bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: "I tell you the truth"  (Read 10995 times)

One Love

"I tell you the truth"
« on: May 17, 2011, 01:50:29 PM »

Matthew (18:3)-(24:2)-(25:45)-(26:26,34)
Mark 11:23
John (6:26,32,53)-(8:45)-(13:21,38)-(16:7,20)-(16:23)-(21:18)
Luke (9:27)-(12:44)-(21:3)

All above verses uses the words of Christ "I tell you the truth" (Can't be a parable!)

Christ, after all, was made flesh here on earth and He never lies, right! but why that phrase?
Is it in the original manuscripts?

One Love

Re: "I tell you the truth"
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 02:24:22 PM »

OK! Let me elaborate a little more.
"I tell you the truth" (Can't be a parable!) but it's used with some parables and also used literally, like
The windows mite (parable)
Peter's denial (literal) because it happened.
Judas's betrayal (literal) because it happened.
Now if you go thru all these verses with "I tell you the truth" (literal) then follows a (parable)
Is this a literal parable! Can't say that right! how would one explain a non-beleiver that,
Literally it's true because it happened, parably it's true but did not happen. True, truth, literal, parable seems the same, yes, no, anyone.

daywalker

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 04:06:06 PM »

Gordon,

Please explain why the phrase "I tell you the truth" means whatever follows is literal and not a parable? Are not the spiritual lessons of Christ's parables true? There are many things Christ taught without attaching the phrase "I tell you the truth"; does that mean He was lying when He didn't use this phrase? There is no such thing as a "literal parable":

literal

1. Being in accordance with, conforming to, or upholding the exact or primary meaning of a word or words.
2. Word for word; verbatim
3. Avoiding exaggeration, metaphor, or embellishment; factual; prosaic
4. Consisting of, using, or expressed by letters: literal notation.
5. Conforming or limited to the simplest, nonfigurative, or most obvious meaning of a word or words.

parable

A simple story illustrating a moral or religious lesson

Daywalker  8)

Marky Mark

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 04:09:29 PM »

Email response from Ray.

http://www.forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,2651.0.html

Dear Sorin:

When Jesus spoke to the multitudes, when he TAUGHT the multitudes, then He used parables. You will see the term "taught" over and over.  Or the statement that "He ANSWERED....".

But there were many times when Jesus just ANSWERED  a question or made a statement, in which He was not giving a parable. Here is just one example:

Mat 15:28  "Then Jesus ANSWERED and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour."

This was not a parable that He gave to her.

God be with you,

Ray

Peace...Mark

One Love

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 04:51:16 PM »

Sorry Mark
Your post don't fit this topic.
Understand "I tell you the truth" you expect the truth not a parable.

One Love

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 05:07:55 PM »

Hey Daywalker
There is no such thing as a "literal parable":
I think I acknowledged this in my post.
"I tell you the truth" (is not the spiritual part) it's the literal part, this is a true statement spoken by Jesus then follows the parable which is the spiritual part or

Define the literal, parable and spiritual in this verse:

Luke 9:27 I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God."

Stacey

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 05:08:24 PM »

Gordon, are you saying that when ever Jesus said the words "I tell you the truth" that what followed was a actual event that happened and not just a parable?

If that is the case then I suppose only Jesus would know the answer to that. Not sure I'm following what your saying but, either way, all the stories Jesus used for teaching had hidden layers of truths in them whether they were literal events or not.
Stacey

One Love

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 05:14:17 PM »

Gordon, are you saying that when ever Jesus said the words "I tell you the truth" that what followed was a actual event that happened and not just a parable?
No Stacey, I'm asking not saying, basically could the literal and parable be the same because this part "I tell you the truth" makes it true.
Thanx for the post anyway.

Kat

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 05:22:10 PM »

Hi Gordon,

Here is an email where Ray mentions this.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php?topic=2194.0 -------------

Here is what Jesus said concerning His ability to "align" or "perfect" HIS WILL:  "Verily, verily, [truly, truly--what Jesus is about to say is the TRUTH, but who will believe it?] I say unto you, THE SON CAN DO

N-O-T-H-I-NG OF HIMSELF...." (John 5:19).

When things are important and "verily, verily" true, God repeats them. Here is a second witness to this truth:  "I CAN OF MINE OWN SELF DO NOTHING...."  (John 5:3).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mercy, peace and love
Kat

One Love

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 05:43:09 PM »

Yeah Kat but not the answer yet,
Does a parable become literal when Jesus speaks the words, "I tell you the truth"
Thanx

One Love

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 05:54:44 PM »

Ok Kat, I have to apologise to you again,
"Verily, verily, [truly, truly--what Jesus is about to say is the TRUTH,
the way I understand this quote from Mr. Smit, when Jesus speaks or says these words the parable becomes the truth which is literal.
or it could be because he also said that his word is spirit and truth, right.
Thank you again.

