bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TWO TOUGH QUESTIONS  (Read 8676 times)

Samson

TWO TOUGH QUESTIONS
« on: June 10, 2011, 12:09:18 PM »

Hello Forum,

Below, is a thought provoking Email I received from My Dad, I don't consider it Political, it actual deals with Judging individuals or situations in advance before knowing the final end of a matter. It's definitely, Food For thought, indicating that We really never know how choices will conclude. Read Below !

2 TOUGH QUESTIONS

Question 1:
If you knew a woman who was pregnant,
Who had 8 kids already,
Three who were deaf,
Two who were blind,
One mentally retarded,
And she had syphilis,
Would you recommend that she have an abortion?

Read the next question before looking at the response for this one.

Question 2:
It is time to elect a new world leader, and only your vote counts..
Here are the facts about the three candidates.

Candidate A:
Associates with crooked politicians, and consults with astrologists.
He's had two mistresses.
He also chain smokes
And drinks 8 to 10 martinis a day.

Candidate B:
He was kicked out of office twice,
Sleeps until noon,
Used opium in college
And drinks a quart of whiskey every evening.

Candidate C:
He is a decorated war hero.
He's a vegetarian,
Doesn't smoke,
Drinks an occasional beer
And never committed adultery.

Which of these candidates would be our choice?

Decide first ... No peeking, and then scroll down for the response.

Candidate A is Franklin D. Roosevelt.
Candidate B is Winston Churchill.
Candidate C is Adolph Hitler.

And, by the way, on your answer to the abortion question:

If you said YES, you just killed Beethoven.

Pretty interesting isn't it?
Makes a person think before judging someone.

Remember:

Amateurs ... Built the ark.
Professionals ... Built the Titanic

God only knows the outcome of every choice, the above was a reminder, Samson.

Deborah-Leigh

Re: TWO TOUGH QUESTIONS
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 12:49:31 PM »

Excellent Samson ~  :D

Mat 21:31  Whether of them twain did the will of his father? They say unto him, The first. Jesus saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you.

Arc

Rene

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 12:55:30 PM »

Hi Samson,

Point well made and quite thought provoking! 

However, I must add that although "amateurs may have built the ark," they were being supervised by the greatest Professional of all! ;D

René

gmik

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 02:16:21 PM »

wow..great thoughts!

I like that Rene!!

daywalker

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 02:40:01 PM »

Hi Samson,

Point well made and quite thought provoking! 

However, I must add that although "amateurs may have built the ark," they were being supervised by the greatest Professional of all! ;D

René

Great point!

Personally, I'm convinced the Titanic would still be afloat today if only they hadn't been so stupid to say that God Himself couldn't sink it! They might as well said, "I think this boat would look great on the bottom of the Atlantic ocean!"  :D

Daywalker  8)

Duane

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 12:40:44 AM »

My father once told me about the "invincibleness" of the Titanic and how man claimed that "even God couldn't sink it and the people aboard partied with reckless abandon"  BUT then Dad asked if I knew what hymn the band played as the ship was sinking.  I didn't.  The answer: "Nearer My God to Thee".
My wife and I went and saw the movie.  Sure enough, the ship was sinking and the conductor knew they were doomed to die so he had the remainder of the orchestra play "Nearer My God to Thee"  but the impact was lost on tha audience, who didn't know the song
so it was "just music".  I felt like yelling out "doesn't ANYBODY know WHAT THEY ARE PLAYING??  (sometimes it feels nice to not be
"just the common folks"!)  ;D

Heidi

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 01:18:42 AM »

Wow Samson you had me and my husband completely fooled.....we turned it into a discussion and were amazed at the answers.....very interesting. 

Heidi

Fester

• Yes a pancake!
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 12:04:09 PM »

Snopes has a good writeup about this glurge:

Good advice, but unfortunately it's presented with some glurgiously bad examples.

We'll tackle the second half first. It has some good points, namely that by selectively choosing which facts to report, you can make just about anyone look good or bad. It also (perhaps unintentionally) provides an example demonstrating that facts offered out of context can be more misleading than no facts at all: Hitler's diet was primarily vegetarian throughout the latter part of his life; however, he didn't adopt a vegetarian diet for moral reasons, but because he suffered from gastric
problems.

Still, some of the semantic trickery used here makes this a rather poor example. Hitler had affairs with several women (some of whom died under mysterious circumstances), but they weren't technically "extramarital" affairs because he wasn't married. Playing games with language might also be part of the lesson here, but we suspect that whoever crafted this piece included some misinformation by mistake, not by design.

The Beethoven example is egregiously misleading. Beethoven was born well over two hundred years ago, in an era when the infant mortality was quite high by modern standards, and even infants who survived were often afflicted with serious health problems. Children didn't die or experience physical problems so frequently back then simply because they were all born to mothers who were themselves in poor health, as is implied here. Offering an 18th century example in a 20th century setting is a very poor way of making a serious point.

Also, Beethoven was not born to a woman who "had 8 kids already." Although his mother, Maria Magdalena Laym (nee Kewerich) gave birth a total of eight times during her lifetime, Ludwig was only her third child. (Her first two children, one from a previous marriage, both died in infancy.) Only two of Beethoven's five younger siblings survived beyond their first few years of their life.

Even if we take this example at face value, its message is still problematic. If the woman in the example had been advised to abort her pregnancy based on the (mis)information supplied here, the world would never have known the magic of Beethoven's music. But maybe a different woman who did opt to terminate her pregnancy might have spared the world another Stalin or Hitler. This is the sort of speculative "What if?" game that neither side can win, so it's best not to play at all.
"Christianity began as a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. When it went to Athens, it became a philosophy. When it went to Rome, it became an organization. When it went to Europe, it became a culture. When it came to America, it became a business."

Patrick

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 02:28:34 PM »

Quote from: Fester

This is the sort of speculative "What if?" game that neither side can win, so it's best not to play at all.

Reminds me of a quote from the film "War Games";
Joshua: (speaking about the game of Global Thermonuclear War) "A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?"  :)

Duane

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 02:36:52 PM »

What if there were no such things as hypothetical questions?? ;)

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 02:45:30 PM »

...or happy, fun and laughter games...~ :)

Drew

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 03:55:44 PM »

Those questions weren't tough at all. My answers were: No, and none of the above!  :)

Drew

acomplishedartis

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 07:27:15 AM »

Interesting stuff, Samson and Chester.

We could make some many more of these kind of examples from everyday life, and the outcome would be a good experience to remind us to be more carefull when judging others and also to get better at reading intentions and generalizing people and places.

here are a few ones.

-persons with a nice looking appearances are related with wisdom and healthiness...

-persons with a lot of money are related with bosts and wisdom...

and I could go on and on...

Whatever the statistics say, many around these forum are precious exceptions to the many rules of popular wisdom .

rimandok

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 04:16:38 AM »

Duane, the titanic sunk because it collided with Chuck Norris' boat. He was fishing in that part at that time.

gmik

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 08:44:37 PM »

;D ;D Love chuck norris jokes!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 23 queries.