bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: an interesting thought  (Read 17125 times)

markn902

an interesting thought
« on: May 25, 2011, 04:45:02 PM »

Hi everyone  :)

My wife had an interesting  take on Acts 3 when we were reading it. It is where Peter heals a crippled beggar

Acts 3:8-10
8 So he, leaping up, stood and walked and entered the temple with them—walking, leaping, and praising God. 9 And all the people saw him walking and praising God. 10 Then they knew that it was he who sat begging alms at the Beautiful Gate of the temple; and they were filled with wonder and amazement at what had happened to him.   

She said what struck her was that if this were to happen today, that is a crippled beggar getting up to walk, people would see it as that man was lying about his condition to get money. I think she is right thats what people would say if they saw a man crippled asking for money then later saw him walking. Even if he said it was a miracle we would say "yeah right"

I don't know I just thought it was an interesting  observation and thought I would share

Mark                                                   

zander

Re: an interesting thought
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 06:28:22 PM »

It is an interesting point, which makes me ask - Is there a genuine cripple in the world, who has been miraculously healed in an instant because of their faith in God?  Would love to meet them.

eggi

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 08:20:56 PM »

Hi!

Here is one who got healed:

God bless you,
Eirik
Here’s how to tell if you have faith; how do you live… what do you do… what do you accomplish in life… what are your goals… What is there about you that proves that you have this faith and belief inside of you? What?

daywalker

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 08:55:16 PM »

Hi!

Here is one who got healed:

God bless you,
Eirik

hahahahaha! thanks for sharing

gmik

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 11:38:41 PM »

:D ;D :D

Good one Eirik!!

Zander, I have always wondered why the ancient world was much more magical/miraculous than today.

Most world cultures believe their beginnings were all in misty myths of gods and demons.

some of egypt rubbed off on the Hebrews too.

crazy4bam

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 01:38:29 PM »

Hi everyone  :)

My wife had an interesting  take on Acts 3 when we were reading it. It is where Peter heals a crippled beggar

Acts 3:8-10
8 So he, leaping up, stood and walked and entered the temple with them—walking, leaping, and praising God. 9 And all the people saw him walking and praising God. 10 Then they knew that it was he who sat begging alms at the Beautiful Gate of the temple; and they were filled with wonder and amazement at what had happened to him.   

She said what struck her was that if this were to happen today, that is a crippled beggar getting up to walk, people would see it as that man was lying about his condition to get money. I think she is right that's what people would say if they saw a man crippled asking for money then later saw him walking. Even if he said it was a miracle we would say "yeah right"

I don't know I just thought it was an interesting  observation and thought I would share

Mark                                                   

I read this and reread this. I will have to confess I am one of those people of today would just assume the man was scamming someone to get money. Today we all do that because it has happened so many times that our radar goes up and thinks this is a scam. When this situation happened people most likely didn't think of doing something so wrong. I am not saying it probably didn't happen but not on a grand scale like it is today.

using my own opinion,
                                                                             crazy4bam

daywalker

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 01:59:21 PM »

She said what struck her was that if this were to happen today, that is a crippled beggar getting up to walk, people would see it as that man was lying about his condition to get money. I think she is right thats what people would say if they saw a man crippled asking for money then later saw him walking. Even if he said it was a miracle we would say "yeah right"

Mark                                                   

That is interesting and very true in my opinion.

When I still lived in Orange County, my friends and I hung out at this local coffee shop often. There were a few beggars who came there every night asking for change, and like the generous young kids we were, we would give them the change from our coffee purchases. Then one chilly night, one of them came by and he had this really nice brand new sports wind breaker jacket... I'm talking like $100 MINIMUM... I remember seeing his jacket, then realizing how cold I was in my hooded sweat jacket that was ready for an upgrade. When he asked me for change I told him 'no way' because I was a bit jealous that this bum had a better jacket than me. Of course, later I felt bad.... But then a few weeks later, here comes this bum again, with his jacket AND a brand new mountain bike! Alright, now I'm convinced there's something fishy going on here! Not too many days later, I was talking with a friend who worked at the coffee shop and she told me that the "bums" who all came here were not really bums at all! There was a group of five of them who all lived together in a house near-by and instead of working jobs like normal people, they all go out and beg for change, and stand out on the streets with "homeless" signs. She says one of the guys told her he makes on average $300 a day doing this!!! Talk about scam-artists! Since that day she told me all this I've NEVER looked at a bum the same...

