bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Woes of a wedded wanderer...  (Read 8090 times)

Extol

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Woes of a wedded wanderer...
« on: January 12, 2011, 11:23:43 PM »

Hi brothers and sisters,

I'd like to request prayer for my marriage, which is not doing so well. Last summer I married someone I had just met, and (not surprisingly) we are having issues because of things we didn't know about each other. I won't go into details, but we just haven't been getting along well recently.

I've been a cheerful, happy, carefree, light-hearted person. I like to laugh, smile, dance, say Hi to strangers...but now I feel depressed and as if my spirit is being crushed. I never would have guessed that marriage would be the thing to do that. I thought marriage would have increased my joy.

Obviously, I know that this episode is a part of God working all things after the counsel of His will, and I trust that good things will come from this, and that it will be beneficial to my spiritual development. But I need prayer for wisdom and patience. I don't want to be carnal-minded and think things like "If only I had done this or that differently, then we wouldn't have gotten married..." I want to embrace the challenge and press on and overcome. I can't do it without Christ.

grapehound

Re: Woes of a wedded wanderer...
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 10:04:17 AM »

Extol,
Bottom line bro' is that nothing is done without Christ.
He's the reason we're here.

It's no consolation to you, I know, but I've been here three times, and they were only the 'legal' ones. 
Whatever you 'decide' to do, will be the right thing.
It may not appear sometimes, to be the right thing, but rest assured, nothing can thwart His will; in all things.

Ray tells us that God's IQ is over 150. (and some!)

Remember that your feelings, all of 'em, are just that; feelings.  That's all they are; feelings.
Because we are emotional creatures, ( ask any advert' executive ), they loom large like mountains and giants, over us! But they're really just feelings.

I pray for your understanding in this.
Let the mountains melt and the giants fall, and 'His Peace', that passes ALL understanding, be in your heart, for now and always.

Luv Ya Bro', hang in there.
Talk with Him

Grape x

Nan

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 10:10:12 AM »

I will add you and your wife to my prayers.

lostANDfound

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 06:10:57 PM »

i think every married person has their "challenges" and it sounds like you have a good attitude in recognizing that God uses them to educate us.  i find it valuable to pause every now and then to take stock in what God has accomplished, however small it might seem when stood next to all that you hope and pray God WILL accomplish.  I LOVE THAT GOD HAS A PLAN!  i find it easy to get stressed out whether i look ahead or behind me. but the big burden of all the change ahead of you is God's burden.  and the trail of small changes behind you are God's work. (small changes to the world, huge to your spiritual development). 
running down a "thank-you God" list can help realign your brain as well.  thank God for this forum, the internet, the bible in readily available print, "free time" to learn more, the enormous gift of prayer, the enormous gift of holy spirit.  not to mention the unique qualities about your wife that you can be thankful for, even it requires some serious thinking to come up with them.  ???thank-you God that she is not a pyromaniac...so far??  thank-you God that she sometimes cooks...even if it's only kraft dinner, and only once a year for our dog's birthday and the dog gets to eat it all.  i dunno!  :)
i pray that someday you will be able to earnestly thank God for the wife He has given you. and also for the strength, wisdom, patience, long-suffering-ness to overcome whatever is ahead for you. 
...yes i know that's not a word! 

hillsbororiver

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 06:16:59 PM »

Hi brothers and sisters,

Hi Extol,

I'd like to request prayer for my marriage, which is not doing so well. Last summer I married someone I had just met, and (not surprisingly) we are having issues because of things we didn't know about each other. I won't go into details, but we just haven't been getting along well recently.

Right off the bat I got a sense you found her to be an irresistibly desirable, attractive woman, so much so you were "willing" to throw caution to the wind and not wanting to risk losing her you sought (or succumbed to) commitment. No doubt I could be totally wrong here but that is the first thought that came to mind when reading your post.

I also suspect that either she is not a believer or if she is your beliefs at this point in time do not coincide... So my friend, you have your work cut out for you. Take heart in the fact that often that first year is the most difficult one, especially with two independent type personalities used to making their own decisions and fending for themselves in a manner that has perhaps become routine.

Routines can often prove to be very difficult to break or adjust to without the attending anxiety.

