bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Childhood Troubles  (Read 4787 times)

JohnMichael

Childhood Troubles
« on: May 12, 2011, 11:46:13 PM »

I wonder if anyone else here had this experience. :)

When I was growing up, I couldn't get away with squat. My mother always knew exactly what I had done, and she was waiting on me when I would get home from school. There were even times when I knew there was no humanly possible way she could have known because no one had seen me, there were no witnesses, etc. However, she always knew.

In joking as I got older, I would say that the Lord always told on me in those times. I was speaking in ignorance, but looking back, I wonder sometimes if what I said in ignorance was indeed true. My mom would even tell me that there were times that she'd "just have this feeling." I used to hate it. I did!

Looking back now, however, I'm thankful for it. If He was indeed "telling on me," I see it as an example of His Love and Mercy - even if I didn't see it that way when it was happening.

Has anyone else had that experience?

Grace

Re: Childhood Troubles
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 12:34:58 AM »

JohnMichael,

I got caught for every single thing I did my entire life.  I don't think there was anything I got away with.  I, like you, am glad that I didn't too.  In my experience with my own son, it's amazing how God will have me appear at just the right time and catch him doing something he shouldn't be doing.  I won't have the slightest inkling that is what is happening either.  Now, he gets really paranoid around me because of this.  It's not that I have planned anything.  I keep telling him that.  In fact, sometimes there are things I wish I didn't know but, God has a purpose for everything.  Coincidence?  I think not.  I've even been accused of having "eyes in the back of my head". ;D

Grace

indianabob

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 12:14:04 PM »

John,

I've had similar experiences to yours and that of Grace.
The question that follows for me is, has this been the experience of most parents and/or children or is it mainly the experience of those that God is calling into His service?
Looking back I can see many developments in my life that have led me to the understanding I now have. So it begins to make sense that God had selected for enlightenment certain individuals very early on and even perhaps before they were born.

Just wondering, Indiana Bob

Grace

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 12:34:55 PM »

John,

I've had similar experiences to yours and that of Grace.
The question that follows for me is, has this been the experience of most parents and/or children or is it mainly the experience of those that God is calling into His service?
Looking back I can see many developments in my life that have led me to the understanding I now have. So it begins to make sense that God had selected for enlightenment certain individuals very early on and even perhaps before they were born.

Just wondering, Indiana Bob

Hi Bob,
I can only answer for myself but, I know when I was growing up there were many kids I hung around with that never were caught doing anything.  I used to get mad at God when I was little because I thought He was "picking on me" for this very reason.  ;D :o

Now, however, I see it from a different perspective and am so thankful.  I always said, God must love me an awful lot because the scripture says he disciplines who He loves and I sure have had my share of discipline from Him and still do.  In fact, I think I have way more now than I ever had in my entire life.

Grace

GaryK

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 01:48:50 PM »

I wonder if anyone else here had this experience. :)

When I was growing up, I couldn't get away with squat. My mother always knew exactly what I had done, and she was waiting on me when I would get home from school. There were even times when I knew there was no humanly possible way she could have known because no one had seen me, there were no witnesses, etc. However, she always knew.
In joking as I got older, I would say that the Lord always told on me in those times. I was speaking in ignorance, but looking back, I wonder sometimes if what I said in ignorance was indeed true. My mom would even tell me that there were times that she'd "just have this feeling." I used to hate it. I did!

Looking back now, however, I'm thankful for it. If He was indeed "telling on me," I see it as an example of His Love and Mercy - even if I didn't see it that way when it was happening.

Has anyone else had that experience?

That's called 'experience' John Michael.  Don't be fooled.   For some of his 'called', seeing as God has a sense of humor, he equips us with a built-in forehead imprint signage area where guilt is sometimes spelled in extra-large letters, neon flashing print.    G-U-I-L-T-Y...!!!. 

And, of course, in our desperate 'I didn't do it!' chatter we sometimes give away the crime.    In the small town I grew up the news of what I had done reached my grandfather long before I ever thought of committing the crime.  My mother, who was in conspiratorial co-vert operations with my grandfather, and who was really a drill-sargeant and quick with a belt, used to 'lecture' before the whipping and say stupid stuff like "this hurts me more than it hurts you!"  Where do you suppose she figured that out?........to her shame it always hurts to re-live the guilt... ;D.  I challenged her once on that theory and asked her to spare me the lecture and get on with the beating.   She beat me the worst I'd ever had.  And from that little remark I, too, learned some valuable experience.

If you ever really want to sit back and have a good laugh, actually many laughs, rent the old video by Bill Cosby titled "Bill Cosby, himself".  You'll see yourself in his stories over and over and you'll laugh until you cry.   Be warned, there's 1...one... (1) curse word in the entire video.  Oh, the shame of that since it goes against today's trend.

gk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.