Daywalker  8)

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 02:22:27 PM »

Luk 16:8  And the lord commended the unjust steward, because he had done wisely: for the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light.

Great catch Eirik ! ~ :D :)

Arc

moxicarose

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 05:36:19 PM »

Mark                                                   

When I still lived in Orange County, my friends and I hung out at this local coffee shop often. There were a few beggars who came there every night asking for change, and like the generous young kids we were, we would give them the change from our coffee purchases. Then one chilly night, one of them came by and he had this really nice brand new sports wind breaker jacket... I'm talking like $100 MINIMUM... I remember seeing his jacket, then realizing how cold I was in my hooded sweat jacket that was ready for an upgrade. When he asked me for change I told him 'no way' because I was a bit jealous that this bum had a better jacket than me. Of course, later I felt bad.... But then a few weeks later, here comes this bum again, with his jacket AND a brand new mountain bike! Alright, now I'm convinced there's something fishy going on here! Not too many days later, I was talking with a friend who worked at the coffee shop and she told me that the "bums" who all came here were not really bums at all! There was a group of five of them who all lived together in a house near-by and instead of working jobs like normal people, they all go out and beg for change, and stand out on the streets with "homeless" signs. She says one of the guys told her he makes on average $300 a day doing this!!! Talk about scam-artists! Since that day she told me all this I've NEVER looked at a bum the same...

Daywalker  8)

There is a huge network of people doing this in my city...I figured out that they were scammers when I saw a well dressed, nicely manicured girl walking with a backpack while reading a book (reading and walking...on a street. haha..danger much?) She stopped at the corner next to a (also well dressed) young guy in a nice winter coat and new tennis shoes who was holding a homeless sign, put her book in her backpack and took the sign from the guy, flipping it over to reveal a different begging message. What was even fishier was that the sign was LAMINATED, I'm guessing to keep it from getting soggy in our rainy climate.

I've struggled with wether or not I should ever give money to such people, but I think I've decided that if I have some change, and I stop on a corner where one of them is standing, I will give them the money in Jesus name.  :)

jingle52

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 06:10:25 AM »

Erick that was great  ;D

Were I live, the gypsies/Romanians beg and go to the supermarket later in groups to do their daily shopping, pity that they mostly only buy beer and then sit outside slaking their thirst (women included). I’ve also given to them in the past, then there are those who sit around with 4 or 5 dogs and their pups (hoping that we’ll feel sorry at least for the dogs), there are those who sit and beg with their half drugged children because they are always asleep (here too, hoping we’ll have pity on their babies)….. and we’ve seen those very same people several times chatting on their cell-phones…..  There are children who are bought in their country of origin, brought over here and then taught how to beg and snatch handbags from unsuspecting people… We have seen reports about how they go back to their own country to build houses which are the envy of their neighbours. Begging is big business here in Europe!

Thanks for that interesting thought Mark, thank you. :)

daywalker

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 03:28:21 PM »

Mark                                                   

Daywalker  8)

There is a huge network of people doing this in my city...I figured out that they were scammers when I saw a well dressed, nicely manicured girl walking with a backpack while reading a book (reading and walking...on a street. haha..danger much?) She stopped at the corner next to a (also well dressed) young guy in a nice winter coat and new tennis shoes who was holding a homeless sign, put her book in her backpack and took the sign from the guy, flipping it over to reveal a different begging message. What was even fishier was that the sign was LAMINATED, I'm guessing to keep it from getting soggy in our rainy climate.

I've struggled with wether or not I should ever give money to such people, but I think I've decided that if I have some change, and I stop on a corner where one of them is standing, I will give them the money in Jesus name.  :)

You can usually tell a true homeless person by offering them food instead of money. A real starving beggar would obviously be excited if you offered to purchase a sandwich for him, while a phony will offer some stupid reason for why don't want money. (and I speak from experience) Personally, I would never give money to any beggar because there's a chance he or she will waste it on booze or drugs (or even worse, they are one of these phonies). The last thing I'd want to do is support either of these habits. That's just me, though...

