bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Traditional Church Doctrines?  (Read 22626 times)

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
Traditional Church Doctrines?
« on: February 18, 2011, 12:58:03 PM »

Ray and I were talking today (he's about the same) and we were wondering about any traditional church doctrines he has not touched on. We could not think of any.

Can anyone think of and mainstream doctrines Ray has not mentioned in his writings?

There's no real meaning for this question other than my curiosity.

Thanks,

Dennis

mharrell08

Re: Traditional Church Doctrines?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 01:16:45 PM »

Ray and I were talking today (he's about the same) and we were wondering about any traditional church doctrines he has not touched on. We could not think of any.

Can anyone think of and mainstream doctrines Ray has not mentioned in his writings?

Thanks,

Dennis

The Word of Faith movement aka 'Name It and Claim It'.

His 2008 bible study 'Sowing Spiritual Seed' only lightly touched on it, if I recall. But I haven't heard it in awhile.

grapehound

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 05:10:17 PM »

Thanks Dennis,

I understand the Mormon church have a doctrine of praying for the dead.

A 'prophetic' speaker came to my old Babylon fellowship one night and caused uproar and wrangling for weeks after, suggesting we did likewise.

I'd be interested to learn if there is any basis for this belief.

grape

longhorn

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 05:19:32 PM »

The church I use to attend had a annual Halloween trick or treat party.  Everyone, Kids and adults dress up in every kind of costume imaginable and then after the party would have worship service, unbelievable, but then again, the last time I attended that church I was stinking drunk, so I still had a pretty good o'l time.

Longhorn

grapehound

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 05:24:22 PM »

You're a Beaut' Longhorn !

G. Driggs

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 11:08:02 PM »

Singing is pretty huge in my part of the world. I get the feeling they think it makes them more spiritual. Quite often many Christians from all over will travel hundreds of miles and get together in church just to sing for a few days.

G.Driggs

Akira329

• "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 12:18:50 AM »

Thanks,

Dennis

The Word of Faith movement aka 'Name It and Claim It'.

His 2008 bible study 'Sowing Spiritual Seed' only lightly touched on it, if I recall. But I haven't heard it in awhile.

I have to agree with Marques.
I couldn't find any that stuck out more than the Word of Faith Movement

Positive Confession Movement:
If I speak "spiritual enough" or "faithful words" I can have anything I want! (LOL "Name It and Claim It!)
Prosperity Movement:
Jesus was rich, I should be rich, healthy, successful in every life endeavor and if I'm not, I'm going to hell.

All the same........
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

bpenelli

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 01:40:17 AM »

What about the doctrine of making confessions?

Brad
Romans 7:24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? 25 Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.

prarrydog

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 03:44:34 AM »

What about the doctrine of making confessions?

Brad

Seeing as most of my family are catholic I will definitely second this one

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 05:36:52 AM »

Thanks,

Dennis

........... "no real meaning.....other than...curiosity" ....is the other traditional church doctrine that Ray has not touched on.

Arc

grapehound

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 08:04:21 AM »

The bone from the marrow Arc !
The bone from the marrow !

chav

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 10:14:19 AM »

Hi

Apostles prophets (the prophetic movement) and the five-fold ministry is another doctrine going around, although Ray has touched on it with his bible study on church government.

Spiritual warfare and casting out devils.

Healing and deliverance although I guess that might well come under WOF movement which has previously been mentioned.
Dave

Kat

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 01:28:44 PM »

This goes along with the Catholic confession thing, I think, that many churches teach to repent or ask for forgiveness daily. I know we die daily, but it is my understanding that we are brought to repentance and receive the Holy Spirit and NOT continually 'daily' repent.

I found a site where this is explained.

Daily Repentance Stirs the Mighty Waters of Baptism

In the gift of forgiveness of sins, the Holy Spirit stirs the waters of our baptism. As He stirs the waters through daily repentance, He drowns the Old Adam and brings to the surface our New Adam. It is the New Adam, the creature of love, who daily rises to build the marriage (Eph. 4:22ff).

Beneath the keyboard of my computer are the words of Luther's Morning and Evening prayers. These prayers of repentance prod me to see my constant need to repent! Through repentance the Spirit stirs the waters of Holy Baptism with God's "yes" in Jesus Who accepts the sinner!

When Luther declared in the first of his 95 Theses that "the whole life of the Christian was to be a continual repentance," this was beautiful baptism language. It was a call to that blessed daily death called "Baptism." In Baptism we are brought into union with Christ (Rom. 6:3). It is this union which can feed the marriage union. By daily repentance of our sins, we stake to the cross the arch enemy of any marriage, our sinful nature.

Kat

Aatos

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 11:02:30 PM »

I don't know, one traditional church doctrine I've yet to see Ray expand upon is the one that states that during the final judgment we'll be made to watch the lives of every single person that ever lived.

Of course, come to think of it, maybe he hasn't, because that doctrine just sounds very dumb.  (20 billion people, (random number) times 75 years (average) = WORST. MOVIE. EVAR.  or  "Daddy, where's the popcorn?"  or  "When do we get to the good parts?") 

geokuhns

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 02:43:23 PM »

Bingo?  ;D

octoberose

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2011, 09:50:06 PM »

Well, I was thinking in my background they don't bring in musical instruments. It really is very prevalent in some 'non-denominational' churches. The belief is that we are told in Ephesians 5:19 to"Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord".. Apparently the words for hymns or spiritual songs indicate  A cappella. Also, the first century church is not believed to use instruments. It seems like a small thing, but I know people who could not in all good conscience sit in a church and sing with instruments.

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2011, 10:04:29 PM »

To tack on, the whole "holiness" movement with it's various prohibitions.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

believerchrist100

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 12:48:05 PM »

I would agree with all the above, but also I would add:

1. Christian Patriotism
2. Loving your enemies and turn the other cheek

I know these subjects may have been covered lightly in e-mails and various studies, but I haven't heard too much on that in a while) and they would be great to be heard more in depth. But of course, this is just to answer curiousity.

Patrick

arion

• Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 05:23:56 PM »

1. Christian Patriotism

That is a good one.  In many conservative churches if you don't stand lock step with supporting the military and every military action this country takes then your not a real believer.  My church was like that.  And in many of the mainline churches if your not a liberal and into social justice then your not a believer either.

Joel

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 08:26:41 PM »

Hey Dennis
Yes, I would like for Ray to expound on " The Spoken Word Is The Original Seed."

Thanks, Joel
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.