bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what was the purpose of the flood  (Read 4794 times)

wisdom

what was the purpose of the flood
« on: December 09, 2010, 09:42:08 PM »

Since the topic was brought up i was just wondering what was its purpose?

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: what was the purpose of the flood
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 05:33:55 AM »

Truth #8 'The OT scriptures are our admonition, example, learning'

[A] "Now ALL these things happened unto them for examples: and they are written for OUR ADMONITION [to reprove, caution, warn, remind of obligation or duty, etc.], upon whom the ends of the world [‘eons—ages’] are come" (I Cor. 10:11).

[ B ] "Now these things were OUR EXAMPLES, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted" (I Cor. 10:6).

[C] "For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for OUR LEARNING…" (Rom. 15:4).

Two excerpts from Ray in this section:

It is essential that we study the Old Testament Scriptures, for they are often the only key to the New Testament Scriptures.

If you cannot identify yourself, personally, with all the stories and accounts in the Old Testament, then you have not even begun to overcome all the carnality that you are.

Paul, Peter, and the rest of the apostles taught the salvation of all from the OT Scriptures. Paul understood that the events from the OT were an 'allegory' which forshadowed spiritual truths [Gal 4:22-26].

We all are found in the OT as we all have the same human flaws. While a man of today may not receive strength from his hair as did Samson [Judges 13:5], many men of today have had their lust of a woman be their downfall as did Samson. The root of our sins is the same as for the Israelites throughout the OT as well as all humans throughout God's creation.

To add:

2Ti 3:16,17  All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Kat

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 01:03:15 PM »

Here is an excerpt that might help a bit.

http://bible-truths.com/lake12.html --------------------------

Remember the Scriptural principle that first comes the physical and then the spiritual. There are many physical types in the Bible that represent spiritual realities.

God saved Noah and his family from the raging waves of the sea in an ark. When we come to understanding spiritual things, we will clearly see that the ark represents Christ. We also have examples of Jesus saving His disciples from the raging waves of the Sea [lake] of Galilee.

"And when He was entered into a ship, His disciples followed Him. And, behold, there arose a great tempest in the sea, insomuch that the ship was COVERED WITH THE WAVES [‘and the waves beat into the ship, so that it was already filling, Mk 4:37]: but He was asleep. And His disciple came to Him, and awoke Him, saying Lord, save us: WE PERISH. And He said unto them, Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? Then He arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea: and there was a great calm. But the men marveled, saying, What manner of man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey Him!" (Matt. 8:23-27).
v

"And He [Jesus] is the propitiation [Greek: hilasmos, signifies "an expiation, a means whereby sin is COVERED and remitted" Strong’, p. 121] for our sins: and not for ours only, but also FOR THE SINS OF THE WHOLE WORLD" (1 John 2:2).

It may come as a surprise to realize that Jesus started His work of propitiation in a "lake"—the Lake of Galilee, and He will finish His work of propitiation in another lake, "the Lake of Fire."

In Romans 3:25 we read:

"Whom God has set forth to be a PROPITIATION through faith in His blood to declare His righteousness for the remission [passing over of] sins that are past, through the forbearance of God."

In Heb. 9:5 this same word hilcsterion (propitiatory) is used for the COVERING LID OF THE ARK. Jesus Christ IS the ark. When the disciples were "covered by the raging waves of the sea" Jesus Christ became their "covering," and (physically) SAVED THEM!

In Hebrew, "haven" comes from cowph, and it means "to COVER; a cove (as a sheltered bay, Strong’s Hebrew Dictionary p. 32).

Jesus not only "propitiates—COVERS," He IS the Covering, "…IS the Propitiation…" (I John 2:2). Likewise, "Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and for ever," does not just "cover" IN the lake of fire: HE IS THE LAKE OF FIRE! Jesus Christ IS the Judge of the world, and the world is Judged not only BY Jesus Christ, but IN Jesus Christ.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Marky Mark

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 01:24:08 PM »

Since the topic was brought up i was just wondering what was its purpose?

A covenant would seem to be a likely outcome of why there was a flood.The word covenant is mentioned seven times in the following Scripture.Since the number seven stands for a completion of His perfection it would stand to reason that The Lord had bigger things in mind for Noah and his family and their offspring,that being,a covenant.

Gen 9:8  And God spake unto Noah, and to his sons with him, saying,
Gen 9:9  And I, behold, I establish my covenant with you, and with your seed after you;
Gen 9:10  And with every living creature that is with you, of the fowl, of the cattle, and of every beast of the earth with you; from all that go out of the ark, to every beast of the earth.
Gen 9:11  And I will establish my covenant with you; neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a flood; neither shall there any more be a flood to destroy the earth.
Gen 9:12  And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations:
Gen 9:13  I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth.
Gen 9:14  And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud:
Gen 9:15  And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh.
Gen 9:16  And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth.
Gen 9:17  And God said unto Noah, This is the token of the covenant, which I have established between me and all flesh that is upon the earth.

As Kats post explains,it is the Spiritual matters of God which we should be mindful of because...

Joh 6:63  It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Peace...Mark

onelovedread

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 04:15:37 PM »

Rom. 11: 33 Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out!
Isa 45:7  I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
Job 38:4  Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
Ecc 3:11  He has made everything fitting in its season; However, He has put obscurity in their heart so that the man may not find out His work, that which God does.
Romans 9:15-16 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.
Ecc 1:13  It is an experience of evil God has given humanity to humble him thereby.
Proverbs. 16:18 "Pride is before a crash, and a haughty spirit is before a stumbling."
Prov. 16:4 - "The Lord has made everything for its purpose, even the wicked for the day of trouble."

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.