Linny

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 03:56:40 PM »

We have to be very careful when always looking for a bad motive in hurting people. My husband ALWAYS gives when he has it to people who are in need. If we had more, he'd give more. He could care less what they use it for. That is between them and God. He gives with a sincere heart and with more compassion than anyone I know.
We've "wasted" money on much worse things than this.  :( :-\

The church teaches not to help our brother's and sister's and Christians are the most leery of helping than anyone I know.

Actually heard one of the big ones say in the pulpit NOT TO HELP anyone because they would then credit you and not God. ONLY GIVE YOUR MONEY TO THE CHURCH and let them help.  ::) >:(

gmik

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 07:33:09 PM »

John, I love that scripture and have used it as a sword on many occassions back in my "faith-period" days.

To me, then, it meant NO WAY was I ever going to be hungry or not taken care of!!!

then I started thinking of MANY believers who indeed were hungry and starving to the point of death all around the world all the time since time began to now...

so it must have another meaning to it and not literal...that was one of the first stepping stones God used to bring me out of the faith message, then slowly out of the church world, then to Ray...

Linny, my husband is like that also...I need to run to catch up to his cheerful giving... ;)

I have a dear friend who was a missionary teacher in Guatamala for 4 years.  It was a routine scam for people to run in front of a slow moving car and then pretend to get hurt...for a few American dollars they would not alert the authorities..  My friend would always want to pay as she felt they only did this as they were poor, but she was strongly urged NOT to pay them nor to get involved w/ the authorities either as they would take bribes.

Once, here in the US, I was teaching at the time, and knew of a student on free breakfasts and lunches, but was dropped off at school in a cadillac and always had the latest fad clothing!!

So sad to think of all the situations that put people into begging or scams of begging.

there but for the Grace of God go I.....

Duane

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 12:11:17 AM »

I used to give money that I really "didn't have" to give away bt I felt sorry for the "begger".  Later I learned from someone that the same "beggar" accepted a car ride from a generous person and was involved in an accident, sued, and won $20,000 which was in his savings account!
At the time I was unemployed and wish I was as "bad off" as the beggar.

Linny

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 12:16:16 AM »

Completely second all of that Gena.

I, with much regret, see far too often people who love and trust in the Lord who are losing homes, jobs, loved ones and their faith and trust in God. My dear husband is also one of those. So much has happened to us in the past few years. It seems we never get a break and have lost so much. Our trials have been one factor in why he is so quick to help others which is the only blessing I have seen coming from it.

And I also agree that I wish I had the compassion and heart of my giving, non-judgmental husband. He is a treasure and such an example to me and to my children.

markn902

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 09:41:07 PM »

For the record I give to people whenever God puts them in front of me and I do not question or try to judge their motivations for asking. It's only money and money does not rule my life nor do I put that much importance on it. I rely on God for survival and am doing just fine. I am not anyones judge and if they took the money and went straight to the liquor store well drunks got to drink too. I only do what I would want someone to do to me if the situations were reversed.  :)

JohnMichael

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 01:23:31 AM »

For the record I give to people whenever God puts them in front of me and I do not question or try to judge their motivations for asking. It's only money and money does not rule my life nor do I put that much importance on it. I rely on God for survival and am doing just fine. I am not anyones judge and if they took the money and went straight to the liquor store well drunks got to drink too. I only do what I would want someone to do to me if the situations were reversed.  :)

This reminded me of a situation that happened to me years ago. I was leaving a night club after a night of drinking and dancing (I know ;) ), and there was a man outside with his dog. He came up and asked me if I had any money. I only had a $20 in my wallet, and I just remember feeling this desire to help him. Against the advice of my friend who was with me, I gave the man the $20. He started crying and tried to refuse the money. I told him to keep it - that I insisted. I will never forget the look on his face as he told me that now his dog and he would be able to eat for a few days. There was no lie in him.