One Love

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 06:17:33 PM »

Hey JFK
I'm sure you posted before reading this post, if not then you're wrong!

Ok Kat, I have to apologise to you again,
"Verily, verily, [truly, truly--what Jesus is about to say is the TRUTH,
the way I understand this quote from Mr. Smit, when Jesus speaks or says these words the parable becomes the truth which is literal.
or it could be because he also said that his word is spirit and truth, right.
Thank you again.

Posted on: Today at 03:43:09 

arion

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 06:28:50 PM »

I think we may be straining at a gnat here.  Just because Christ said 'I tell you the truth' doesn't mean one way or another that which follows is either a parable or literal.  After all are not the parables true as well?

One Love

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 06:49:53 PM »

Arion
You "just" didn't get the post yet!

dave

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 06:54:16 PM »

Joh 6:63  It is the spirit that giveth life; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I have spoken unto you are spirit, are are life.   Is this a literal truth?  I understand it to be so.

"parable....A simple story illustrating a moral or religious lesson"

One Love

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 07:01:59 PM »

Thanx Micah
You just repeated what we covered.
God Bless!

Kat

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 07:43:55 PM »

John 8:45  And because I tell you the truth, you do not believe Me.

Christ was truth itself, and every word He spoke was truth. But a lot of things that He said were very difficult to believe. I think Jesus Christ would make a statement like that "I tell you the truth" before He was going to say something that was hard for them to comprehend, like these that you posted would be hard things to understand.

Luke 9:27  But I tell you truly, there are some standing here who shall not taste of death until they see the kingdom of God.

John 16:7  But I tell you the truth, it is expedient for you that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Comforter will not come to you. But if I depart, I will send Him to you.

Mat 26:34  Jesus said to him, Truly I say to you that this night, before the cock crows, you shall deny Me three times.

Mark 11:23  For truly I say to you that whoever shall say to this mountain, Be moved and be cast into the sea, and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that what he said shall occur, he shall have whatever he said.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Marky Mark

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 08:57:38 PM »

Sorry Mark
Your post don't fit this topic.
Understand "I tell you the truth" you expect the truth not a parable.

Gordon,are you saying that a parable is not the truth? Where has Christ's words not been truthful? You seem to be playing some type of word game when in fact a parable is in and of itself a Spiritual truth,that is why Jesus can say "I tell you the truth" because he can not lie. Christs words are Spirit which have to be understood as such. How does Jesus saying "I tell you the truth" take away any truth from the parables?

What is your question? You are side stepping the answers already given by other members.

Peace...Mark

daywalker

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 09:55:37 PM »

Hey Daywalker
There is no such thing as a "literal parable":
I think I acknowledged this in my post.
"I tell you the truth" (is not the spiritual part) it's the literal part, this is a true statement spoken by Jesus then follows the parable which is the spiritual part or

So you're saying that something spiritual can't be literal? Aren't we to "literally" love our neighbors and our enemies? Isn't loving our neighbors and enemies a "spiritual" act? I would say "yes". All Christ's words are Spirit (i.e. "spiritual") and Truth (Jn 6:63), whether He's talking literally or speaking in parables.

Define the literal, parable and spiritual in this verse:

Luke 9:27 I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God."

Clearly, this isn't a short story with a moral lesson, so it's not a parable. Is it literal? Yes, Jesus was literally telling His disciples that they wouldn't "taste death before they see the kingdom of God". Is it spiritual? Yes, of course, the Kingdom IS Spiritual...All Christ's words are Spiritual and Truth.

Still not sure what exactly you're trying to say. I get the impression that you are claiming that parables are not truth. Maybe that's not what you mean, but that's how it sounds to me and a few others here also. Please explain, thanks.

Daywalker  8)

daywalker

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2011, 10:00:32 PM »

Matthew (18:3)-(24:2)-(25:45)-(26:26,34)
Mark 11:23
John (6:26,32,53)-(8:45)-(13:21,38)-(16:7,20)-(16:23)-(21:18)
Luke (9:27)-(12:44)-(21:3)

All above verses uses the words of Christ "I tell you the truth" (Can't be a parable!)

Christ, after all, was made flesh here on earth and He never lies, right! but why that phrase?
Is it in the original manuscripts?

Apologies for the delay... to answer your initial question: Yes:

Luke 9:27 "But (de) I tell (lego) you (humin) of a truth (alethos)..."

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 19 queries.