bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Judging Ourselves  (Read 9422 times)

hillsbororiver

Judging Ourselves
« on: February 06, 2011, 08:07:36 PM »

So how is this "judging ourselves" business working for you?  ;)

What I am really asking is what kind of grade or score would you give yourself? I know, for me at least it might be an "I" for incomplete... perhaps even an "F" for failing... miserably.

But then I reread 1Corinthians Chapter 11 and it got me to thinking...

1Co 11:31  For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.

1Co 11:32  But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

It was the Greek root for "chastened" that got my attention;

From G3816; to train up a child, that is, educate, or (by implication) discipline (by punishment): - chasten (-ise), instruct, learn, teach.

OK, so if I am judging myself then what follows is "training, education and discipline" from God... So there hope, if we are continually aware of our spiritual condition, find ourselves lacking then we can expect some real feedback from God. On the other hand if we are complacent about our condition we are not being judged now, but later in the LOF, sure there is still hope but I really do want to be a part of His great work in bringing His real (Spiritual) Kingdom home in the next age.

One thing I can feel confident in saying is that I think about this stuff (God's strange work) constantly, the problem is that thinking about and doing/living what I have been given (even this limited amount) in knowledge are two entirely different things. It is a bit comforting to know Paul (not Saul) struggled with this too, although he obviously had higher standards than I have ever had.

Rom 7:15  For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

Rom 7:16  If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.

Rom 7:17  Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

Rom 7:18  For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

Rom 7:19  For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

Yeah.... me too.

Peace,

Joe

longhorn

Re: Judging Ourselves
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 02:31:04 AM »

Good Question Joe.  I think for me it's more of seeing " Me " in all of God's word.  I'm Joseph's brothers, I'm Abel, I'm Peter and Judas who denied Christ.  I mainly pray that God will give me the ability to truly Love others.  I pray for a forgiving spirit and that he will continue to reveal himself to me.  Col 3:14 " But above all these things put on Love, which is the bond of perfection.

Longhorn

Akira329

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 10:29:45 AM »

Rom 7:15  For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

Rom 7:16  If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.

Rom 7:18  For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

Rom 7:19  For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

Yeah.... me too.

Peace,

Joe

Hey Joe,

As odd as it may be, it is comforting to know that Paul struggled with his sin too.
I'm always reminded of this section of scripture when trying to overcome my desires of the flesh.

When I think about 1 Corinthians 11:31-32 this scripture comes to mind also;
Jas 1:22  But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
Jas 1:23  For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:
Jas 1:24  For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
Jas 1:25  But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

I cannot forget what manner of man I am.
Nice topic Joe.

Antaiwan
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

lauriellen

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 11:12:28 AM »

John from Kentucky, love your attitude....wish we could all be this content. =)

Chris R

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 06:19:58 PM »

Hey Joe,

I'll tell ya how the "judging thing" is going for me, Every single day I make a judgment on something I said, or done, and either I say, "I shouldn't do/say that anymore, or I say, I'm glad I didn't Say, or Do what I was thinking!

Perhaps it isn't the "F" we give ourselves that matters as much as the fact we continued to try and make improvement that does.

Any way...Haven't got an "A" yet......

Perhaps the struggle itself is of use to us?

Chris R

judith collier

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 10:02:14 PM »

John, how good it is to know who and what you are and that All is of God. The more you trust the less you fear even your proclivity to sin. You know you are incapable so just agree with God about your condition. The torture is in bearing ourselves once we've seen His perfection and that too can take the turn of adoring Him even more. That he loves me is still difficult to fanthom but i cast that aside because beholding Him is so much more than beholding myself.
You re a good reminder John!
love, judy

DougE6

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 12:28:43 AM »

Tit 3:8  This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.

Heb 12:1  Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

Heb 2:3  How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;

2Ti 2:10  Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.

1Co 9:24  Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.

Php 3:14  I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

2Ti 2:3  Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.

Mat 24:13  But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Rev 2:26  And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:

Mat 5:16  Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Jas 2:26  For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Jas 2:22  Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

Jas 2:18  Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

Jas 2:24  Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

Tit 3:14  And let ours also learn to maintain good works for necessary uses, that they be not unfruitful.