It was one of those experiences where your heart feels like it will burst with joy because you did something expecting absolutely nothing in return. My only regret is that I didn't have more to give him.

John
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 03:02:33 PM by JohnMichael »

tau

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 04:07:29 PM »

Indeed we are living in a global village! i kid you not, the beggars here in south africa are just as world class as any, there is a couple that used to stand in the street corners rain or shine and beg for money (never for food), should you offer them work, they turn it down, should you offer them a warm place and hot meal, they tell you that your home is too quiet and they miss street life! if you get them a job, they do not pitch for work! when they have kids they keep telling you how they miss their kids in foster home and they are more than capable of looking after their kids, yet they do not want regular life!, they rather sleep in the streets and in the rain rather than stay in your house, their exact words; could you please return us to the bridge under the high way, we are not coping here! "here" being your house with meals, clean clothes, hot tea and access to hot baths and guranteed daily meal. it really is humbling how far one must go to try and help his fellow human being!!

judith collier

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 06:43:32 PM »

To all. This was my experience yesterday!I do not know if I did the right thing. My husband and myself were approaching a store when a young woman stopped us and asked for a favor. She was decently dressed and very excited. She said she had $4.60 and I misunderstood that's what she needed to buy some fluid for her car, well that's NOT what she meant, after I gave her the initial $4.60, she then started figuring how much more she need. I said,"what, I thought that's all you needed" She took awhile and then said she needed $16.00 more. My husband whipped the money out and that's when I got angry. I figured most people have a phone to call someone but she said she lived about 25 miles away. No credit card??????
I said sorry, i want all the money back, we live on quite a fixed income and retired. I don't know if my instincts kicked in but in all my life I have never been asked for that much money and i thought that she was brash. I would have walked to a gas station (very close) and got what i could. A little bit of anti freeze goes a long way.Come to think about it we had some in the car but forgot in all the goings on.
I was angry for quite awhile not only because of the money but some young people do not plan ahead and then expect to be delivered from their bad planning. Who knows.Maybe if she had asked us to go into the store with her? Also she said she would meet us somewhere the next day to pay it back. I asked for her address but she changed the subject.
So what do you guys think. My husband called me a witch!!!
judy

daywalker

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 08:37:05 PM »

To all. This was my experience yesterday!I do not know if I did the right thing. My husband and myself were approaching a store when a young woman stopped us and asked for a favor. She was decently dressed and very excited. She said she had $4.60 and I misunderstood that's what she needed to buy some fluid for her car, well that's NOT what she meant, after I gave her the initial $4.60, she then started figuring how much more she need. I said,"what, I thought that's all you needed" She took awhile and then said she needed $16.00 more. My husband whipped the money out and that's when I got angry. I figured most people have a phone to call someone but she said she lived about 25 miles away. No credit card??????
I said sorry, i want all the money back, we live on quite a fixed income and retired. I don't know if my instincts kicked in but in all my life I have never been asked for that much money and i thought that she was brash. I would have walked to a gas station (very close) and got what i could. A little bit of anti freeze goes a long way.Come to think about it we had some in the car but forgot in all the goings on.
I was angry for quite awhile not only because of the money but some young people do not plan ahead and then expect to be delivered from their bad planning. Who knows.Maybe if she had asked us to go into the store with her? Also she said she would meet us somewhere the next day to pay it back. I asked for her address but she changed the subject.
So what do you guys think. My husband called me a witch!!!
judy

She sounds a little shady in my opinion, so no I don't think you're a witch.  :D

As I've already said before, I never give strangers or beggars cash (anymore). I don't believe in that "well, I did my good deed, it's between them and God" attitude. That's 'pulling the ignorance card' in my opinion. I don't want the risk of my money supporting someone's drug or alcohol problem. If a person is hungry, and I have the ability to feed them, I will. If someone needs something else, and I'm able to get it for them, I will.

But what if I give a guy some cash and he goes and buys a bottle of vodka, chugs it down, then steals a car, runs a red light and kills a young teenager!! ??? I wouldn't want that blood on my hands. (yea, sure, some may say that's an extreme analogy, but that's the way I think...)

Daywalker  8)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.