bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: personal Jesus?  (Read 6652 times)

chav

personal Jesus?
« on: February 19, 2011, 10:20:37 AM »

Hi
One of the things I often hear stated and used to believe myself is 'Christianity is not a religion but a personal relationship with Jesus' Just wondering whether we really do have our 'own personal Jesus' as the song states.I'm not sure whether I can say that now ,seeing that I now see Christ in a much greater light since  coming into these truths.Looking back to my church days I'm questioning what sort of relationship I did think I have.Is there truth in that statement or is it just another christian cliché
Just wondering what other peoples experience regarding this.
Dave

longhorn

Re: personal Jesus?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 12:12:10 PM »

I think of it more being Jesus has his own personal Longhorn.  He's conforming me into his image.

Longhorn

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 12:18:30 PM »

I think of it more being Jesus has his own personal Longhorn.  He's conforming me into his image.

Longhorn

Makes sense to me.

We are not our own personal property and though many are yet possessed, all shall be set free!

Arc

CEO

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 12:26:12 PM »

Hi

I see truth in 'relationship' as opposed to religion'.  Children and inheritors of the kingdom are more in a family-like relationship than a rules dominated false religon.  Also Christ is a person, Christ is love, and love correlates well with  with relationship.

Ask seeknock

Charles O

Foxx

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 12:32:10 PM »

The phrase "personal relationship" is a bit contrived admittedly but it depends on how you look at it. The truth of the matter is that God has plans for each of us regardless of whether or not we believe. Those who do believe can receive blessings from Him certainly but perhaps our acknowledgment of those blessings and the acceptance that He is in control of everything is the things that "sets us apart" from many others.

I most certainly know that God has a plan for my life and it will naturally be different than that of yours or anyone else for that matter. In terms of a personal relationship this is part of that. The other thing is the Holy Spirit. That is our connection to Christ. The Holy Spirit can give us answers and directs us and when we obey God we often receive blessings. As a matter of fact everything is a blessing! Its because a blessing isn't what we WANT its what we NEED! Whether we choose to accept it or not is up to us.

Yesterday I had a big argument with my boss of two years and suffice it to say things are on shaky ground. The people of my company steal from employees and threaten them as well unjustifiably. Charming employers they are. I got into it with them over some issues and they told me I better be at work today or ELSE! On my way to work, 10 minutes away from the place, my tire blows out...

So for the next 2 hours I was waiting for a tow truck to take me home just so I could be late to work for a very short amount of time and to be honest I may get fired today but God knows how incredibly cruel these people are and he knows how unhappy I am there because of it. Regardless of my appreciation for income during these tough economic times.  But what happens yesterday on the way to work? When my job is on the line? My tire blows out!! I couldn't help but laugh at the "irony". But was that accident? Was that something God wanted bad to happen to me? Of course not. I had thought that my tire needed changing a week ago and I told myself I need to change it THIS WEEK, but I didn't think of it..It was no where in my mind when the tread ripped clear off the sucker. Although, He knew it would happen and he knew it would make them angry that I wasn't at work, and he knew I most likely will get into more trouble for not showing up! HA! He knows how to manipulate natural external circumstances and things in our mind to bring about certain results.

I don't blame him for this but I am actually quite thankful because I know that some good will come of it. My point of this story is that our relationship with Christ is one of spiritual and external circumstances that we may or may not choose to recognize.  Hopefully you will recognize that your belief in Him and his promises for us shows that there are no coincidences. After all, "this is the day that the Lord has made, rejoice and be glad in it" But how many of us actually are? Many still grumble when things do not go our way, that is our carnal mind rejecting what God wants for us.

Our personal relationship with Christ is something that is always growing and our recognition of his control and love for us will undoubtedly prove to be a blessing in all areas of life, because everything that happens, whether difficult or painful is something that we need and will bring about glory to Him.

God bless!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 12:41:32 PM by Foxx »

Felix

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 12:43:56 PM »

Hi Dave
I think that it's interesting that you are from England. I wonder what church is like there. Here in the
southern part of the U.S. church is a religion in itself. For some of us our whole culture revolves around
church. I used to wonder why the preacher would say that you had to have a personal relationship
with Jesus because the bible never said that. Or, at least not in those words. I read that we are to
"walk with Christ" and that may be the same thing as a personal relationship. But, why should we use
words that are not in the Word.

Also, our church would say that you have to "accept Christ" and I have never read this in the bible either.
My pocket dictionary defines accept as to receive willing. Doesn't the bible say that there is none willing?