Tit 2:7  In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity,

1Co 9:26  I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:
1Co 9:27  But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

Php 3:14  I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

2Pe 1:10  Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

Rom 13:11  And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.

Jud 1:3  Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

2Co 5:2  For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:

1Th 5:17  Pray without ceasing.

2Co 7:1  Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

Heb 6:12  That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

2Pe 1:4  Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Heb 6:12  That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

Mat 5:12  Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

Heb 10:35  Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.

Rev 3:4  Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.
Rev 3:5  He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

Mat 22:37  Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

1Ti 6:11  But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.
1Ti 6:12  Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.

OK first I apologize for writing  so many scriptures, but there are SO MANY exhortations, I just wanted to write some to remind us. I could write page after page.

Speaking for myself, I will seek the First Resurrection with all my heart.  It matters not that God has already predetermined who is in or not.  It only matters that I obey Him.  It only matters that I love Him.  And I keep the goal of my Faith in sight at all times.  I do not want to be a castaway.  Please God, I do  not want to be a castaway.  I would be terribly sad to miss the First Resurrection.   And I consider his great and precious promises, something incredibly precious and meaningful, something I will earnestly  strive for,  even if there was only a tiny chance that I was one that was chosen.

I full well know it is all of God and I/we are His workmanship, but I will have the attitude above. God willing.  I love God, and I love the attitude to be earnestly contending, to be obeying, to be overcoming, to try and try again, always wanting more and seeing Him change me, and the attitude I want found in me, because I want to please Him.  Maybe I am like a puppy, eager to please His Master.  I do not know, but His precious promises speak to my heart and through these promises I live in the Spirit.

Lord, I pray that I/we will be in the First Resurrection.  Please mold me/us and change me/us,  teach me/us to walk in the Spirit, please give me/us the victory that overcomes the world.  I/we know I /we cannot do it without you. I/we want to be a bride without spot or wrinkle.  I/we want to hear Well done my good and faithful servant.   I/we know I/we  are spiritually weak as water in my/our own strength.  But you make me/us strong.  In you I/we are so much stronger. I beg you Please don't go.  Don't let me/us go back to Egypt, to back to self reliance, as you have delivered me/us and shown me/us  how good you are, and how in you I/we can live victoriously.  I/we thirst for you more than anything else.

I do not want to be a castaway.  I want to be in the First Resurrection!

DougE6

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 03:10:13 AM »

Hello

Is it wrong of me if I gently point out a couple things written above which I do not understand?

It was written " We are not important"  That does not seem scriptural to me, in any sense.  Jesus died for us.  God did His very best and went through the trouble of making us. Everything God does is important. And God spent a great deal of time energy and effort on us. Just look at the creation, the stars and universe, and how fearfully and wonderfully we are made. As Ray once said, God did His very best. God is not a slacker.  He put forth His best effort. That is why everything is so unimaginably greater than we.  So we must be very important to Him.  Compared to God, yes we are like an ant. True. But are we unimportant? I think not.

It was also written " There is much suffering.  I feel bad that I can't do anything about it."  That does not seem scriptural to me. We are to help relieve suffering. We have two arms, two legs, and many gifts and talents to help others.  We can pray, we can give, we can love.  These are very tangible things we can do to do something about suffering.  God has chosen to work through his people in this world.  We must let Him motivate and work through us.  I am so happy people have helped me in times of suffering.  And I love it when God uses me to help someone when they are suffering.

I think we must be careful to NOT let "no free will" to somehow become AN excuse to prevent us from actually trying.  Just because God ultimately does the work, does not mean we are not to try. The Bible is full of admonitions to try.  How do we know our very trying is not the very agency God is going to use to help alleviate the suffering of others?  Or to be the very agency that God is going to save or heal someone?

Should we not respect the scriptures commands and admonitions? Are they not supposed to cause us to will and to do? Does anyone get saved without some input from another human being obeying God and reaching out? Does anyone hear without a preacher?  Does anyone preach without being sent? 

