bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hair  (Read 5965 times)

lostANDfound

hair
« on: February 24, 2011, 06:28:19 PM »

the more i learn, the more i see every part of life: the cosmos, people, etc as interwoven parables and symbols of who and what God is and His plan.  strangely, the topic of "hair" and it's spiritual implications has popped into my head on and off for awhile now.  there just seem to be a lot of references to hair in the bible and some of them seem very pointed. Sampson of course, the OT rules involving hair and being declared clean or unclean, the Nazirite vow symbolized by long hair, Absolom’s famous hair, Ezekiel and dividing the hair into thirds, Nebuchadnezzar’s hair growing like eagles feathers, Paul cutting his hair before sailing to Syria because of a vow he’d taken, the woman wiping Jesus feet with her hair,  all the instructions about men and women and hair in I corinthians... 

while i was setting up these scripture references i came across 3 that specifically state the meaning of hair (at least as far as the Nazirite vow goes) but i don’t think it can be applied to every mention of hair: 

Numbers 6:9
“‘If someone dies suddenly in the Nazirite’s presence, thus defiling THE HAIR THAT SYMBOLIZES THEIR DEDICATION, they must shave their head on the seventh day—the day of their cleansing.

Numbers 6:18
“‘Then at the entrance to the tent of meeting, the Nazirite must shave off the hair that symbolizes their dedication. They are to take the hair and put it in the fire that is under the sacrifice of the fellowship offering.

i made a list of verses mentioning hair, which is not complete as some are repetitious so i left those ones out. but first here’s a short list of things to keep in mind that we know about hair while we think about it’s possible spiritual implications:

-for people: some hair is for show, some is just for your mate to see
-science still struggles with making unwanted hair stop growing and making wanted hair start growing
-the “for show” hair grows from the head of the body, Jesus is the head of the church.  the husband is the head of the wife.
-for the most part, it is still common for women to wear it long and men to wear it shorter
-and from wikipedia:
-hair is one of the defining characteristics of the mammalian class
-The only "living" portion of the hair is found in the follicle. The hair that is visible is the hair shaft, which exhibits no biochemical activity and is considered "dead".
-it does help to keep the sense organs, such as the eyes, working properly
-Healthy hair indicates health and youth
-Hairstyle may be an indicator of group membership
-Facial hair is a sign of puberty in men
-Heads were shaved in concentration camps, and head-shaving has been used as punishment, especially for women with long hair.

Genesis 27:11
Jacob said to Rebekah his mother, “But my brother Esau is a hairy man while I have smooth skin.

Exodus 26:7
“Make curtains of goat hair for the tent over the tabernacle—eleven altogether.

Leviticus 10:6
Then Moses said to Aaron and his sons Eleazar and Ithamar, “Do not let your hair become unkempt and do not tear your clothes, or you will die and the LORD will be angry with the whole community. But your relatives, all the Israelites, may mourn for those the LORD has destroyed by fire.

Leviticus 13:3
The priest is to examine the sore on the skin, and if the hair in the sore has turned white and the sore appears to be more than skin deep, it is a defiling skin disease. When the priest examines that person, he shall pronounce them ceremonially unclean.

Leviticus 13:30
the priest is to examine the sore, and if it appears to be more than skin deep and the hair in it is yellow and thin, the priest shall pronounce them unclean; it is a defiling skin disease on the head or chin.

Leviticus 13:31
But if, when the priest examines the sore, it does not seem to be more than skin deep and there is no black hair in it, then the priest is to isolate the affected person for seven days.

Leviticus 13:40
“A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean.

Leviticus 13:41
If he has lost his hair from the front of his scalp and has a bald forehead, he is clean.

Leviticus 13:45
“Anyone with such a defiling disease must wear torn clothes, let their hair be unkempt, cover the lower part of their face and cry out, ‘Unclean! Unclean!’