Felix

Joel

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 12:48:11 PM »

Tis true it is the Lord that is working a work in us, in as much as we are changing from glory to glory. Learning about him in the Word, with the witness of the Holy Spirit.

Ain't me that's heading anything up, I can only hope to be lead by the Holy Spirit to more truth and bear fruit that pleases him in good works, rather than evil.

Colossians 1:27
 To whom God was pleased to make know how great for the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is, Christ WITHIN AND AMONG YOU the hope of [realizing] the glory.

To me at least that's getting pretty personal. :)

Joel

chav

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 12:59:15 PM »

Hi
thanks for your replies.I agree God is leading us all the time whether we are aware or acknowledge it or not.Also Christ himself stated

'Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.' Joh 14:23 

So I guess that makes it pretty personal too but I'm not so sure whether I have reached that level yet
Dave

Foxx

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 01:02:27 PM »

Hi
thanks for your replies.I agree God is leading us all the time whether we are aware or acknowledge it or not.Also Christ himself stated

'Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.' Joh 14:23 

So I guess that makes it pretty personal too but I'm not so sure whether I have reached that level yet
Dave

Well, just try not to worry about it too much (not saying you are for sure). There a lot of things I struggle with but I will keep obeying as best as I know how and it Lord willing it will continue to grow. Your recognition of these things is most certainly a good thing!

onelovedread

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 10:03:47 PM »

As you have therefore received Christ, [even] Jesus the Lord, [so] walk (regulate your lives and conduct yourselves) in union with and conformity to Him. Have the roots [of your being] firmly and deeply planted [in Him, fixed and founded in Him], being continually built up in Him, becoming increasingly more confirmed and established in the faith, just as you were taught, and abounding and overflowing in it with thanksgiving. See to it that no one carries you off as spoil or makes you yourselves captive by his so-called philosophy and intellectualism and vain deceit (idle fancies and plain nonsense), following human tradition (men's ideas of the material rather than the spiritual world), just crude notions following the rudimentary and elemental teachings of the universe and disregarding [the teachings of] Christ (the Messiah).

My counsel for you is simple and straightforward: Just go ahead with what you've been given. You received Christ Jesus, the Master; now live him. You're deeply rooted in him. You're well constructed upon him. You know your way around the faith. Now do what you've been taught. School's out; quit studying the subject and start living it! And let your living spill over into thanksgiving.
Watch out for people who try to dazzle you with big words and intellectual double-talk. They want to drag you off into endless arguments that never amount to anything. They spread their ideas through the empty traditions of human beings and the empty superstitions of spirit beings. But that's not the way of Christ. Everything of God gets expressed in him, so you can see and hear him clearly. You don't need a telescope, a microscope, or a horoscope to realize the fullness of Christ, and the emptiness of the universe without him. When you come to him, that fullness comes together for you, too. His power extends over everything.

acomplishedartis

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 12:09:19 PM »

In some phrases the meaning change depending what that ‘phrase’ mean for the ones whom are using it, and for the ones who say it, right?

The term ‘‘Christianity is not a religion but a personal relationship with Jesus’’ or that ‘‘we must have our own personal relationship with Jesus’’ have to be one of them. If somebody around this forum says it honestly, for me it would mean something very different than if somebody stocked on the church traditions say it.

One example where I can see these clearly is on ‘mainstream Christian - gospel music’ and their many lyrics full of Christian cliche's. Even when some lyrics sound right and the music is very nice and power full as to move our emotions all around, I believe that they are mocking God’s word (even without knowing it and with good intentions) because what are they saying means for them something very different from what the Scriptures actually say, also for the way they present their music (trough dirty musical industry, very expensive and fancy stages and equipment, and etc., etc.) they often make a shame of what they are saying… many times they are using the word of God as a marketing tool, for fame and money, or maybe just because they naively think to be doing their musical Christian mission on earth. (Anyway, maybe I am starting to move on from the theme at hand).

I also wonder what ‘‘short of relationship with Jesus’’ I also did have back in church. Maybe a very twisted one, I think many churches use that term to reinforce individualism and the notion that they are so special by choosing to be ‘‘friends’’ of Jesus and not too burn like stakes as the majority.

I read this, a few days ago on an email that Ray reply;

‘‘I have said all my life: "When it comes to religion simple words loose all meaning." ’’

Well, that’s my mind on it - But not wanting to sound preachy.

Moises

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.