It was written, " But only God can save and heal, which He will do in due time."  these words are completely true.  But maybe His due time is when we do the works we are to do in obedience to our Lord.  Or when we pray and struggle on the behalf of others. This is what Love actually does. Love demonstrates.  Love struggles on the behalf of others.  And when we Love, and we struggle on the behalf of others, we find that God starts saving and healing.

If I Love God or Love others, then I better show it by tangible action. Otherwise it is meaningless and worthless.  God is going to judge our actions.  They are very important. my summation....(to get back to the thread topic more targeted) is our actions are very important and as we judge ourselves, we must plead with God and strive so our resulting of judging ourselves eventually sees change. It will come when God sees fit, and maybe a lot later than we wish, but it doesn't change the fact that the exhortations are there. I will not accept myself the way I am, all carnal and selfish and unloving. .  I love seeing God change me.  He has changed me in ways that I could not do on my own, already.  I am so grateful for that. And I see how much weakness is there, but I also have known how I can resist when He makes me strong, and how I can be brave when I am fearful, and so on.  And I can love those whom I have no natural desire to love at all.

grapehound

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 06:56:41 AM »

Beautifully said Doug, however I can understand every point of view here.
This Free Will issue seems to be something of a 'nugget' at the heart of a lot of threads, and it's understandable that this can sometimes lead to a form of lethargy.

I was recently watching The Matrix , for the umpteenth time.
There's a great piece of dialogue that might be useful for those sheeple struggling with the Free Will issue.

The excellent Mr. Reeves is in an exchange with the woman character playing the 'Oracle'.
She offers him a candy.

He:       " You already know if I'm going to take it. "

She:     " I wouldn't be much of an Oracle if I didn't ! "

He:       " But if you already know, how can I make a choice? "

She:     "  Because you didn't come here to make the choice.  You already made it.
                 You're here to try to understand WHY you made it . "

I think that's as succinct as I've ever heard it.  We're here to understand why we made those choices.

It doesn't take a Philadelphia lawyer to understand that  we don’t worship God for His sake. We worship Him for our sake.

'Sin' is not revealed so that God can see it.
It’s revealed so that we can see it.
God doesn’t desire prayer for Him to hear.
It is for us to hear.

Grape x

hillsbororiver

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 05:20:26 PM »

Good Question Joe.  I think for me it's more of seeing " Me " in all of God's word.  I'm Joseph's brothers, I'm Abel, I'm Peter and Judas who denied Christ.  I mainly pray that God will give me the ability to truly Love others.  I pray for a forgiving spirit and that he will continue to reveal himself to me.  Col 3:14 " But above all these things put on Love, which is the bond of perfection.

Longhorn

Hi Longhorn,

I totally relate to what you are saying...

It was a revelation to me when I contemplated what Ray stated in the very last sentence of Truth #8;

"If you cannot identify yourself, personally, with all the stories and accounts in the Old Testament, then you have not even begun to overcome all the carnality that you are."

http://bible-truths.com/twelve.htm

Peace,

Joe

hillsbororiver

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 06:34:24 PM »

A Scripture says, "Don't worry about anything".  I thank the Great God for giving me the gift of following that Scripture.  Jesus is Savior.  He will save me.  He does the work.  He gives me both the to will and the to do.  That's why Jesus said His yoke was easy and His burden light.  Big dumb me believes Him.  Or more precisely, He gave me the blessing of being able to believe Him.

I don't know if I will be in the 1st Resurrection.  I don't really care.  There are two possibilities: 1) I will be in the 1st Resurrection, and 2) I will not be in the 1st Resurrection.  The decision was made by God before anything was created.  It's none of my business.  The topic is way above my pay grade.  If I am in, then I will be happy because I will be following the will of the Father.  If I am not in, then I will be happy because I will be following the will of the Father.

I can see that God has been with me all of my life up to the present.  He has brought me through His judgments by fire.  I have learned a little here, a little there.  Line upon line, precept upon precept.  I believe He will lead me through what the future will bring, no matter what He has willed for me, based upon His past performance.

