bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Judging ourselves  (Read 8025 times)

Myms

Judging ourselves
« on: March 04, 2011, 11:40:57 PM »

For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.(1 Cor. 11:31).

Over the past few months I have been giving this verse quite a bit of attention! My response goes something like this: I fall short of God’s will in some way, I feel convicted, I have a time of inner self reflection, I try and put things right (with God, with others), I look to see if I should make changes in my life to avoid it happening again.

I would be interested to know how others apply this verse practically / proactively in their own lives.

p.s. I wish judging myself was as easy as judging others  ;D

Myms

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: Judging ourselves
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 12:27:36 AM »

There are two powerful aspects of 'judgement' which I've learned here.

1.  It's 'educational' aspect.  "When THY judgements are in the earth, the whole world shall learn righteousness."  Not simply learn ABOUT Righteousness, but have Righteousness 'written in our hearts'.  Anytime we learn something true and apply it to our lives, we are 'judging ourselves.'.  So to learn, to contemplate and meditate on what Ive learned, and to obey what I learn--is part of judging myself.

2.  It does something--it has postive results.  Again, "When THY judgements are in the earth, the whole world shall learn righteousness." This seperates it from just beating up on ourselves or just being a theological hobbyist.  It changes life.  I've had my life changed so many times that I understand not every change is 180 degrees radical.  Most of the time, it's a nudge on the left urging us right, or a smack on the right urging us left.  You're not quite the same when you've honestly judged yourself with a Righteous judgement.

It's a thoughtful question.  Thanks for asking it.   
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Kat

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 02:06:02 AM »

Hi Myms,

Judging ourself most times seems to be is a process. As you were saying, "I fall short of God’s will in some way, I feel convicted." Yes, it's sort of like that for me. I become acutely aware of a sin, let's say it's getting angry in traffic. So at first I am convicted when I commit the sin and feel shame and hate that I gave in to anger about some traffic violation I felt towards myself. Everytime it happens I feel real bad when I lose my temper as soon as it happens. But then I begin to catch it sooner and notice I'm getting angry and try not to get so angry and tell myself I am not going to get angry like that anymore. So gradually over time the anger does get less and less, until I get to the point when someones driving bothers me, but I realize it's starting and catch it BEFORE I get angry. Then I work on just feeling less and less of the anger.

You know I realize this process is going on and I try to keep positive and say things like, 'hey they are just trying to get down the road too.' Or I will picture them as being someone I know and care about, like my sister or Dad. And over time I really don't feel the anger in traffic any more.

So that is one way I think judging ourself is worked out in me. I know God in His mercy only shows us our sins in increments, I'm very thankful for that.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Myms

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 05:24:32 AM »

I’d never considered the verse "When Thy judgements are in the earth, the whole world shall learn righteousness" to apply to me now! How absurd of me, and if you turn it on its head ….. and if you can ‘look over your shoulder’ and see lessons learned and a growth in righteousness then you can be confident that God’s judgements have indeed been at work in your life. How wonderfully encouraging – thank you Dave.

Hey Kat – imagining the person who is annoying you as being someone close to you – I love that! I shall definitely be adding that to my bag of assault tools!

'I know God in His mercy only shows us our sins in increments, I'm very thankful for that.' Ditto Kat!

Myms

G. Driggs

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 04:27:08 PM »

Not sure if this is relevant to the subject, but I realize sometimes when I'm tired I'm more prone to sin. It's like my shields go down or something. So now whenever I'm feeling tired, either physically or mentally, I try to be more aware and careful of where my thoughts might take me. I don't always succeed in curbing carnal desires, but at least God is making me a little more aware of when I'm vunrable.

G.Driggs

judith collier

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 04:35:24 PM »

G.Driggs, yes! Whenever we are lonely, tired, hungry or just out of sorts we have to be careful. Also predisposing oneself early in morning prayers helps. We set our mind securely!
judy

Duane

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 09:43:21 PM »

Do you recall that it was AFTER jesus went 40 days without food (at His physically weakest moment) that the Devil tempted Jesus
three times?  That was no accident.

Duane

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 03:15:48 PM »

Today I re-read my Post and it occured to me how judging one's self comes so hard and painful BUT praising one's self or seeking praise from others--HEY--NO PROBLEM!
God must just shake His head in disbelief at us "screw ups". 

