bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: spiritual authority- bible study  (Read 5432 times)

Revilonivek

spiritual authority- bible study
« on: May 01, 2011, 02:12:55 PM »

Bible reading-

I think I finally understood what he meant when he said this:

Jesus said, Whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be My disciple
(Luke 14:33).

It sounded crazy to me.. forsake money to survive, for example, food, drink, family needs to eat, etc.. but now I think I get it..  I think he meant to say... we are to forsake all other doctrines that we have... and If we don't, we can't be a true follower of Jesus.

what are your thoughts?

Here's another... I detect sarcasm in Jesus' voice when he said this.. this is definitely how Jesus talks.. much wisdom in his voice. HE sounded frustrated that people abuse their spiritual authority.

it's about people who abuse spiritual authority in the churches complaining who's the greatest. We know that in churches, People end up serving the minister, when its supposed to be the minister serving the people..the word minister is translated DIAKONOS, meaning an attendant, a waiter. Jesus said ministers are to be like servants, waiter, attendant to the people. it means minister is to meet the people's welfare and needs like a servant does when they work for a family.  its a huge responsibility. But instead, they serve their minister(servant,waiter, attendant)

Matt.20:25   ... Jesus...said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them.
26.But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever shall be great among you, LET HIM BE your minister;
27.And whosoever will be chief among you, LET HIM BE your servant:
28.Even as the Son of man came NOT to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give His life a ransom for many.

Here's another

Luke 16:15 (King James Version)

15And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.

Luke 22:22-27
in the next scripture below, you'll see how He explains how govterment works, and said we should not function like they do, and show how we are to function. 

24And there was also a strife among them, which of them should be accounted the greatest.

25And he said unto them, The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and they that exercise authority upon them are called benefactors.

26But ye shall not be so: but he that is greatest among you, let him be as the younger; and he that is chief, as he that doth serve.

27For whether is greater, he that sitteth at meat, or he that serveth? is not he that sitteth at meat? but I am among you as he that serveth.

What are your thoughts..

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: spiritual authority- bible study
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 02:25:11 PM »

Darkness has no fellowship with light in practice, nor in our hearts.  What is BAD has to go, and what is GOOD has to come in.  If that's doctrine, so be it.  If it's some other idol of the heart, so be it.  We are to be YOKED TOGETHER with Him.  If we're not?  We shouldn't expect rest to our souls.  When your yoke-mate is Sovereign God, it takes a long time to get under that yoke and pulling in the same direction with the same purpose.  In the meantime He is very patient and meek with us, considering His awesome power.  
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 02:28:37 PM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

JohnMichael

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 02:57:58 PM »

To me (and God will correct me in His time if I'm wrong), Luke 14:33 ties in with

Luk 10:27  And he answering said, `Thou shalt love the Lord thy God out of all thy heart, and out of all thy soul, and out of all thy strength, and out of all thy understanding, and thy neighbour as thyself.'
Luk 10:28  And he said to him, `Rightly thou didst answer; this do, and thou shalt live.'

If one has been given the desire to love God with all heart/soul/strength/mind, then one is willing to forsake (give up) all earthly things for Him.

Luk 12:31  But make His Kingdom the object of your pursuit, and these things shall be given you in addition.
Mat 6:33  But make His Kingdom and righteousness your chief aim, and then these things shall all be given you in addition.

From the gift of His Love, we become yoked with Him, and everything else falls into place from that. There was an old song that used to say, "I'm just a pilgrim passing through for this world is not my home." It's in the attitude. God gives His elect the attitude that all is nothing compared to Him. To be with Him is their first desire - everything else of this world is as fleeting wisps of smoke to them.

Hope that helps. :)

John

Kat

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 03:49:23 PM »

Jesus said, Whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be My disciple

Earlier in this chapter Jesus Christ states;

Luke 18:29  And He said to them, Truly I say to you, There is no one who has left house, or parents, or brothers, or wife, or children for the sake of the kingdom of God,

So it is more than just putting out all of the doctrines of man. We can not put ANYTHING before serving Jesus Christ. I remember when I was in church they would say this means you have to go into the missionary field and literally leave your family. That is not the way I see it.

In our lives obeying God must take precedence over everything else. I do not believe that means we have to literally leave these things. In another Scripture Jesus says;

Luke 14:26  "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.

So is Jesus actually telling us to "hate" our family? Of course not, it is a camparison, the absolute to the relative. We have to put God so far ahead of everything and everyone that God comes absolutely first above all else. This is what Paul speaks of.

Php 3:7  But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ.
v. 8  Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ,

So it all comes down to this;

1John 2:15  Do not love the world, nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him,

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Marky Mark

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 05:53:55 PM »

Bible reading-

I think I finally understood what he meant when he said this:

It sounded crazy to me.. forsake money to survive, for example, food, drink, family needs to eat, etc.. but now I think I get it..  I think he meant to say... we are to forsake all other doctrines that we have... and If we don't, we can't be a true follower of Jesus.

what are your thoughts?

Yes Denise,that is what that verse is saying.When we read Scripture with fleshy ears and not with Spiritual ones,we then can lose site of the meaning of His words. Therefore, Spiritual understanding of the Word is life giving.

Mat 13:9 Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Joh 6:63  The spirit is the life giver; the flesh is of no value: the words which I have said to you are spirit and they are life.

When The Lord causes us to no longer receive the spirit of the world in our mind and heart we then receive what God intends for us to see, that being,judging the things of the spirit by the help of the Spirit.

1Co 2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
1Co 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

The unapproved mind of the flesh is dead to Christ's words.

1Co 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

The world can only see things at face value where as we see things that are eternal.

2Co 4:18  While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen [are] temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

To know Gods treasured Spirit is indeed a Truth that will set you free.

Mat 6:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Joh 8:31  Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
Joh 8:32  And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

Peace...Mark

Revilonivek

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 06:16:13 PM »

Earlier in this chapter Jesus Christ states;

Luke 18:29  And He said to them, Truly I say to you, There is no one who has left house, or parents, or brothers, or wife, or children for the sake of the kingdom of God,

So it is more than just putting out all of the doctrines of man. We can not put ANYTHING before serving Jesus Christ. I remember when I was in church they would say this means you have to go into the missionary field and literally leave your family. That is not the way I see it.

In our lives obeying God must take precedence over everything else. I do not believe that means we have to literally leave these things. In another Scripture Jesus says;

Luke 14:26  "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.

So is Jesus actually telling us to "hate" our family? Of course not, it is a camparison, the absolute to the relative. We have to put God so far ahead of everything and everyone that God comes absolutely first above all else. This is what Paul speaks of.

Php 3:7  But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ.
v. 8  Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ,

So it all comes down to this;

1John 2:15  Do not love the world, nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him,

mercy, peace and love

Hi Kat,

Excellent scriptures...Yes- I think the word for miseo for hate in Luke 14:26 is better defined as love less. It would make alot more sense, if love less is used instead of hate itself.  Because in all his scriptures, he tells us to love our enemies and so on.. so hating our parents and family doesn't make sense.. so I think what he meant is that we are to love God more than anyone else in our lives. Its all about priorities. right?

Thoughts?

Denise

Kat

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 09:11:05 PM »

Hi Denise,

Oh yes our priorities take a major shift and are being totally turned around and rearranged. He is teaching us and guiding us by the Holy Spirit to obey.

Php 3:13  Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead,
v. 14  I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.