I perceive that many here on the Forum are worried and concerned about many things.  There is much suffering.  I feel bad that I can't do anything about it.  But only God can save and heal, which He will do in due time.

Hi John,

Thanks for your response and I think it would be much easier for me if I could just go with the flow and not have any concern about my spiritual development, did not despair over my repeated failings, desire a closer relationship with Christ and yearn for the opportunity to be a part of His work to bring all mankind to Him. 

But I could not find any scripture that states; "Don't worry about anything."

Perhaps you can show me chapter and verse on that phrase, I did find in the NIV the word "worry" which is not in the KJV...

Matthew Chapter 6 (NIV)

Do Not Worry

Mat 6:25 Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?

Mat 6:26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?

Mat 6:27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?

Mat 6:31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’

Mat 6:32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.

Mat 6:33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

Mat 6:34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

To me He is saying don't get worked up or stressed out over what might happen tomorrow, you have enough (problems, issues, trouble) on your plate as it is today. Along with this admonition is another one, and that is; "But seek first His kingdom and righteousness..."

In other words don't be anxious about the basic needs of your earthly life, rather spend your energy seeking God and the Kingdom...

Seeking is an action, it is not passive, no one can seek climbing to the pinnacle of Mt. Everest by laying around on their couch watching TV although they might catch someone else doing it on National Geographic.

I am not presumptuous enough to say that all of us experience the same exact journey, but eventually our paths all end at the same destination (thank God), from my vantage point and from numerous scriptures this entrance into His Kingdom requires tribulation and an active participation to be prepared as well as the realization I need to always be on guard, be girded with His armor and to actively resist temptation through prayer in a humble spirit.

Even in this I know there is much more work to be done, realizing it is not enough only having the knowledge of salvation as I have become complacent or self satisfied all too often.

But that is me...

Peace,

Joe

hillsbororiver

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 06:41:10 PM »

Yeah.... me too.

Peace,

Joe

Hey Joe,

As odd as it may be, it is comforting to know that Paul struggled with his sin too.
I'm always reminded of this section of scripture when trying to overcome my desires of the flesh.

When I think about 1 Corinthians 11:31-32 this scripture comes to mind also;
Jas 1:22  But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
Jas 1:23  For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:
Jas 1:24  For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
Jas 1:25  But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

I cannot forget what manner of man I am.
Nice topic Joe.

Antaiwan

Hi Antaiwan,

Excellent addition from James!

Believe me He does not forget to remind me of "the manner of man" I am as well...

You are right it is comforting to know (and relate to) the trials and tribulations of those who preceded us.

Peace,

Joe

hillsbororiver

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 07:12:04 PM »

Hey Joe,

I'll tell ya how the "judging thing" is going for me, Every single day I make a judgment on something I said, or done, and either I say, "I shouldn't do/say that anymore, or I say, I'm glad I didn't Say, or Do what I was thinking!

Perhaps it isn't the "F" we give ourselves that matters as much as the fact we continued to try and make improvement that does.

Any way...Haven't got an "A" yet......

Perhaps the struggle itself is of use to us?

Chris R

Hi Chris,

I agree, it is all about the struggle, building spiritual strength.

1Co 9:24  Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.

1Co 9:25  And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

Paul likens this journey to an athletic contest, anyone who has participated in sports of any kind knows there are many setbacks and disappointments as well as self sacrifice and hard work to win a championship.

It often amazes me in regard to the first thought that might spring to my mind even now in trying situations and like you mentioned it is a great feeling when that instinct is overcome by submitting to His Spirit rather than falling off a cliff into the abyss by following my own beastly spirit.

Peace,

Joe

hillsbororiver

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 07:19:10 PM »

Tit 3:8  This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.

Heb 12:1  Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

Heb 2:3  How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;

2Ti 2:10  Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sakes, that they may also obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.

1Co 9:24  Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.

Php 3:14  I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

2Ti 2:3  Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.

Mat 24:13  But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Rev 2:26  And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:

Mat 5:16  Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Jas 2:26  For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Jas 2:22  Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

Jas 2:18  Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

Jas 2:24  Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

Tit 3:14  And let ours also learn to maintain good works for necessary uses, that they be not unfruitful.