Maybe it is just realizing how deep a commitment was really made has given you, her or both of you a sense of "buyer's remorse" not really due to discovering any horrible attributes of one or the other (or mutually) but that marriage is every second of every day, it is not just going out dating and having fun (like the "good old days").

The mundane tasks required to maintain a home, the inconveniences inherent in attempting to adjust to each other's schedules, idiosyncrasies, expectations, etc. is a real effort at times. There is also the issue of family and friends, neither of you can expect the same sort of freedom in regard to how you spend time with them as you have in the past, it is time to seek compromise as each of you put the other first...

I've been a cheerful, happy, carefree, light-hearted person. I like to laugh, smile, dance, say Hi to strangers...but now I feel depressed and as if my spirit is being crushed. I never would have guessed that marriage would be the thing to do that. I thought marriage would have increased my joy.

Dear Brother the best marriages just as the best of anything takes time, effort, as well as trial and error but most of all it takes a willingness to sacrifice a moment or two of our own convenience to the ultimate goal of making this union work.

I am now nearly 57 years old and a very late bloomer maturity wise... headstrong, selfish and a pleasure glutton in my (not too distant) past I eventually learned to listen more, speak less (especially emotionally and self righteously) and have empathy for my wife and the things that concern her or have more importance to her than I can actually really relate to. It is work, it is difficult but if you can persevere the reward can be better than you might imagine at this time.

Obviously, I know that this episode is a part of God working all things after the counsel of His will, and I trust that good things will come from this, and that it will be beneficial to my spiritual development. But I need prayer for wisdom and patience. I don't want to be carnal-minded and think things like "If only I had done this or that differently, then we wouldn't have gotten married..." I want to embrace the challenge and press on and overcome. I can't do it without Christ.

Amen!

My prayers are with you both.

Peace,

Joe

Kat

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 10:19:33 PM »

Hi Extol,

This life is not easy, the one thing we are guaranteed is that it will be full of problems. If it's not this, it would be something else. Okay, I know I'm just a ray of sunshine ;)

There is no need for regret or contemplating how you could have done something different or better. Things happen the only way they could have happened. Certainly you made choices, but they were not free from causes and could not have happen any other way than they did. So try to make the best of your situation. The most you can do is put forth your very best effort and keep a positive attitude.

Most importantly you have already acknowledge, "I can't do it without Christ." Trust in Him, even if things are not going the way you want them too.

I will pray He will give you the for wisdom and patience you are seeking.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

cjwood

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 02:08:40 AM »

amen to all the post responses to extol's thread.  i add my prayers for you extol, and your wife. 

claudia

Extol

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 11:51:46 AM »

Hi Joe,
 Actually, one of the things I'm most thankful for is her openness to receive the truths of God. We were already attracted to each other, but it wasn't until I told her how important my beliefs were that we really fell in love. Also, I made sure to give her a summary of my foundational beliefs (God is sovereign/All will be saved), just to make sure she didn't have a problem with it. God is still working on her regarding the free will thing, but she already agrees that eternal torment is despicable, and not something that a loving God would do.

Most of the problems we've been having are about earthly, temporary things (such as money--I'm a full time student so I haven't worked much in the last year; and she's also out of work right now). In that, I guess I can take heart...we eventually will realize how unimportant some things are, and appreciate what we have in each other.

lostANDfound, your post brought a big smile to my face. Thanks!  :D

Thank you all for your encouraging words, and your prayers. <3

Samson

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 02:14:44 PM »

Hi brothers and sisters,

Hi Extol,

Sorry to hear about Your Marital woes. I can identify with the first paragraph of Your Post. You Married someone that " You just Met," probably knowing very little about the personality traits of Your prospective Mate. Many people, both Male & Female have probably done that, including myself, more than once. Rhetorically Speaking: " Do We ever learn." Of course, but it's part of the process this Male/Female(Husband/Wife) experience. God has given the sons of Mankind(Male & Female) an experience of Evil to Humble Them. And what better way is this accomplished, why in the Marriage setting. Wives are especially adept at exposing Our personal flaws. Actually, in all Marriage settings, Our shortcomings are best identified by Our Mates.

