bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: While Watching the Yankee Game...  (Read 4384 times)

spiritman

While Watching the Yankee Game...
« on: March 31, 2011, 11:10:09 PM »

I am watching the Yankees opener that I recorded earlier today, when I just realized...no matter what "mojo" I use, no matter how much I yell, throw my hands up in the air, the game ended a few hours ago.  The outcome has already been decided.  This reminded me of how much I used to think that I could (and often thought I did) change God's mind because of my desires. Freewill is rather childish once you grasp the truth.

p.s. Please don't tell me the final score, it is only the 3rd inning  :D

Matt

G. Driggs

Re: While Watching the Yankee Game...
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 02:39:06 AM »

Your Yankee game makes for an interesting analogy. Say God is your dvr with perfect foreknowledge of which resurrection we are raised to. What does it mean to you if God were to let you know who wins or loses? I ask because im not totally sure what it would mean to me. Would i just give up, or become complacent? Would i quit praying for help (mojo) and quit talking with God?

I understand all will be saved eventually, but we are not there yet which is why i think i need to pray and beg God for help all the more because i simply dont know but with high hopes.

Hope this is not too heavy for the off topics just for fun light hearted banter section. I just thought you made a nice anaology which raised some questions for me.

Who you rootin for? Ive always liked the yankees, i hope they won. ;)

G.Driggs
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 02:45:00 AM by G. Driggs »

Samson

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 11:00:48 AM »

I am watching the Yankees opener that I recorded earlier today, when I just realized...no matter what "mojo" I use, no matter how much I yell, throw my hands up in the air, the game ended a few hours ago.  The outcome has already been decided.  This reminded me of how much I used to think that I could (and often thought I did) change God's mind because of my desires. Freewill is rather childish once you grasp the truth.

Matt

It is ridiculous, when You really think about. No, I'm not referring to "Free Will," I already know that's ridiculous,  ;). The hooting & hollering for the sake of "Our Team," I do the same thing when watching the N.Y. Knicks & The Mets, especially the Knicks. When you give up 68 points in the first half to the New Jersey Nets, you definitely have major defensive issues. I don't think my ranting & raving while watching this game was a CAUSE towards the Knicks eventually coming back & defeating the Nets.

I should have told Coach Avery Johnson of the Nets after the Knicks comeback Win against them: " Now, Free Will Yourself out of that One."  ;D.

Keep Um a Coming, Samson.

daywalker

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 01:59:23 PM »

Matt

It is ridiculous, when You really think about. No, I'm not referring to "Free Will," I already know that's ridiculous,  ;). The hooting & hollering for the sake of "Our Team," I do the same thing when watching the N.Y. Knicks & The Mets, especially the Knicks. When you give up 68 points in the first half to the New Jersey Nets, you definitely have major defensive issues. I don't think my ranting & raving while watching this game was a CAUSE towards the Knicks eventually coming back & defeating the Nets.

I should have told Coach Avery Johnson of the Nets after the Knicks comeback Win against them: " Now, Free Will Yourself out of that One."  ;D.

Keep Um a Coming, Samson.

I'll have to respectively disagree. I "coach" my teams (Angels, Ducks, Packers) through my satellite t.v. and I know they can hear me, even if the game ended 4 hours prior and I'm watching it via my DVR... I yell at them and tell them to step it up and they always respond positively,... most of the time..... ok, sometimes. LOL  ;) :) :D

Daywalker  8)

Stacey

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 09:32:38 PM »

As ridiculous as it may be, its good to sit back and enjoy a game, hoot and holler, and stir the mojo bucket, especially if it helps your team whether they know it or not. Solomon thought it was a good thing to enjoy the fruits of our labors, isn't that what we are doing when we take in a game? I think so.  

. Freewill is rather childish once you grasp the truth.

Free anything is a hoax, nothing is free. You are right, we can't change a thing no matter how much we want to. The outcome has already been determined for us. The only thing left is to live it out and in that respect we have no clue what our days will bring or using your analogy of the recorded Yankee game, we have no idea what has been recorded for us to live out and so rooting for "our team" sure helps lift the spirit no matter what we believe concerning free will or not. I like what Solomon said in the following verses, especially when life gets a little heavy.

Ecc 3:13  And also that every man should eat and drink, and enjoy the good of all his labour, it is the gift of God.

Ecc 2:24  There is nothing better for a man, than that he should eat and drink, and that he should make his soul enjoy good in his labour. This also I saw, that it was from the hand of God.

Ecc 5:18  Behold that which I have seen: it is good and comely for one to eat and to drink, and to enjoy the good of all his labour that he taketh under the sun all the days of his life, which God giveth him: for it is his portion.

Ecc 8:15  Then I commended mirth, because a man hath no better thing under the sun, than to eat, and to drink, and to be merry: for that shall abide with him of his labour the days of his life, which God giveth him under the sun.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 11:28:04 PM by Stacey »
Stacey
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.