Tit 2:7  In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity,

1Co 9:26  I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:
1Co 9:27  But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

Php 3:14  I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

2Pe 1:10  Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

Rom 13:11  And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.

Jud 1:3  Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

2Co 5:2  For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:

1Th 5:17  Pray without ceasing.

2Co 7:1  Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

Heb 6:12  That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

2Pe 1:4  Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Heb 6:12  That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

Mat 5:12  Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

Heb 10:35  Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.

Rev 3:4  Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.
Rev 3:5  He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

Mat 22:37  Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

1Ti 6:11  But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.
1Ti 6:12  Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.

OK first I apologize for writing  so many scriptures, but there are SO MANY exhortations, I just wanted to write some to remind us. I could write page after page.

Speaking for myself, I will seek the First Resurrection with all my heart.  It matters not that God has already predetermined who is in or not.  It only matters that I obey Him.  It only matters that I love Him.  And I keep the goal of my Faith in sight at all times.  I do not want to be a castaway.  Please God, I do  not want to be a castaway.  I would be terribly sad to miss the First Resurrection.   And I consider his great and precious promises, something incredibly precious and meaningful, something I will earnestly  strive for,  even if there was only a tiny chance that I was one that was chosen.

I full well know it is all of God and I/we are His workmanship, but I will have the attitude above. God willing.  I love God, and I love the attitude to be earnestly contending, to be obeying, to be overcoming, to try and try again, always wanting more and seeing Him change me, and the attitude I want found in me, because I want to please Him.  Maybe I am like a puppy, eager to please His Master.  I do not know, but His precious promises speak to my heart and through these promises I live in the Spirit.

Lord, I pray that I/we will be in the First Resurrection.  Please mold me/us and change me/us,  teach me/us to walk in the Spirit, please give me/us the victory that overcomes the world.  I/we know I /we cannot do it without you. I/we want to be a bride without spot or wrinkle.  I/we want to hear Well done my good and faithful servant.   I/we know I/we  are spiritually weak as water in my/our own strength.  But you make me/us strong.  In you I/we are so much stronger. I beg you Please don't go.  Don't let me/us go back to Egypt, to back to self reliance, as you have delivered me/us and shown me/us  how good you are, and how in you I/we can live victoriously.  I/we thirst for you more than anything else.

I do not want to be a castaway.  I want to be in the First Resurrection!

Amen Doug!

I cannot add much to your post other than this;

Heb 12:8  But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye b*st*rds, and not sons.

I feel the same yearnings as you do.

Peace,

Joe

P.S. No need to apologize.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 08:23:41 PM by hillsbororiver »

hillsbororiver

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 05:11:49 PM »

Hi John,

When I first responded to you I had only consulted a couple of translations but I had checked Strongs and found this;

G3309
μεριμνάω
merimnaō
mer-im-nah'-o
From G3308; to be anxious about: - (be, have) care (-ful), take thought.

After searching the Blue Letter Bible (and all the versions/translations available there) it is most often translated using the above "anxious about" rather than "careful for nothing" or "don't worry about anything." (You can check the link below)

http://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=Phl&c=4&v=6&t=KJV#vrsn/6

But this is actually a side issue, the bigger one is making a doctrine from a few words of one verse. If all the bible could be summed up by the phrase "Don't worry about anything" it should be the shortest book in the history of mankind.  ;)

We should not forget the following admonishments;

Isa 28:9 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.

Isa 28:10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

2Pet 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation

2Cor 13:1 This is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established.

Let's look at Php 4:6 in its entirety; Don't worry about anything but in everything, by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;

Don't worry, don't be anxious (impatient), don't stress out trying to figure a way out of a situation or in attempting to justify our thoughts and actions... Pray to God about your concerns, that is what this verse speaks to me, especially in light of all the other scriptures (many listed earlier in the thread) in regard to this journey. Let's not wring our hands all bound up by our own inadequate works and solutions (or lack thereof) but rather petition our Father in prayer.

