bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Legion Worships Jesus Christ  (Read 4557 times)

daywalker

Legion Worships Jesus Christ
« on: December 15, 2010, 06:25:30 PM »

Just wanted to share something I noticed today. I don't recall Ray or anyone pointing it out yet. How many times I've read this passages and missed this... Over and over again I see why Ray teaches to "PAY ATTENTION TO ALL THE WORDS!"

Mark 5:1-9, Concordant

1 And they came to the other side of the sea, into the country of the Gergesenes."

2 And at His coming out of the ship, straightway there meets Him a man out of the tombs, with an unclean spirit,

3 who had a dwelling among the tombs. And not even with chains was anyone able any longer to bind him,

4 because of his having often been bound with fetters and chains, and the chains were pulled to pieces by him and the fetters crushed. And no one was strong enough to tame him. "

5 And continually, night and day, among the tombs and in the mountains was he, crying and gashing himself with stones."

6 And perceiving Jesus from afar,he ran and worships Him,

An unclean spirit "worshiping" Christ!!! Of course, some would attempt to argue that this was "the man" worshiping Him, not the "unclean spirit" within the man. Yet this is dismissed by the proceeding verses:

7 and, crying with a loud voice, he (same "he" as verse 6) is saying, "What is it to me and to Thee, Jesus, Son of God Most High! I am adjuring Thee by God: Not me shouldst Thou be tormenting!"

8 For He said to it, "Come out, unclean spirit, out of the man!"

9 And He inquired of it, "What is your name?” And it is saying to Him, "Legion is my name, for many are we."

Clearly it was "Legion" the "unclean spirit" which worshiped Christ and then pleaded with Him for mercy that He not torment him at that time. I found this quite fascinating, so I just wanted to share it.

Christopher
  8)

Akira329

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
Re: Legion Worships Jesus Christ
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 11:44:14 PM »

Hey Chris,

I believe this is an example of superficial worship.
Other translations:
Emphatic Diaglott
Mar 5:6  Seeing and the Jesus from a distance, he ran, and prostrated to him;
Rotherhams
Mar 5:6  And, seeing Jesus from afar, he ran and bowed down to him;
Youngs Literal
Mar 5:6  And, having seen Jesus from afar, he ran and bowed before him,

Besides, it wasn't time for judgement! angels/spirits/messengers will be judged.
Jesus clearly showed mercy towards the spirit.
Also remember:
Heb 12:9  Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?

1Pe 3:22  Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him.

1Co 15:28  And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

Also Remember Job 1:1-12 Job 2:1-6

All things are subject unto God
Show me a place in scripture were a spirit was told by God to do something and he didn't do it, then I would be surprised!!
Thanks for this Chris!!
Potentially a great study!!

Antaiwan
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

daywalker

Re: Legion Worships Jesus Christ
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 12:25:38 AM »

Hey Chris,

I believe this is an example of superficial worship.
Other translations:
Emphatic Diaglott
Mar 5:6  Seeing and the Jesus from a distance, he ran, and prostrated to him;
Rotherhams
Mar 5:6  And, seeing Jesus from afar, he ran and bowed down to him;
Youngs Literal
Mar 5:6  And, having seen Jesus from afar, he ran and bowed before him,

Of course, the first thing I did after I read this in the Concordant earlier was open up eSword, check the Greek word and do a translation comparison. It is actually the Greek word proskuneo "meaning to kiss, like a dog licking his master’s hand", which is consistently rendered "worship" throughout the bible. Though to be clear, I wasn't implying that this "unclean spirit" was genuinely worshiping Christ as we, believers, worship Him... As Ray explains well in his Worship study, there are different levels of "worship". Just found this passage interesting... especially considering the amount of times I'd read it in the past/heard it read by someone, and that phrase "and (he--Legion) worships Him" never stuck out...

Show me a place in scripture were a spirit was told by God to do something and he didn't do it, then I would be surprised!

Well, as someone who did a study not too long ago, I can boldly tell you there is no verse!  ;) Much to my amazement, despite all the talk in Christendom about Satan and His Angels causing a great rebellion against God, Scripture clearly shows that the only beings who've ever rebelled (and continue to rebel) is us, human beings!

Of course, all in accord with His Will (it goes without saying)  ;)

Thanks for this Chris!!
Potentially a great study!!

Antaiwan

Yep, yep. No problem. Exactly the reason I decided to share it--for those who would like to add it to their notes and/or future studies.

Christopher  8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.