Leviticus 14:8
“The person to be cleansed must wash their clothes, shave off all their hair and bathe with water; then they will be ceremonially clean. After this they may come into the camp, but they must stay outside their tent for seven days.

Leviticus 14:9
On the seventh day they must shave off all their hair; they must shave their head, their beard, their eyebrows and the rest of their hair. They must wash their clothes and bathe themselves with water, and they will be clean.

Leviticus 19:27
“‘Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard.

Numbers 5:18
After the priest has had the woman stand before the LORD, he shall loosen her hair and place in her hands the reminder-offering, the grain offering for jealousy, while he himself holds the bitter water that brings a curse.

Numbers 6:5
“‘During the entire period of their Nazirite vow, no razor may be used on their head. They must be holy until the period of their dedication to the LORD is over; they must let their hair grow long.

Numbers 6:9
“‘If someone dies suddenly in the Nazirite’s presence, thus defiling THE HAIR THAT SYMBOLIZES THEIR DEDICATION, they must shave their head on the seventh day—the day of their cleansing.

Numbers 6:18
“‘Then at the entrance to the tent of meeting, the Nazirite must shave off the hair that symbolizes their dedication. They are to take the hair and put it in the fire that is under the sacrifice of the fellowship offering.
Deuteronomy 32:25
In the street the sword will make them childless; in their homes terror will reign. The young men and young women will perish, the infants and those with gray hair.
Judges 16:19
After putting him to sleep on her lap, she called for someone to shave off the seven braids of his hair, and so began to subdue him. And his strength left him.
Judges 16:22
But the hair on his head began to grow again after it had been shaved.
Judges 20:16
Among all these soldiers there were seven hundred select troops who were left-handed, each of whom could sling a stone at a hair and not miss.
1 Samuel 14:45
But the men said to Saul, “Should Jonathan die—he who has brought about this great deliverance in Israel? Never! As surely as the LORD lives, not a hair of his head will fall to the ground, for he did this today with God’s help.” So the men rescued Jonathan, and he was not put to death.
1 Samuel 17:35
I went after it, struck it and rescued the sheep from its mouth. When it turned on me, I seized it by its hair, struck it and killed it.
1 Samuel 19:13
Then Michal took an idol and laid it on the bed, covering it with a garment and putting some goats’ hair at the head.
2 Samuel 14:26
Whenever he cut the hair of his head—he used to cut his hair once a year because it became too heavy for him—he would weigh it, and its weight was two hundred shekels by the royal standard.
2 Samuel 18:9
Now Absalom happened to meet David’s men. He was riding his mule, and as the mule went under the thick branches of a large oak, Absalom’s hair got caught in the tree. He was left hanging in midair, while the mule he was riding kept on going.
2 Kings 1:8
They replied, “He had a garment of hair and had a leather belt around his waist.” The king said, “That was Elijah the Tishbite.”
2 Kings 9:30
[ Jezebel Killed ] Then Jehu went to Jezreel. When Jezebel heard about it, she put on eye makeup, arranged her hair and looked out of a window.
Ezra 9:3
When I heard this, I tore my tunic and cloak, pulled hair from my head and beard and sat down appalled.
Nehemiah 13:25
I rebuked them and called curses down on them. I beat some of the men and pulled out their hair. I made them take an oath in God’s name and said: “You are not to give your daughters in marriage to their sons, nor are you to take their daughters in marriage for your sons or for yourselves.
Job 4:15
A spirit glided past my face, and the hair on my body stood on end.
Job 15:10
The gray-haired and the aged are on our side, men even older than your father.
Job 41:32
It leaves a glistening wake behind it; one would think the deep had white hair.
Psalm 68:21
Surely God will crush the heads of his enemies, the hairy crowns of those who go on in their sins.
Proverbs 16:31
Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained in the way of righteousness.
Proverbs 20:29
The glory of young men is their strength, gray hair the splendor of the old.
Song of Solomon 4:1