Joel

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 10:33:08 PM »

I hope I am more like the second man here.

Luke 18:9-14
9- And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:

10- Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.

11- The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.

12- I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all I possess.

13- And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up as much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

14- I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Joel

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 12:40:25 PM »

Forgive, and ye shall be forgiven

As you judge others, so too are you judged.

Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

For as you think, suppose, assume or believe in your heart, so YOU are.

But I say unto you, Love your enemies. ...as a man thinketh, so is he.

Arc

daywalker

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 06:49:48 PM »

For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.(1 Cor. 11:31).

Over the past few months I have been giving this verse quite a bit of attention! My response goes something like this: I fall short of God’s will in some way, I feel convicted, I have a time of inner self reflection, I try and put things right (with God, with others), I look to see if I should make changes in my life to avoid it happening again.

I would be interested to know how others apply this verse practically / proactively in their own lives.

p.s. I wish judging myself was as easy as judging others  ;D

Myms

1 Cor 11:31-32 (CLV) For if we adjudicated ourselves, we would not be judged. Yet, being judged, we are being disciplined by the Lord, that we may not be condemned with the world.

To me the keys are in the words "IF" and "YET" (or "but" in most translations). IF we were to judge ourselves, then we wouldn't be judged by God. BUT since we don't judge ourselves, we are judged by God. In my experience, it isn't until God 'judges' me for some sin, that I then recognize it and do something about it (a.k.a. judge myself). Just like when a parent disciplines a child for something they did wrong. We all know children don't figure this stuff out on their own. It's always through their parents judgments that they learn to correct their mistakes (a.k.a. judge themselves).

Put simply, if we were capable of judging ourselves, then we wouldn't need God's Judgments.

Hope this helps.

Revilonivek

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 08:56:40 PM »

at times, I just wish the bible would be more clear and simple. no accents, no confusion, no Elizabethan language from the medieval age- just plainly as it is, in plain English.

daywalker explained it well,

for if we judge ourselves, why do we need God's discipline? We are being disciplined by the Lord for this reason so that we wouldn't be condemned with the rest of the world.  

Denise

Kat

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 10:51:39 PM »

Hi Denise,

at times, I just wish the bible would be more clear and simple. no accents, no confusion, no Elizabethan language from the medieval age- just plainly as it is, in plain English.

Ahh, but the Scriptures need to be the way they are. Just like Jesus spoke in parables, the Scriptures are a mystery to the church. But God gives His chosen the answers to the mysteries in the Scriptures, just like Daywalker explained that so well for you to understand  :)

Mat 13:10  And the disciples came and said to Him, "Why do You speak to them in parables?"
v. 11  He answered and said to them, "Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given.
v. 12  For whoever has, to him more will be given, and he will have abundance; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him.
v. 13  Therefore I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

rumpelstiltskin

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 11:07:45 PM »

Hi Abednego, I'm not Kat and I don't have a link, but I know that Ray discuses the topic you were asking about in his twelve truths paper, read truth number two.

Peace
If you want to know what God thinks of money,just look at the people he gave it to
Dorothy Parker

dave

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 01:38:32 AM »

I would just like to say thanks to the original poster Myms and to all the wonderful answers. Praise His Name, the post and answers each were a help to me.

Kat

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 12:15:47 PM »

Hi Abednego,

Mat 13:10  And the disciples came and said to Him, "Why do You speak to them in parables?"
v. 11  He answered and said to them, "Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given.
v. 12  For whoever has, to him more will be given, and he will have abundance; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him.
v. 13  Therefore I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand.

Concerning verse 12, it appears to me to just be repeating what Christ had already stated in verse 11. So look first at v. 12 "For whoever has," has what? Well look at verse 11, has "the mysteries of the kingdom," or this TRUTH. Back to verse 12 "to him more will be given, and he will have abundance;" a couple of Scriptures can help with this part.

Php 1:6  being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ;

2Co 9:8  And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work.

Here is the last part of verse 12, "but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him." On the day of judgment everyone will give account and if your understanding is not truth, but the herical teaching of the church, it will be burned out and "taken away." Here are a couple more verses to help with this part.

1Co 3:13  each one's work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one's work, of what sort it is.
1Co 3:15  If anyone's work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

Hope that is helpful.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 23 queries.