bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Voice of God  (Read 4707 times)

inezray

Voice of God
« on: July 10, 2006, 02:21:58 PM »

I have always wondered when God spoke to the great men of the bible did they hear his voice or was it like us who never hear an actual voice but it is in our spirit. For example: Noah when told to build the ark, Abraham told to kill his son, and Moses when told to do all he did with Pharoh. We know that in our time we have people who say they hear the voice of God and do the most evil with it. Abraham told to kill his son and Andrea Yates told to drown her children. What was special about Abraham that he new for sure it was God? Any thoughts? Also, if Abraham did hear an audible voice then he would not need faith. It really does seem confusing at times but we all need to settle things in our mind and hearts to arrive at truth.

Inez

gmik

Re: Voice of God
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 08:53:03 PM »

inez, hi.   I've wondered about that too.  I came out of the charismatic wing of Babylon, and you would hear all the time"the Lord told me...." or "God spoke to me inthe shower today...."  They were so blase about it.

I had a friend who wouldn't even buy a can of peaches without asking God which brand, and she waited on an "answer".

Without really thinking too much about it, I always assumed God was really speaking to the old testament people- in thunderstorms or still small voice-but they weren't "thinking" it.  I'm sure there is a scripture that might tell us, but I don't know it.

Interesting topic.

hillsbororiver

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 09:27:08 PM »

Exo 19:18  And mount Sinai was altogether on a smoke, because the LORD descended upon it in fire: and the smoke thereof ascended as the smoke of a furnace and the whole mount quaked greatly.

Exo 19:19  And when the voice of the trumpet sounded long and waxed louder and louder, Moses spoke and God answered him by a voice.

I am sure that the Lord's voice does speak to us softly and privately but here in Exodus I do believe the smoke, fire, quake, trumpet and His voice were real and powerful enough to get and hold one's uninterrupted and absolute attention,

Joe

Lightseeker

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 11:55:35 PM »

Here is a NT example of an audible voice which many apparently heard.

JOH 12:28  Father, glorify thy name." Then a voice came from heaven, "I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again."
29  The crowd standing by heard it and said that it had thundered. Others said, "An angel has spoken to him."
30  Jesus answered, "This voice has come for your sake, not for mine.

I would love to hear it some day, but haven't yet.  Once, many years ago I heard the audible voice of a demon.  It was a supernatural experience which I've never forgot.  I suppose most go through life never hearing any audible voice on either side

inezray

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 12:37:40 AM »

Each post helps and I thank you all. It brings me back to just resting in my faith and believe in God. Some things we will never fully understand. I am a very analitical person and must admit that over the last 5 years I have went back and forth on whether or not Jesus was even real. Most can probably understand that thirty years of indoctrination and believing so many lies leaves you a little shaken. I am probably the oldest one on this forum( except for Ray) I will be 60 this year and the thought of my life over half over and starting  new with this revelation and no one to talk to (family and freinds) I sometimes wonder why God waited so long to bring truth .I have had a great life in spite of all and dont want to sound like a complainer. Thanks again for responding.

Inez

gmik

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 01:23:03 AM »

:o   I will be 58 in Oct. so I am not far behind you!  Really, sometimes the testosterone on this forum is a bit much......bring on the estrogen!!!

jerry

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 01:55:12 AM »

Eligah herd a still small voice ........Jerry
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 17 queries.