He How beautiful you are, my darling! Oh, how beautiful! Your eyes behind your veil are doves. Your hair is like a flock of goats descending from the hills of Gilead.
Song of Solomon 5:2
She I slept but my heart was awake. Listen! My beloved is knocking: “Open to me, my sister, my darling, my dove, my flawless one. My head is drenched with dew, my hair with the dampness of the night.”
Song of Solomon 5:11
His head is purest gold; his hair is wavy and black as a raven.
Song of Solomon 7:5
Your head crowns you like Mount Carmel. Your hair is like royal tapestry; the king is held captive by its tresses.
Isaiah 3:24
Instead of fragrance there will be a stench; instead of a sash, a rope; instead of well-dressed hair, baldness; instead of fine clothing, sackcloth; instead of beauty, branding.
Isaiah 22:12
The Lord, the LORD Almighty, called you on that day to weep and to wail, to tear out your hair and put on sackcloth.
Isaiah 46:4
Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.
Jeremiah 7:29
“‘Cut off your hair and throw it away; take up a lament on the barren heights, for the LORD has rejected and abandoned this generation that is under his wrath.
Ezekiel 5:1
[ God’s Razor of Judgment ] “Now, son of man, take a sharp sword and use it as a barber’s razor to shave your head and your beard. Then take a set of scales and divide up the hair.
Ezekiel 5:2
When the days of your siege come to an end, burn a third of the hair inside the city. Take a third and strike it with the sword all around the city. And scatter a third to the wind. For I will pursue them with drawn sword.
Ezekiel 5:3
But take a few hairs and tuck them away in the folds of your garment.
Ezekiel 8:3
He stretched out what looked like a hand and took me by the hair of my head. The Spirit lifted me up between earth and heaven and in visions of God he took me to Jerusalem, to the entrance of the north gate of the inner court, where the idol that provokes to jealousy stood.
Ezekiel 16:7
I made you grow like a plant of the field. You grew and developed and entered puberty. Your breasts had formed and your hair had grown, yet you were stark naked.
Ezekiel 44:20
“‘They must not shave their heads or let their hair grow long, but they are to keep the hair of their heads trimmed.
Daniel 4:33
Immediately what had been said about Nebuchadnezzar was fulfilled. He was driven away from people and ate grass like the ox. His body was drenched with the dew of heaven until his hair grew like the feathers of an eagle and his nails like the claws of a bird.
Daniel 7:9
“As I looked, “thrones were set in place, and the Ancient of Days took his seat. His clothing was as white as snow; the hair of his head was white like wool. His throne was flaming with fire, and its wheels were all ablaze.
Hosea 7:9
Foreigners sap his strength, but he does not realize it. His hair is sprinkled with gray, but he does not notice.
Zechariah 13:4
“On that day every prophet will be ashamed of their prophetic vision. They will not put on a prophet’s garment of hair in order to deceive.
Matthew 3:4
John’s clothes were made of camel’s hair, and he had a leather belt around his waist. His food was locusts and wild honey.
Matthew 5:36
And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black.
Matthew 10:30
And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.
Luke 7:38
As she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them.
Luke 7:44
Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair.
Acts 18:18
[ Priscilla, Aquila and Apollos ] Paul stayed on in Corinth for some time. Then he left the brothers and sisters and sailed for Syria, accompanied by Priscilla and Aquila. Before he sailed, he had his hair cut off at Cenchreae because of a vow he had taken.
1 Corinthians 11:6
For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head.
1 Corinthians 11:14
Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him,
1 Corinthians 11:15
but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering.
1 Timothy 2:9
I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes,
Revelation 1:14
The hair on his head was white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire.
Revelation 6:12
I watched as he opened the sixth seal. There was a great earthquake. The sun turned black like sackcloth made of goat hair, the whole moon turned blood red,
Revelation 9:8
Their hair was like women’s hair, and their teeth were like lions’ teeth.