I recall in the past, trying so hard to figure out a way to get along and Co-exist with My Wife(I'm referring to past Marriages) and nothing seemed to work. You can't control yourself, let alone your Marriage Mate. Of course, I'm not suggesting that Your trying to control anyone, but sometimes We believe & hope that by doing what You mention in Paragraph two that things will quickly change for the better. Perhaps, in the long run, but rarely in the short haul. Your experience is a training in progress, especially in the area of Patience and Tolerance.

None of the above is meant to minimize Your Pain and Suffering. In 54 years of Life, I have yet to experience anything more painful than Marital Strife. I will pray for You and hope things eventually improve and Your able to endure. Also, I will include some excerpts of Ray's that might give You some food for thought. I won't include entire sections and questions, just some points for you to ponder. Please Read below, excerpts in blue.

From the Unequally Yoked Paper.

I have personally seen marriages between a believer and a non-believer that were more loving and equally yoked than some marriages between two believers. So we need to pay close attention to ALL the words of these profound Scriptures.

We've all seen matches made in heaven that didn't work out, and conversely, we've seen marriages doomed to failure from day one, that are still going strong (or maybe not so strong, but still going, nonetheless) after 30 and 40 years. Only God knows for sure how marriages will turn out. Birds of a feather flock together, but then again opposites attract. Marriage is an area best left up to the bride and the groom.

We can advise and try to help people see different aspects of a situation. We can relay our own personal knowledge of such things. But we should not get involved in being overly righteous in these matters lest we be guilty of "forbidding to marry" (I Tim. 4:3), which is a doctrine of demons (Verse 1).

The key is becoming "unequally yoked." And that can mean marriage, but it can also mean which church one attends; of which clubs one is a member; which establishments one goes to for entertainment; which TV shows become a regular habit; with whom one becomes business partners; Etc.

From the Email Marriage Guidance, 12/15/07.

I cannot make your wife love you or desire to be with you and you only.  Possibly, you can, I'm not sure.  But for sure she might see things in you that to her seem selfish and or self-centered (I'm only guessing by some of the things you have expressed).  A woman wants to see strength in a man. If she doesn't see it, it is a real turn-off for them.  Stop thinking about yourself and direct your attention to the welfare of your wife and family, and just maybe your wife will respond in kind. Sorry I can't go on and on, but I don't know either one of you, so it is not possible for me to give you individual counsel. Besides, this is not my calling--I am a teacher, not a "Dear Abby romantic counselor." Hope you understand. I will pray that both you and your wife will make the right decisions to hold your family together.
    God be with you,
    Ray

From the Email: Men/Woman Roles, 6/20/07.

Dear Charles: Being the "head" of a household is not a philosophy that is taught, learned, and then believed.   I am persuaded that millions of men "believe" that they are the head of their household, when the actual reality of the situation is, their wives are the head.  Their wives don't just believe they know who should be in charge, they know for a fact that THEY ARE IN CHARGE.  But all too many men have been fooled into thinking that when their wives "say" that the husband is the head, then he is the head.

I learned something profound about the time I finished boot camp in the Army.  Leadership is not something that can be assigned to something.  Here is what I have come to believe:  "You are not a leader unless someone is FOLLOWING YOU!!"  Many wives mockingly laugh at all the men who think they are in charge, all the while these wives KNOW that they are in charge of their husbands.  Men have seen this situation played out in situation comedies all of their lives, and laugh right along with the audience when a macho husband makes a fool out of himself, and yet fail to see it when it is happening to them in their own family.

Women desire power over men, even if they have zero desire to be president of the United States.. If they achieve this power, their husbands tend to become wimps, which make their wives unhappy.  A woman needs a strong man in order to be happy and fulfilled, even when they might not think so.  Sadly, however, some men are so weak that their wives find it absolutely necessary to take the leadership role of the family, or it would fall apart.  Men need to love, respect, and provide for their wives and family, and then they will show respect for his leadership. These three provisions are ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL to the success of any family. LOVE, RESPECT, PROVISIONS!

My wife follows my lead not because I tell her that I am in charge, but because she sees, feels, and is an eye-witness to the leadership position I take and fulfill.  Don't talk about being the leader of your family, just LEAD, and if your family follows, THEN YOU ARE A LEADER, THEN YOU ARE THE HEAD. But you can never be a leader without LOVE, RESPECT AND PROVISIONS.

