bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: God judges the world in a pond?  (Read 3860 times)

crazy4bam

God judges the world in a pond?
« on: May 27, 2011, 02:08:09 PM »

I read the LOF papers and saw this one and started reading it. I found it interesting and somewhat confusing. I looked on the es-word:

This word limen has the word "fair" before it in Acts 27:8, in the King James Version—the "fair havens." Other translations render this verse as "safe harbor." (My father helped build Safe Harbor Dam in Pennsylvania).

I read this in the KJV on es-word then I changed the language on this scripture and got the change Ray talked about:

Acts 27:8  And, hardly passing it, came unto a place which is called The fare havens; nigh whereunto was the city  Lasea.

Wouldn't the "fare havens" be the same "fare havens" in verse 12?The very reason that the "fair haven" of Acts 27:12

"…was not commodious [suitable] to winter in…" [is because of its position to the sea] "…the more [majority] part advised to depart thence also if by any means they might attain to Phenice, and there to winter; which is an haven [harbor] of Crete, and lies [opens] toward the south west and north west."

The American Bible Union Version translates this verse:

"was not well situated for wintering in…"

The Living Bible translates this verse:

"And since Fair Havens was an exposed harbor…

I have read the article till its end and still trying to understand the above. I know that everyone probably answered this 100 times. I am sorry for asking again. My female brain is trying to come with a reason for these words and can not.

Pam

Akira329

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
Re: God judges the world in a pond?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 11:29:40 PM »

Hey Pam
Yep! If you look at a map of the Mediterranean Sea during Paul's time they're all on the same island!
The exposed harbor is still not suitable for staying during the winter because its exposed.
Exposed to what? The winter!
Harbor still means "safe place to be" this particular harbor was exposed during the winter time.
So just not as safe.
The haven or harbor at Crete was more suitable.

Hope this helps Pam!
Antaiwan
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

crazy4bam

Re: God judges the world in a pond?
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 11:50:03 PM »

Antaiwan,

Thank you very much for the help. Your answer helped my old brain.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.