bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I Need Help With An Old Lady  (Read 7433 times)

John from Kentucky

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
I Need Help With An Old Lady
« on: February 28, 2011, 12:52:52 AM »

I need help from the spiritual giants on this website with the gift of spiritual discernment.

My mother is 77 years old.  She has been a good Catholic her whole life.  Catholics are not supposed to eat meat on the Fridays during Lent.  For the last several years she has been eating vegetarian pizzas during Lenten Fridays, which seemed O.K. with me.

However, this year she is contemplating sin.  She said she is sick of eating vegetarian pizzas.  This year she plans to eat soy products that taste like beef or chicken.

I told her that would be wrong.  That she has a total carnal mind that is trying to skirt the rules.  That if she has to give up meat, then eating a food that tastes like meat would be sinful.  I told her she needed to see her priest as soon as possible to get this straightened out.

I can't depend on a priest to agree with me.  So what I need is two or three scriptures to spiritually slam dunk the old lady.  Please help me!

arion

• Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
Re: I Need Help With An Old Lady
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 01:39:17 AM »

With everything you have learned here John do you believe that your going to get 'truth' from a Catholic priest or any of the ministers in Babylon?  Why does she have to give up meat?  What do the scriptures have to say about this?

1Ti 4:3-5  ...Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.   For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

Whatever she chooses to eat that is her business and if she chooses to either eat meat or soy products that taste like meat and can do so with a clear conscience then more power to her.

To be frank and with all humility;

So what I need is two or three scriptures to spiritually slam dunk the old lady.  Please help me!

You have a greater problem you need to deal with before you try to correct her.  Why do you need to 'spiritually slam dunk' anyone...especially your own mother?

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 06:40:51 AM »

I couldn't find 'pizza' in scripture with my e-sword search function.  Since the bible doesn't say anything about eating pizza for Lent, she should probably forgo it altogether, or maybe eat something that tastes terrible.  I would imagine her priest would have no problem with that, and it might even earn her some 'brownie' points, so to speak.  Not that she should be eating brownies for Lent.  Unless they taste terrible.  I could whip her up a batch that would fit the bill.

Good luck with the slam-dunking.  It'd be easier to do BEFORE she eats, but that's up to you.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Craig

• There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 08:19:57 AM »

When I first read your post I thought someone had hijacked your account, it didn't sound like you.  Then taking in account your posting history I saw the tongue in cheek.  But yes an emoticon would have helped.

Craig

Stacey

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 09:11:18 AM »

John, betcha the Priest is gonna have the right answer ____ < insert what ever emoticon fits. Ha ha

Guess I'm a weirdo cause I didn't need a smiley face to pick up on the funny side of your first post here.

Don't have any Scripture to help you out, sorry, you may be on your own but maybe not, best of luck _____ < to you.

Stacey
Stacey

arion

• Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 11:21:45 AM »

Sorry John;

I was going on the premise that your posting about the slam dunk was serious and I was scratching my head a bit there.  As far as soy goes the stuff is full of estrogen so it would probably be good for an old lady but us guys might want to avoid it...and not because of a spiritual issue.   ;D

Blessings,

Doug

Revilonivek

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 04:51:59 PM »

I need help from the spiritual giants on this website with the gift of spiritual discernment.

My mother is 77 years old.  She has been a good Catholic her whole life.  Catholics are not supposed to eat meat on the Fridays during Lent.  For the last several years she has been eating vegetarian pizzas during Lenten Fridays, which seemed O.K. with me.

However, this year she is contemplating sin.  She said she is sick of eating vegetarian pizzas.  This year she plans to eat soy products that taste like beef or chicken.

I told her that would be wrong.  That she has a total carnal mind that is trying to skirt the rules.  That if she has to give up meat, then eating a food that tastes like meat would be sinful.  I told her she needed to see her priest as soon as possible to get this straightened out.

I can't depend on a priest to agree with me.  So what I need is two or three scriptures to spiritually slam dunk the old lady.  Please help me!

I'm not one of the spiritual giants of this website, but i know alot about unconditional  love and exhorting one another.( exhorting means to exalt someone else)

we are told not to act as stumbling blocks for others who are weak.  we are to be respectful of those who believe differently, even those from different religion, on different topics, such as food, etc, to the point of giving in what we think is right, for the sake of theirs, so they dont lose faith.   for example, food, beliefs, etc.

for example, If a person believes with all her heart that it is wrong to eat the meat during lenten fridays, and you see her walking around the edge of eating meat on those days,   it is your duty to make sure they don't sin, by giving up meat yourself so you don't become the reason they stumble. 1 Corinthians 8:9

9Don't cause problems for someone with a weak conscience, just because you have the right to eat anything. (CEV)