God be with you,

Ray

Extol, I thought that the above Email answer regarding Roles was pretty good. I don't think that I ever read that one before. As You probably Know, Ray doesn't get too involved in Relationship oriented Emails like Dr. Phil would. Outsiders of a Marriage don't know every detail in a troubled relationship, only hearing one side and even then, none of Us really know, except God. Make Your petitions known to Him. I will Pray for You and I certainly don't envy Your plight, it's not pleasant, that's for sure.

Kind Regards, Samson.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 05:01:04 PM by Samson »

shaggy

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 02:30:27 PM »

Hi Folks, My name is Jerry but I put Shaggy as My User name, This is my first post here on Bible Truths.
It really bothers me a lot when I see or hear of a Marriage breaking up.
Why does it have to happen?
Can we keep the Faith?
My relationship with My wife has been unbroken and we married when we were 17 years old, in Lebanon Va.
I was just enlisted in the Military and wanted to have a Job before I married her, although we were both young and had our differences from time to time, we worked it out, going on 40 years now, and the more the better.
I don't see why people divorce and loose out on a long life relationship, that in the end can't be bought or even imagined by anyone but the two that are experiencing it.
I today wouldn't trade my Wife for anything made of this earth, and I'm confident she feels the same about me, after all when I was down and virtually homeless she was beside me.
And I beside her.
If there is anything to save this marriage, then it should be saved and all differences dissolved and life must go on.
I'm really sorry that the first post is one of Two people separating, I'm sure there are reconciliation and forgiveness between these Two People.
Please work t out, you'll be glad you did in the end, you never know what life brings on you, but one thing for sure is there is more to staying the curse than there could ever be in destroying what you have between you.
Love you all. I been reading Rays Post a long time on his web page, and I really am glad we have (1) person that really can take time to enlighten us all. He's done a fine job.
Thanks Ray, and hope you are doing OK. Jerry.

hillsbororiver

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 08:04:24 PM »

Hi Joe,
 Actually, one of the things I'm most thankful for is her openness to receive the truths of God. We were already attracted to each other, but it wasn't until I told her how important my beliefs were that we really fell in love. Also, I made sure to give her a summary of my foundational beliefs (God is sovereign/All will be saved), just to make sure she didn't have a problem with it. God is still working on her regarding the free will thing, but she already agrees that eternal torment is despicable, and not something that a loving God would do.

Most of the problems we've been having are about earthly, temporary things (such as money--I'm a full time student so I haven't worked much in the last year; and she's also out of work right now). In that, I guess I can take heart...we eventually will realize how unimportant some things are, and appreciate what we have in each other.

lostANDfound, your post brought a big smile to my face. Thanks!  :D

Thank you all for your encouraging words, and your prayers. <3

Hi Extol,

Ahhh... that dastardly money thing, I totally skipped over that reality!  :o

That is a big one, perhaps the biggest (or most prevalent) frustration with so many newlyweds. I feel like an idiot missing that issue!  :-\

When income is a problem cutting costs is the first and sometimes the only solution, way back in the caveman days (1970's) I faced the same problem and after complaining to my parents how tough things were and how we were experiencing a lack of fund$ to meet our commitments my Mom said she could help.

YES! $$$ to the rescue!  ;D

In a couple days I received a very thick envelope in the mail... hmmmm Mom & Dad sending cash rather than a check, what's up with that?  ???

After frenetically ripping open the envelope (all the while careful not to tear legal tender) I saw nothing but hand written pages...

Recipes.  :P

RECIPES!  >:(

Yes, recipes from my Grandmother who fed a family of six on pennies during the Depression in the 30's plus some my Mother used when her and my Dad were struggling with one income and 2 (at that time) toddlers (my sister and me) back in the 50's... Needless to say it was not the quick fix I was anxiously anticipating.  :'(

Well, I will resist my natural tendency to be tedious and long winded and just say after the initial disappointment it was, "ok, what the **** have I got to lose?" As it turned out I lost nothing, saved about 50% of what we had been previously paying for groceries and we also found that cooking and being creative in the kitchen drew us closer together albeit with a bit of competition as to who could make the best stuff.

Casseroles.

Crock pot meals.

Pasta.

