bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The "F" word  (Read 7082 times)

Duane

The "F" word
« on: March 14, 2011, 01:35:27 AM »

It seems that everywhere I go, I hear people of all ages, races and occupations using that dreaded "F" word, and even though it has long since lost it's original meaning, it still makes my skin crawl and blood pressure rise. 
Then it occured to me as to WHY I hear that hated word so much.
Just think a minute, the "F" word can be used as a:
noun, verb, adjective, pronoun, modifier. exclamation, wonderment, directive, action word and attention-getter.                             
Quite a "utility word"--huh?

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Re: The "F" word
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 08:32:23 AM »

I think it is a sign of low intelligence.

Craig

Rene

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 12:33:57 PM »

I feel you.  This is one of my least favorite words in the world.  Not that I have never used it, or thought it, I still dislike it. :o

René
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 03:41:16 PM by Rene »

daywalker

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 03:37:32 PM »

It seems that everywhere I go, I hear people of all ages, races and occupations using that dreaded "F" word, and even though it has long since lost it's original meaning, it still makes my skin crawl and blood pressure rise. 
Then it occured to me as to WHY I hear that hated word so much.
Just think a minute, the "F" word can be used as a:
noun, verb, adjective, pronoun, modifier. exclamation, wonderment, directive, action word and attention-getter.                             
Quite a "utility word"--huh?

You know, I read this interesting article about cussing not too long ago.

http://people.howstuffworks.com/swearing4.htm

It appears (though, to be fair, it's called a theory) that the act of swearing is caused by the lower part of the brain which also controls emotion and instinct. This makes sense to me; how many of us have been guilty of using some type of vulgar word when stubbing our toes or bumping our heads? I know I've been more than once  ;). This, in my opinion, would also explain why it's so difficult to get control of--at least, for those who struggle with it. Especially, when surrounded by other 'participants'. Just like our accents adapt to those around us over time, so also we tend to use the same words, figures of speech, etc. as those around us. If you hang out with a bunch of bad-mouthed teenagers all the time, you're likely to start using a few of those words yourself.

Astrapho

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 07:05:50 PM »

Aww man, I thought you guys meant Gordon Ramsay's "the F word" show, cuz I love it. D;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuyzcpF6gVk&feature=fvst

I must be desensitized to it. To me it's just another strong word joining the crowd. Not that I use it often, but I don't dislike it either... I quite like it precisely because it's such a "utility-word". It can f'ing be inserted f'ing everywhere and it f'ing somehow just makes f'ing sense. ;D

SDDiver

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 07:59:33 PM »

I wonder if this is the only "christian" forum whose members so freely admit to cussing.

I swear in German. This way neither God nor my wife understand what I'm saying.

barrabus

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 02:58:17 PM »

I don't think it offends God or anything... I try not to use the word out of politeness to others so as not to offend them.. but sometimes the "F" word is the only word that expresses my true feelings... like when that guy hit my hand with a sledgehammer last month and broke two of my fingers... I wasn't very polite... and when you use the word.. other people know what you mean... kind of an all purpose word... but it does offend people so I try not to use it...

daywalker

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 05:34:20 PM »

I wonder if this is the only "christian" forum whose members so freely admit to cussing.

I swear in German. This way neither God nor my wife understand what I'm saying.

ROFL. I didn't know God didn't know German. That explains a lot...  :D ;D

Linny

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 08:53:34 PM »

I cursed a lot before I started my journey with God. I never did it in a public place or in front of children or someone I didn't know. I have always found that to be very rude. I also never used any of the ones that use God or Jesus in them.
I quit quite easily about 20 yrs ago. I have to admit that recently, a few of the milder ones have slipped back into my vocab (only with hubbie) with my new found freedom.  ::)
But I have a 10 and 13 yr old who neither one even know what the "f" word is. The only curse words they know are hell and damn. Thanks Granddaddy. Oh, and when I sprained my ankle I slipped and taught the oldest one sh%#. I grew up hearing that one.  :D

I am with Craig on this one. I think we should express ourselves with less colorful language. It isn't a proud cultural tradition in our country.

onelovedread

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 09:37:17 AM »

I have to confess the most challenging situation is when I am driving. I may not use the "F" word but my language can get very colorful when another driver cuts me off or does something I think is bone-headed. I really need to repent or perhaps, stop driving ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 23 queries.