1 Corinthians 8:13
13So if I hurt one of the Lord's followers by what I eat, I will never eat meat as long as I live. (CEV)

Maybe you should give up eating meat altogether, or at least during those days, for the sake of your mother's?  that's love. think about it,It'll help her with hers by giving support,  it comes from her own core that she believes eating meat is wrong on specific days,  and she sees you eating meat..its tempting her.  it  If you see her stumbling from it, or straying  from her beliefs then you should  help her up by exhorting her by reminding how wonderful and pleasing she has been to God... That's all you can really do,

and if she still strays in spite of what you do, its not your fault. Maybe she is learning and maturing, realizing there's nothing wrong with eating meat, on her own.

no one  would want to be the reason someone strays from their faith,  try to be supportive and try everything you can do to help her keep hers, unless she strays from certain beliefs  on her own.

Remember, God doesn't care about the doings, God cares about your character. :)(who you are) If you go out of ur way to help your mother keep hers... That's something :)

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 05:16:51 PM »

You're right John.  My parents spared me from being catholic.  I still get questions with as much 'meat' in them (pardon the pun, it was purely intentional) from my mother.  I just stroke my chin thoughtfully and look concerned.  You might try that. 

From my vast studies in comparative religion, all I can come up with is that she limit her meatless, meat-like pizza to three slices.  I'm glad ya'll are having a good time.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Revilonivek

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 07:00:19 PM »

So sorry for giving you a piece of the bible,  when you used slam dunking without an emotion, i got worried.. LOL.

I'm not one of the spiritual giants of this website, but i know alot about unconditional  love and exhorting one another.( exhorting means to exalt someone else)

we are told not to act as stumbling blocks for others who are weak.  we are to be respectful of those who believe differently, even those from different religion, on different topics, such as food, etc, to the point of giving in what we think is right, for the sake of theirs, so they dont lose faith.   for example, food, beliefs, etc.

for example, If a person believes with all her heart that it is wrong to eat the meat during lenten fridays, and you see her walking around the edge of eating meat on those days,   it is your duty to make sure they don't sin, by giving up meat yourself so you don't become the reason they stumble. 1 Corinthians 8:9

9Don't cause problems for someone with a weak conscience, just because you have the right to eat anything. (CEV)

1 Corinthians 8:13
13So if I hurt one of the Lord's followers by what I eat, I will never eat meat as long as I live. (CEV)

Maybe you should give up eating meat altogether, or at least during those days, for the sake of your mother's?  that's love. think about it,It'll help her with hers by giving support,  it comes from her own core that she believes eating meat is wrong on specific days,  and she sees you eating meat..its tempting her.  it  If you see her stumbling from it, or straying  from her beliefs then you should  help her up by exhorting her by reminding how wonderful and pleasing she has been to God... That's all you can really do,

and if she still strays in spite of what you do, its not your fault. Maybe she is learning and maturing, realizing there's nothing wrong with eating meat, on her own.

no one  would want to be the reason someone strays from their faith,  try to be supportive and try everything you can do to help her keep hers, unless she strays from certain beliefs  on her own.

Remember, God doesn't care about the doings, God cares about your character. :)(who you are) If you go out of ur way to help your mother keep hers... That's something :)

longhorn

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 10:56:24 PM »

Serve her a hot dog..... read the package contents... ain't no meat in those things.

Longhorn

onelovedread

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 10:56:03 AM »

Methinks, Ray's teachings have caused you guys to become far too righteousness for your own good:) Furthermore, go to the scripture: "And if your right hand ( the hand you use to slam dunk) is snaring you, strike it off and cast it from you, for it is  expedient for you that one of your members should perish and not your whole body pass away into Gehenna." Selah!!!! ::)

judith collier

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 05:06:22 PM »

John, this is absolutely ridiculous! Fasting isn't required for the elderly or sick or very young in Catholicism. The whole idea of fasting for a Christian is the same as snapping a rubber-band  on your wrist, to bring your thoughts back to God. Besides it is good for a person to fast somewhat. This tradition is spreading, in fact, to other mainstream sects.
But the best thing about it is, FISH FRYS every Friday. Cheap and all you can eat great fish! Now there is where the fasting should begin because of all the grossly overweight Christians (Protestants come too) who so obviously overeat at these FRYS. By the way, the money goes toward the school.
My one daughter gives up her daily glass of wine during Lent. Now, when Easter comes around I don't know for sure if she is happy for being closer to God or getting to drink her wine again. I'll have to ask. It's my fault, I raised her that way. judy

Roy Coates

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 05:24:48 PM »

I thought the Pope approved meat on fridays ???
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 23 queries.