That is pretty much the essence of this topic, when we veer off the path of seeking Him in all things, if we become anxious, impatient and act impulsively then we deserve to judge ourselves as having failed, but by His grace we will surely get another opportunity to win the next spiritual battle by praying for submission to His will, remembering Him in all things, in all circumstances, small and great.

At the beginning of the article you quoted from we have an example from our Lord dealing with a very extreme situation;

THE GREATEST DRAMA OF THE AGES

If you like drama, then Matt. 26:36 is the place to find it. Few pay close attention to what is really going on in these few verses of Scripture. The humanity of Jesus is brought into direct conflict with the will of His God and Father. First I will jump ahead of our story slightly so that you understand the setting of this greatest of all prayers in the history of the universe. After praying for one hour Jesus returns a short way back to His Apostles and says:

"Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak" (Matt. 26:41).

Was the "flesh" of Jesus any stronger than that of His apostles? No, it was the same flesh. Paul tells us that, "…there is ONE kind of flesh of men…" (I Cor. 15:39). Jesus was given this same "one kind" of flesh (John 1:14 & Rom. 1:3). And so the flesh of Jesus was just as "weak" as that of His Apostles. Jesus instructed His apostles to stay awake and pray with Him for one hour. None of them could do it. None of us could have done it. They just ate a meal and they were now sleepy (not only physically sleepy, but especially spiritually sleepy). Now back to the beginning of this great drama:

"Then comes Jesus with them unto a place called Gethsemane, and says unto the disciples, Sit you here, while I go and pray yonder [over there]. And He took with Him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee [James and John] and began to be SORROWFUL, AND VERY HEAVY. Then said He unto them, My soul [His fleshly, conscious humanity, not His spirit] is EXCEEDING SORROWFUL, EVEN UNTO DEATH [spirit doesn’t die, it is our flesh that must die]. Tarry [stay] you here, and watch with Me.

And He went a little farther, and fell on His face, and prayed saying, O MY FATHER, IF IT BE POSSIBLE, LET THIS CUP [this cup of death—being beaten beyond recognition, being made sin offering, and crucified for the sins of humanity] pass from Me: NEVERTHELESS, NOT AS I WILL, BUT AS THOU WILL" (Matt. 26:36-39).

"And there appeared an angel unto Him from heaven, strengthening Him. And being in an agony He prayed more earnestly: and His sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground" (Luke 22:43-44).

I doubt that any of us can ever fully appreciate what unfathomable human trauma and agony was taking place for those three hours in the garden that night two thousand years ago. The eternal destiny of the entire human race was at stake, and Jesus KNEW IT! And believe me, Jesus’ Father was agonizing right along with His Son:

"In all their afflictions, He [GOD] was afflicted… in His love and in His pity He redeemed them…" (Isa. 63:9).

"Though He were a Son, yet learned He obedience by the things which He SUFFERED" Heb. 5:8.

And oh how Christ was suffering that night in the garden! But right there in the garden is the answer to all prayer. "O MY FATHER… nevertheless, not as I will, BUT AS THOU WILL." Jesus not only prayed that way; Jesus thought that way:

"I can of Mine Own Self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not My Own will, but the WILL OF THE FATHER WHICH HAS SENT ME" (John 5:30).

And again:

"For I came down from heaven, not to do Mine Own will, but the will of HIM THAT SENT ME" (John 6:38).

Did Jesus pray as earnestly as it is possible to pray that God would "let this cup pass?" YES, He did.

Did God grant Jesus His desire to "let this cup pass?" NO, He didn’t.

But, did Jesus get His prayer answered? YES, He surely did. How so? Because Jesus’ greater desire was that His Father’s will be done, rather than "let this cup pass." This example from our Lord is the answer to answered pray and it is also the answer to unanswered prayer.

http://bible-truths.com/praying.htm

Peace,

Joe

olasupo jacobs

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 06:29:35 AM »

amen....."let your will be done on earth as it is done in heaven"
only His ( the fathers') will would prevail there is nothing we can
do about it....May we be found continually in His will despite our
frailty, ignorance and peculiar situations...having this gives me a
complete rest of mind about all things and in all situations. OSJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.