bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Last Supper article  (Read 5748 times)

mharrell08

Last Supper article
« on: April 18, 2011, 04:25:07 PM »

FYI: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110418/wl_uk_afp/britainreligionchristianseaster

Taking into account the scriptures, especially Jesus saying He would be in the 'heart of the earth' for 3 days, does anything about this article correlate? I haven't had the time to look any further into this.

dave

Re: Last Supper article
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 05:15:47 PM »

Doesnt Ray have paper on 3 days in the earth?

mharrell08

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 06:02:42 PM »

Yes, but that's not exactly related. Ray's email response more so explained what Jesus meant by 'heart of the earth'.

I think I see where this scientist may be mistaken, let me know what you all think:

Excerpt from article: "While Matthew, Mark and Luke all say the Last Supper coincided with the start of the Jewish festival of Passover, John claims it took place before Passover."

I just looked through these four books and do not see where this assertion is made. Does anyone know what this writer is referring to?

believerchrist100

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 06:27:55 PM »

Yes, but that's not exactly related. Ray's email response more so explained what Jesus meant by 'heart of the earth'.

I think I see where this scientist may be mistaken, let me know what you all think:

Excerpt from article: "While Matthew, Mark and Luke all say the Last Supper coincided with the start of the Jewish festival of Passover, John claims it took place before Passover."

I just looked through these four books and do not see where this assertion is made. Does anyone know what this writer is referring to?

Hi Marques,

Here are the four  gospel accounts and I found the references he may be talking about. The Feast of the Unleavened Bread refers to Passover as Luke 22:1 states. I won't say whether I think he's mistaken or not, but here are the references to what I think he's trying to point to.

"Now on the first day of the Feast of the Unleavened Bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying to Him, “Where do You want us to prepare for You to eat the Passover?" (Matthew 26:17)

"After two days it was the Passover and the Feast of Unleavened Bread." (Mark 14:1)

"Now the Feast of Unleavened Bread drew near, which is called Passover. Then came the Day of Unleavened Bread, when the Passover must be killed. 8 And He sent Peter and John, saying, “Go and prepare the Passover for us, that we may eat.” (Luke 22:1;7-8)

"Now before the Feast of the Passover, when Jesus knew that His hour had come that He should depart from this world to the Father, having loved His own who were in the world, He loved them to the end." (John 13:1)

Hope this helps.

Patrick

JohnMichael

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 07:07:51 PM »

John 13:1 NowG1161 beforeG4253 theG3588 feastG1859 of theG3588 passover,G3957

G4253
πρό
pro
pro
A primary preposition; “fore”, that is, in front of, prior (figuratively superior) to.

It's saying that prior to eating the feast. They assume that it meant days before. All it says is "Now BEFORE THE FEAST of the Passover..." As Ray says, pay attention to the words. :) There's no contradiction.

Note: I saw this article as a deliberate attempt to discredit Scripture.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 07:14:32 PM by JohnMichael »

mharrell08

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 09:35:08 PM »

Great job JohnMichael...that's exactly what I was looking for!  :)

And to be fair, the writer is actually trying to prove the scriptures do not contradict. But the initial contradiction is only in his understanding, so that makes the whole study mute. Thanks to everyone for all their help.

Marques

JohnMichael

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 04:07:46 PM »

And to be fair, the writer is actually trying to prove the scriptures do not contradict. But the initial contradiction is only in his understanding, so that makes the whole study mute. Thanks to everyone for all their help.

Marques

Edited for clarification:

I was referring to the nonsense of John being on "a different calendar." Matthew, Mark, and John were all Jews. The only one who is speculated to have not been a Jew is Luke (and Ray even says he was most likely a Gentile). This guy's hogwash claim that John was using a different calendar is just that - hogwash. To me, it just rang of trying to make an "epistle of straw" out of John.

Sort of as if, "Oh, John tried his best, but he was off. Don't blame him guys because he was on a different calendar, so it's not his fault. Pat him on the head, he tried." - Disgusting.

I am not trying to disparage or "strawman" Luke either. I'm merely using him as an example that even though he was probably a gentile, he even still knew precisely when the Passover was. How much more ridiculous would it be to insinuate that a Jew didn't know?

I get this feeling that this man is a wolf in sheep's clothing. He appears to be doing a "good" thing by trying to prove that the Scriptures don't contradict with the right hand, but his left is creating doubt in regards to John's writings. I wouldn't surprised if this so-called "research" is used in the future to try to create doubt in the books John wrote.

I could be wrong on this, and if I am, God will correct me. I just can't shake the feeling that this is laying the foundation for a domino effect.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 06:19:10 PM by JohnMichael »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.