16 “Come out............... :)

(New International Version, ©2010)

Ricky

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 10:46:18 AM »

Hi, I see an old post here, Jesus said NO ONE is good, God says, Noah was rightous. ? Is there a difference between good and rightous. If He says No One, this should mean in all generations, but I guess it probaly does not.     Ricky
Your heart is God`s gift to you, what you make of it, shall be your gift to Him.

mharrell08

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 11:27:06 AM »

Hi, I see an old post here, Jesus said NO ONE is good, God says, Noah was rightous. ? Is there a difference between good and rightous. If He says No One, this should mean in all generations, but I guess it probaly does not.     Ricky

No, there is no difference between good and righteous. They are used interchangeably throughout the scriptures.

The scriptures speak of Noah being in right standing with God in compared with the many wicked in the land at that time:

Gen 6:5  Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

contrasted to Noah:

Gen 6:9  This is the genealogy of Noah. Noah was a just man, perfect in his generations. Noah walked with God

This is a relative statement, not an all-inclusive absolute statement.

Now, when Jesus said no one was good, He is referring to all mankind:

Matt 19:17, Mark 10:18, Luke 18:19 - No one is good but One, that is, God.

Ps 14:2-3  The LORD looks down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there are any who understand, who seek God. They have all turned aside, they have together become corrupt; there is none who does good, no, not one.

Hope this helps,

Marques

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 12:58:04 PM »

The GREAT thing, the truly GRAND thing, about God, Who said no one is good, is that He doesn’t leave us that way! :)

Blessings
Arc
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.