bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Giving Up on Everything  (Read 6057 times)

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Giving Up on Everything
« on: February 03, 2011, 08:28:39 AM »

On the beginning of this e-mail, I would like to Thank God for people like You. Brothers in Christ.

I'm not so strong follower of Jesus, I'm rather poor faith and my consciousness can be easily harmed. I have only one question that keeps bugging me here it is :

( Thanks to You Ray ( thanks to God ) I've learned many things and truth set me free, but How do You understand this spiritual lesson ( which shouldn't be taken literally ) :

""Large crowds were traveling with Jesus, and turning to them he said: 26“If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple. 27And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.

28“Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Will he not first sit down and estimate the cost to see if he has enough money to complete it? 29For if he lays the foundation and is not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule him, 30saying, ‘This fellow began to build and was not able to finish.’

31“Or suppose a king is about to go to war against another king. Will he not first sit down and consider whether he is able with ten thousand men to oppose the one coming against him with twenty thousand? 32If he is not able, he will send a delegation while the other is still a long way off and will ask for terms of peace. 33In the same way, any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple.

34“Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? 35It is fit neither for the soil nor for the manure pile; it is thrown out.""

I kinda understands it's meaning, both of them had to GIVE UP ( King and Builder ) on something. But how am I supposed to live then? As a beggar? ( i know a while ago I said about being literal )If the answer is YES then, Ok I can do it! I struggle a lot y'know. I aslo have other conceptions less ( carnal ) than that, but I would like to hear it from YOU Ray if we are ( OF ONE MIND of CHrist, one Thought, One Body ).

Thank You so much for Your time. And I understand that You may not be able to respond. I bless You in Jesus name so You can recover from Your illness. Please be of a good cheer!

Dawid Cz. - Truth is stranger than fiction.

Dear David:  It would help me a great deal if when asking me questions on the Scriptures, you would let me know
from what version or translation you are using, and from what book and what chapter in that version.  There are often
four gospel accounts of the same event, and hundreds of translations, which makes for many hundreds of possibilities.

I particularly was interested in the words "give up everything" from the translation you used. A better translation would be:
"...taking LEAVE of all his possessions."  Jesus is not telling them in this case, to give away, or sell all that they possess,
but rather to be willing to forsake (maybe for just awhile) the pleasures of many possessions.  Didn't Peter say to Christ
that "...we have FORSAKEN ALL" in Matt. 19:27?  What was Jesus' reply?  He said they would sit on twelve thrones
judging the twelve tribes of Israel.  Are WE all promised to sit on twelve thrones as they were?  Sometimes context is
important.  Now then, more importantly, did Peter and the apostles (at this time of Matt. 19:27), literally get rid of everything
they owned to follow Jesus?  No, a few years later when they crucified Jesus and Peter thought their ministry was over,
what did Peter say?

Joh 21:3 Simon Peter saith unto them, I GO A FISHING. They say unto him, WE ALSO GO with thee.

They went forth, and entered into a ship immediately; and that night they caught nothing.
Did they not still own a "boat" to "go a fishing?"  God is not asking us to give up, get rid of, or give away, all of our worldly
possessions and become beggars in the street to follow Him.  Hope this helps you.

God be with you,

Ray
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.