bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Friday the 13th  (Read 5541 times)

rumpelstiltskin

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Friday the 13th
« on: May 12, 2011, 03:33:30 AM »

There were probably hundreds of articles on this and were extremely lengthy, here's one a bit shorter. Don’t know if it's true or not but when you think about it, it's pagan and doesn’t really matter, interesting though. It came from a website called Town Time written by Steven Wilcox. This is only a few paragraphs, that way some may have the time to read it. (if you can bare it!);

Not only is it a very old superstition, but experts say that Friday the 13th as a day of bad luck is the most widespread superstition in the United States. Because this Friday happens to be the 13th, you can expect less people will get out of bed and follow their normal routines- seriously. In fact, it’s not just those with paraskevidekatriaphobia who suffer, Friday the 13th means bad news for the economy. A report from National Geographic News estimated that $800 to $900 million is lost in business on this day, as people avoid flying, driving, eating in restaurants, going to work and even getting married.
But despite all of the hoopla, there is no written evidence for Friday the 13th, folklorists say, but several theories have been proposed about the origin of the superstition. One theory says that it is a modern combination of two older superstitions: that 13 is an unlucky number and that Friday is an unlucky day. Well, if you’re inclined to be a worrier or pessimist, there are probably countless testimonies to this claim, but here are some that have passed through history.

Some say the reputation of the number 13 goes back to ancient Norse culture and mythology when the beloved hero Balder was killed at a banquet by the god Loki, who crashed the party of 12, bringing the group to 13. Along with the Last Supper, this story led to one of the most deeply-rooted 13-related beliefs that you should never sit down to a meal in a group of 13, or one will die within the year.
Other traditions say that on Friday the 13th in 1306, King Philip of France arrested the reverend Nights Templar and tortured them, making the occasion as a day of evil, but this claim is said to be a modern-day invention. In British tradition, Friday was the day for public hangings and there were supposedly 13 steps leading up to the noose. Even Chaucer referred to Friday as a day of bad luck in the Canterbury Tales, which was during the medieval times of the 14th century.

Just another day as far as I'm concerned, no different to any other.
If you want to know what God thinks of money,just look at the people he gave it to
Dorothy Parker

Stacey

Re: Friday the 13th
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 12:13:54 PM »

The flip side of the bad luck/unlucky number 13.

Taylor Swift on the number 13

Not only is it the day she was born on in December 1989, but over the years it has become so much more. "I was born on the 13th. I turned 13 on Friday the 13th. My first album went gold in 13 weeks. My first #1 song had a 13-second intro," she said. "Every time I've won an award I've been seated in either the 13th seat, the 13th row, the 13th section or row M, which is the 13th letter.

Some may chalk all of that up to coincidence, but Swift assures everyone that the number can only mean something fantastic will happen in her life. "Basically whenever a 13 comes up in my life, it's a good thing." "

I suppose one persons poison can be another persons passion. Just depends on the perspective I reckon but to me, like you, its just another day.
Stacey

rumpelstiltskin

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 08:10:23 PM »

Yeah, well said Stacey
Sometimes I notice that God still hasn't quite removed that particular bit of carnality from me quite yet though. What I mean by that is if you go to a restaurant and the waiter shows you two identical tables, one marked 13 the other 14. Table 14 thankyou waiter? ;D   ridiculous

Peace
If you want to know what God thinks of money,just look at the people he gave it to
Dorothy Parker

JohnMichael

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 11:53:28 PM »

Superstitions always made me laugh! Of course, those that had them used to hate me. I'd purposely do what you weren't supposed to.

I'd split the pole when walking with someone.
I'd wash clothes on New Year's Eve.
I'd walk in front of a black cat.
I'd sit in the 13th spot.
I'd walk under a ladder.
I'd open the umbrella inside the house and walk around with it.
Etc.

The reaction that people would have was always priceless. Looking back, I probably shouldn't have done that, but it was so fun at the time. :D

John

rumpelstiltskin

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 12:17:56 AM »

Same here John
Sometimes I deliberately choose the number 13 just to spite the stupid superstition :)

I read your posts JohnMichael you seem to be a very educated person, all your posts seem to very well, I think the word is "punctuated" or written. What a wonderful skill God has given you  :)    I dig fence post holes ;D
Dorothy Parker

JohnMichael

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 02:09:48 AM »

Same here John
Sometimes I deliberately choose the number 13 just to spite the stupid superstition :)

I read your posts JohnMichael you seem to be a very educated person, all your posts seem to very well, I think the word is "punctuated" or written. What a wonderful skill God has given you  :)    I dig fence post holes ;D

Thank you, but I'm no better than anyone else. I see others here as my betters, in fact.

God did give me a gift of writing, and I've only recently started using it to give praise where it's due - to Him. I wish I would have been doing that earlier, but all happens in His timing, right?

:)
John

Vangie

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 11:06:47 AM »

I used to jump up and down on the cracks in the sidewalk--my mother's back didn't break though... ;D ;) :D

crazy4bam

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 01:14:16 PM »

Here is some of old Celt tales my great.great grandmother told me:

1) DON'T STIR ANYONES COFFEE IT WILL STIR UP COFFEE...
2) SCRATCH YOUR MONEY HAND TOWARDS YOU AND YOU WON'T LOOSE MONEY
3) DON'T GO OUT AFTER DARK ON OLE HALLOWS EVE, OR THE EVIL SPIRITS WOULD GETCHA YEA
4) LIGHT A WHITE CANDLE ON OLE HALLOWS EVE SO YOUR DEAD RELATIVES CAN FIND THEIR WAY HOME
5) IF YOUR FRONT DOOR FACES YOUR BACK DOOR WITH A CLEAR VIEW, PLACE A CROSS ABOVE BOTH DOORS SO THE EVIL SPIRITS DON'T GET TRAPPED INSIDE.

These are only a few I can remember she told me. Granny Mae was around 93 or 95 when she told me these tales. I was about 7  and she really insisted to me to remember them. She died shortly after but I remembered alot of things she taught me. What is really funny is the only coffee i stir is my husband's, if my money hand itches I scratch it towards me. Its funny and untrue but some things just make you wanna go UHHHHH!!!

daywalker

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 02:31:03 PM »

I got a $2.00 raise on this last Friday the 13th, so I can't complain  :D ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 19 queries.