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: hair
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 09:03:13 PM »

There are several hundred laws that were done away with. See Ray's tithing paper.

lostANDfound

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 09:29:27 PM »

I wasn't asking if there are laws about our hair, I was wondering more about the symbolism.

lostANDfound

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 02:29:40 AM »

i want to publicly apologize for being short with you Dennis.  whether or not it came across in my response to you, i was grumpy.  and being short with you was my retaliation for what felt like you being short with me, and not really reading what i posted.  i am simply interested in what hair might represent as a whole in the bible, much like fire, salt, etc. represent something and it carries over from the OT to the NT.  so while i feel that you could be more patient with new posters, i don't feel it was right or very mature for me to act as i did. 
so, i'm sorry.

mharrell08

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 03:02:14 AM »

i am simply interested in what hair might represent as a whole in the bible, much like fire, salt, etc. represent something and it carries over from the OT to the NT.

Usage, or how the word is used, is the key in understanding how things such as hair, fire, salt, etc. can be a metaphor to a higher, spiritual meaning. Not every instance of the word 'hair' being used will have the same meaning as another. Samson was told to never cut his hair, where as Paul cut his for a Godly oath. Both displayed great faith in God, but in completely opposite ways.

Also, to have assurance in any spiritual meaning, we would need a spiritual match. Again, this is where usage becomes important. A spiritual match is not simply having the same word in the parable (fire & fire; hair & hair - for example). It is in the messages themselves that pertain to the same truth. Paul speaks of fire in 1 Cor 3 in the same manner as Christ does in Rev 20. It's not because they both used the word 'fire' but because they are teaching the same principle: All works being judged.

Sometimes hair simply means hair, other times a sort of 'covering', while other times a sign of shame. You'll need to read through the scriptures in depth to find that spiritual meaning and/or symbolism you are looking for.

Hope this helps,

Marques

Duane

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 10:44:26 AM »

Hi---GLAD to be back, (after an involuntary absence).
What a wonderful and COMPLETE article on the simple (?) topic of "hair"!
In my 65 YOUNG years of life, there has probably been no other subject so controversial as HAIR, beards,
et. al.  (No, I will take that back--"Christian/worldly" MUSIC leads the pack!)
My father, being a minister, kept very good track of my hair length, lest I look "worldly".  Elvis "DA" style
really caused havoc in our church (remember the 50's?) as far a "stylish" boys were concerned!  It (the issue) is probably what caused my first "doubts" about what I was being taught thru traditional church teachings.  I figured that God gave these "spiritual male giants" BEARDS/whiskers and yet their object was "Gillette Blue Blades for the CLOSEST, CLOSEST shave of all!"  Were these men, teaching us "rebellious youth about "DA's" the same rebellious men who SHAVE closely the VERY BEARD GOD CREATED ON MAN to distinguish them from women?  I saw that as hypocritical--and my rebellious/independent attitude HASN'T improved with the years re: stupid church teachings (fads).  Then, to add fuel to the fire, along comes RAY and the FORUM!  Woe is ME!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 12:49:36 AM by Duane »

jassy

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 02:48:38 PM »

LostandFound

That was a wonderfull post. Very deep and well thought out. Got me thinking. One of the major thoughts was, what was the colour of Christ hair?
Why do we struggle so much to disguise the onset of age by covering the grey? Grey or white hair was the sign  respect must be given to that person. It was not an embarrassment that you were getting older.
Long hair unbound is still not a good idea if you want to be taken seriously. When my hair was waist long I learnt quickly to braid it at the work place. It is something for your mate to enjoy.
That piece of bible you gave from the song of Solomon about the hair being like a flock of sheep coming down from the mountain was so beautiful.
Why are different races given different hair types. from glossy black to curly to auburn splendour? So much thought went into giving us hair when God made us.
Yes, it important. If you are ill the first thing to show it is your hair. How you take care of your adornment or lack of it reflects very much who you are.

Thank you for that post. I love different perspectives.

jassy

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 04:46:16 PM »

Amen jassy! 8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.