bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soul  (Read 4822 times)

dave

Soul
« on: April 23, 2011, 08:11:43 PM »

Ive being told that God has a soul and that His soul is Jesus. I cant find in the Bible that God has a soul.
I realize that the word soul in Gen.2:7 says man became a living soul and that when we get to the NT the word soul is understood differently.
In the NT soul is understood to mean inner self, ego, mind, heart, desires, and appities of mankind is that not correct?

I perhaps am a stick in the mud, but as a better word for soul in the NT the word "sentient." (used inThe Christian Bible NTonly) would work better instead of soul, I find it helps to better understand, since man IS a living SOUL, rather than man has a soul and that man was given a soul.
 Ecc 12:7  And the dust return to the earth, as it was,—and, the spirit, return unto God, who gave it.

When I read the above I understand the "dust" to be "a living soul" and the spirit is the "breath of life."
I do not reason that the "breath of life" and "the spirit," of Ecc. 12:7.. is THE SPIRIT of Gen.1:2
For God is the Father of "spirits." (Heb. 12:9)  God IS Spirit.
I understand soul to be, life or breathing.  It seems to me that when we read through the Bible there is a loss of what man is, as we read into the NT and rather than being "souls" it is our soul that needs the change.
So perhaps my question is there anything to "soul sleep?" or that the soul goes to a heaven or a place called paridise? I do not not believe this, but Rev.6:9 causes me to wonder...
Rev 6:9  And when he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those slain because of the word of God, and because of the testimony that they held,

There is more to learn certainly, and I am open for reproof and instuction.  Ive read all of Rays work and have studied a good amount of it any help along the way would be good. Thank you

Revilonivek

Re: Soul
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 09:41:38 PM »

Ive being told that God has a soul and that His soul is Jesus. I cant find in the Bible that God has a soul.
I realize that the word soul in Gen.2:7 says man became a living soul and that when we get to the NT the word soul is understood differently.
In the NT soul is understood to mean inner self, ego, mind, heart, desires, and appities of mankind is that not correct?

I perhaps am a stick in the mud, but as a better word for soul in the NT the word "sentient." (used inThe Christian Bible NTonly) would work better instead of soul, I find it helps to better understand, since man IS a living SOUL, rather than man has a soul and that man was given a soul.
 Ecc 12:7  And the dust return to the earth, as it was,—and, the spirit, return unto God, who gave it.

When I read the above I understand the "dust" to be "a living soul" and the spirit is the "breath of life."
I do not reason that the "breath of life" and "the spirit," of Ecc. 12:7.. is THE SPIRIT of Gen.1:2
For God is the Father of "spirits." (Heb. 12:9)  God IS Spirit.
I understand soul to be, life or breathing.  It seems to me that when we read through the Bible there is a loss of what man is, as we read into the NT and rather than being "souls" it is our soul that needs the change.
So perhaps my question is there anything to "soul sleep?" or that the soul goes to a heaven or a place called paridise? I do not not believe this, but Rev.6:9 causes me to wonder...
Rev 6:9  And when he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those slain because of the word of God, and because of the testimony that they held,

There is more to learn certainly, and I am open for reproof and instuction.  Ive read all of Rays work and have studied a good amount of it any help along the way would be good. Thank you

That's a good question,

Spirit may mean both body and soul as one? or is it simply your spiritual identity or life force?

You be the Judge,  There are alot more but I didn't want to post it all here, you can look it up thru e-sword for more.

Genesis 12:5 (King James Version)

5And Abram took Sarai his wife, and Lot his brother's son, and all their substance that they had gathered, and the souls that they had gotten in Haran; and they went forth to go into the land of Canaan; and into the land of Canaan they came.1 Thessalonians 5:23
May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Leviticus 18:29 (King James Version)

29For whosoever shall commit any of these abominations, even the souls that commit them shall be cut off from among their people.

Joshua 10:35 (King James Version)

35And they took it on that day, and smote it with the edge of the sword, and all the souls that were therein he utterly destroyed that day, according to all that he had done to Lachish.

Acts 2:41 (King James Version)

41Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

1 Peter 2:25 (King James Version)

25For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

Now.. The bible, both old  new testament states God does have a soul...I am sure there are many more.

Job 23:13. Job spake concerning the Lord God: "He is in one mind, and who can turn Him? and what His soul desires, even that He does."

Psalms 11:5. "The LORD tries the righteous: but the wicked and him that loves violence His soul hates."

Soul (Hebrew: nephesh): "soul, self, life, creature, person, appetite, mind, living being, desire, emotion, passion."Leviticus 26:11

And I will set my tabernacle among you: and my soul shall not abhor you.

Leviticus 26:30
 And I will destroy your high places, and cut down your images, and cast your carcases upon the carcases of your idols, and my soul shall abhor you.

Isaiah 42:1
 Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.

Who is talking here through Isaiah?

Mat 12:18 Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles.

Hebrews 10:38
 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.

In these above scriptures, we can see that the soul of God  abhors, loathes, and takes no pleasure in certain things. On the other hand, God's soul can delight and be well pleased. All of these are responses to certain people or actions.

We know that  we are in the process of being created in his image, We are the imperfect version of the Perfect God. I know we can't compare ourselves with God, because GOD is much greater.

So in reference to the scriptures about souls, maybe this means God has an identity. A pure state soul- while ours are in imperfect state. I think it seems to refer to the  identity of someone.  maybe?

I would gladly investigate the apocrypha books for more answers if you wish?

dave

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 11:18:37 PM »

Thank you for the scriptures
Job 23:13. Job spake concerning the Lord God: "He is in one mind, and who can turn Him? and what His soul desires, even that He does."
Psalms 11:5. "The LORD tries the righteous: but the wicked and him that loves violence His soul hates."
Isaiah 42:1 Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.
Mat 12:18 Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles.

My point was that the deffinition of what a soul is, given in Gen. 2:7 a living "nephesh" is a breathing creature ( H5315) but you give me the deffinition of  "soul, self, life, creature, person, appetite, mind, living being, desire, emotion, passion." as we have grown to understand its meaning in the NT.
But I thank you for Job 23:13, Psalm 11:5, Isa. 42:1, and Matt.12:18
There is much to study. :)

dave

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 02:48:29 AM »

So then you cannot help me in this quest. I dont mean to be insubordinate I sought that particular FQA and well since I aint real smart, I could not find it. Still have you yourself no thoughts?
Im not interested really in the apocrypha books. I have read Rays work and I understand him to say that the soul, of its self is not.

dave

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 03:45:43 AM »

Thank you. I have a printed copy of the yellow, green and blue cellefane as well as the TV.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.