bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: study advice please,perplexed newbie needs advice  (Read 5753 times)

david1611kjv

study advice please,perplexed newbie needs advice
« on: April 17, 2011, 06:59:42 PM »

i am quite new to the scriptures and need a little guidance as i dont know where to start.I am just wondering what you guys do when studying, do you have a method, do you use multiple translations(if so whats best), do you read the scriptures from cover to cover Genesis to Revelation?
I was thinking about just reading my kjv from start to finish to get a basic outline of things as a whole then getting into comparing scripture with scripture this way.its all very perplexing to begin with but its all i can think about these days, its like i cant wait to retire just so i can study more and im only 28.lol....
any advice would be helpful.....
thanxabunch peeps

david1611kjv

Re: study advice please,perplexed newbie needs advice
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 07:57:41 PM »

thanks Grace but i have already read this paper, i am more interested in how to really digest the bible and want to know what is the best method and whether reading from start to finish is important etc.....
thatnks for your comment:P

mharrell08

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 08:09:21 PM »

I was thinking about just reading my kjv from start to finish to get a basic outline of things as a whole then getting into comparing scripture with scripture this way.

I actually think this is a great idea David. Ray recommended a NKJV with the middle column reference in one of his studies. I use that one and is great for just a general idea of what is going on. Also, Bible Gateway has other versions online including the Contemporary English version, which is also great for getting a general understanding.

Marques

Gabriel

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 09:14:59 PM »

e-Sword is a necessity for me  :) I also like to take this approach - read an old testament book and then a new testament book atleast once a day. I've always felt that, I couldn't understand the new testament without the old  :)

http://www.e-sword.net/

God be with you Brother

Gabriel

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 10:08:09 PM »

I can't say this method led me in a straight line to Truth, but I found some value in just sitting down and reading cover to cover.  Don't try to answer deep theological questions, just to get an overview of what's in there.  Depending on how fast you read, it doesn't take all THAT long to get through the Old Testament--especially if you skim some of the more 'detail-oriented'  portions. 

The first time I read through the New Testament was over a three day weekend.  I made a point to mark passages that either touched me in some deep way, or that I had never heard a sermon on.  There were a LOT of passages marked by the time I got through Romans.   ;D  I think I was 16 at the time.  I'm almost 40 years older than that now, but I still remember the astonishment I felt in encountering some truths the first time at such an "advanced" age.   ;D
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Joel

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 12:01:01 AM »

I started reading the KJV back in 1973, and when my wife gave me one of The Way (Living Bible) that had just came out, I counted it a blessing from God.
I loved reading it, as it is in modern English. I read it from Genesis to Revelations.
Over the years I have read the Amplified, and the KJV, cover to cover, the KJV more times than any.
I like the style of the KJV most of all, but to each his own. :)

I have never done so, but I know a lady that said the KJV was to hard to understand, and she being new to the Faith also, read the Living Bible using a chronological order help sheet, And did so in about a year.

You may want to check out some on line sites that can help you do this, such as www.bibleplan.org/ch/niv

Joel
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 02:37:03 AM by Joel »

cjwood

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 02:09:15 AM »

I started reading the KJV back in 1973, and when my wife gave me one of The Way (Living Bible) that had just came out, I counted it a blessing from God.
I loved reading it, as it is in modern English. I read it from Genesis to Revelations.
year.

@joel:  i have this very same bible translation still today.   :)  my mom and dad gave it to me dec. 1972.   8)  i too found it very easy to read through.

@david:  you have received some very good ideas on reading the Scriptures. 

@abednego:  i like the esword idea.  my problem is, i have a little older version macbook and always seem to run into some snag trying to load it.  i used to have it though on my older laptop and truely miss it. 

claudia
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 02:15:12 AM by cjwood »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 23 queries.