Rice and beans.

Stews.

The list is huge and one advantage you have that we (Grandma, Mom, etc.) did not is the Internet, you can find a whole bunch of inexpensive, healthy (but maybe time consuming) recipes online that could cut food costs way down, also with Tupperware or even foils or wraps you can use leftovers for lunch or freeze for future use.

It works if you try it. There is an incredible amount of satisfaction in creating a meal for under $10 that makes 2 suppers and a lunch or two...

Actually there are many talented, creative chefs here in the Forum who I am quite sure would be more than happy to share some tips on tasty, inexpensive meals.

There are more ways to save or reduce costs but they often do require a bit more time and diligence, public transportation for one.

I am certain we have people right here who can offer excellent suggestions, especially Craig, he throws nickels around like manhole covers... I heard he still has money from left from what the Tooth Fairy gave him as a kid.  :D

Peace,

Joe  
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 08:06:44 PM by hillsbororiver »

grapehound

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 11:02:01 PM »

Amen John and Joe.

Sagely stuff.

Joe, I love your Mom and Dad!

walt123

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 01:42:01 AM »

Hi extol

Welcome to the world of marriage,I would strongly recommend to books,
the" Total money makeover" by Dave Ramsey.

A proving track record that it works,just omit the 10% to the Church section.

And the other book,"Men are from mars and Women are from Venus.

O ,one last thing to remember "A happy wife is a happy life".

Walt.

hillsbororiver

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 09:47:30 AM »

Amen John and Joe.

Sagely stuff.

Joe, I love your Mom and Dad!

Hi Grape,

They had a sense of humor, were not overly concerned about my "self esteem" and would push and prod us to be independent and productive, they set a very good example with all the adversity they both overcame in their lives starting at a very young age but that is a whole other story.

Thanks and take care,

Joe

Samson

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 12:35:07 PM »

Hi extol

Welcome to the world of marriage,I would strongly recommend to books,
the" Total money makeover" by Dave Ramsey.

A proving track record that it works,just omit the 10% to the Church section.

And the other book,"Men are from mars and Women are from Venus.

O ,one last thing to remember "A happy wife is a happy life".

Walt.

Amen, Brother Walt,

" A Happy wife is a Happy Life,"  ;D. I can remember a friend of mine many years commenting about His Mother finally having a good Marriage and He stated: " My Mother is finally happy, Now we are all allowed to be Happy."  ;).

Kind regards, Samson.

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 02:15:34 PM »

God says I am to love and obey Him/him. His/his Love for me and His/his Authority strengthens me to obey Him/him.

It is God Who brings the strength to obey and the joy of love to relationship and marriage, for without Him, our prayers too, would be cut off.

Blessings
Arc
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 07:52:14 AM by Arcturus »

walt123

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 02:55:23 PM »

Thanks, arc ,that was and is beautiful.

Men should take the lead,but I see many women here in the forum as leaders.
 In all relationships ,aim high in Godliness and good things will happen, just be patient.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhxINyIZ454

Walt.

judith collier

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2011, 06:58:43 PM »

Extol, it's true women want power but only if the man is not stepping up to the plate! Women see infinite details in marriage, the income, the home, kids, the future, etc. So when you talk to a woman about the marriage you are talking about all these things. She wants to feel secure that the concerns she is bringing up is being listened to and understood. Woman want a plan for the future, we are a very practical gender.
If you can sit down with her and listen and make priorities she will believe you are invested with her and your future. If you make concessions so will she. Reassure her. Please do not call what she does nagging, but rather hear what is important to her.
Judy

cjwood

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011, 03:19:22 AM »

... God says I am to love and obey Him/him. His/his Love for me and His/his Authority strengthens me to obey Him/him.

It is God Who brings the strength to obey and the joy of love to relationship and marriage, for without Him, our prayers too, would be cut off.

Amen deb to those words the Spirit of God gave to you for us, and for yourself.  those thoughts have been ever present in my marriage.  in the smooth times, and the rocky, potholed times. 

claudia

Extol

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 07:36:24 PM »

Thanks again to all who have responded here. It's great to have such a support group on here; it's one of many reasons I'm thankful for this wonderful website. Blessings to all for your encouragement and prayers.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 19 queries.