bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Breath of Life  (Read 11335 times)

dave

Breath of Life
« on: June 17, 2011, 12:04:19 AM »

I have been led, for the last forty years, to spend more of the study time I have been given in the first 6 chapters of Genesis.
So, I will ask this question, putting aside what one has been told, and looking at the Book. I mean no offence at all.

What is the "breath of life" in Genesis 2:7?
I believe it to be the wind or breath of the Creator igniting or kick starting mankinds respiratory system, mankinds  unconscious breathing. That breath of life is in all of the breathing creatures/souls. It is the breath/spirit that returns to the one who gave it when that soul/breathing creature dies.

Peace and Love Through Jesus :)

Kat

Re: Breath of Life
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 01:37:08 AM »

Hi Micah7:9,

Here are a few emails from Ray on the subject.

http://www.forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,1675.0.html -----

Yes, there is a spirit in man (AND ALL ANIMALS). Nothing can live without "spirit." Spirit IS life (Ecc. 8:8; Ecc. 12:7; Luke 23:46;  I Cor. 2:11; etc.).  There is no consciousness in our spirit alone. There is only consciousness (soul) when man's spirit is combined with a body.
   God retains our spirit until resurrection when He puts our spirit into a new body and we once again become conscious or receive back the quality of "soul."  We are said to have new "spiritual" bodies, not that we are made "spirits."

http://www.forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,655.0.html ---------

You are not paying attention to my writings. The consciousness is not in the body, and it is not in the spirit. The consciousness of man is in his soul, and his soul is resultant outcome of our spirit being united with a body. God breathed the breath and spirit of life into the man formed from the dust of the ground, and the man then BECAME a living soul. He BECAME conscious of his own being. At death we are no longer conscious of our being or our death. Our spirit must be reunited with a new body in resurrection before we will regain the soul and consciousness that we had before we died.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,4176.0.html ----------

Dear Dwight:

ALL men (and animals) have a spirit. This spirit gives life to the body and produces soul (feelings, thinking, emotions, etc.). But God dwells in our hearts and minds by way of His HOLY Spirit, which is a different spirit.

God be with you,
        Ray

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 04:22:52 AM »

Joh 20:21  Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.
Joh 20:22  And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost: ~ :)

Arc

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 04:38:42 AM »

After Jesus Himself and Resurrected, breathed on His Disciples, there were no immediate reported consequences.

When the rushing mighty wind came from Heaven, there were!

Act 2:2  And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.

The Disciples were inspired by the violence of a mighty wind like a slap on the bottom of a new born baby ~ :)

Arc

Kat

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 11:45:20 AM »

The breath of life is a spark/spirit from God bringing a physical fleshly creature to physical life.

Job 33:4  The Spirit of God made me, and the breath of the Almighty gives me life.

Ecc 3:19  For what happens to the children of man and what happens to the beasts is the same; as one dies, so dies the other. They all have the same breath, and man has no advantage over the beasts, for all is vanity.

As Arcturus brought out there is also another spirit/breath from God we shall all receive and that is the Holy Spirit, this brings to us spiritual LIFE.

1Co 15:45  And so it is written, "The first man, Adam, became a living soul," the last Adam was a life-giving Spirit.
v. 46  But not the spiritual first, but the natural; afterward the spiritual.
v. 47  The first man was out of earth, earthy; the second Man was the Lord from Heaven.
v. 48  Such the earthy man, such also the earthy ones. And such the heavenly Man, such also the heavenly ones.
v. 49  And according as we bore the image of the earthy man, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly Man.

Rom 8:15  For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
v. 16  The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
v. 17  And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with Him, that we may be also glorified together.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Rene

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 11:57:55 AM »

The breath of life is a spark/spirit from God bringing a physical fleshly creature to physical life.

As Arcturus brought out there is also another spirit/breath from God we shall all receive and that is the Holy Spirit, this brings to us spiritual LIFE.

Thanks Kathy for bringing out these two distinctions.  This is a vital point to remember as we discuss this subject.:)

René

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 04:21:56 PM »

1Co 2:11  For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
1Co 2:12  Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

1Jn 4:1  Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

1Jn 4:3  And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

The Kingdom of God and His King Jesus Christ in you!

Arc

dave

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 06:15:06 PM »

My reasoning is that the "breath" of life has nothing to do with mans spirit. There is breath, wind, spirit, I believe it is discerning between them that is important and vital as we grow in Him and He in us.

And man became a living soul with the same breath of life as, "A chimpanzee breathes the breath of life."

dave

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 11:53:58 PM »

Me neither. Peace and Love Through Jesus.

Joel

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 01:59:11 AM »

It's interesting to me that the name Abel means "breath, vapour."
And the Voice of his blood cried out.
Also that the phrase "flesh and bone" is used in the Bible, as well as "flesh and Blood."
Just a thought :)

Joel
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 02:16:03 AM by Joel »

dave

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 05:03:05 AM »

It's interesting to me that the name Abel means "breath, vapour."
And the Voice of his blood cried out.
Also that the phrase "flesh and bone" is used in the Bible, as well as "flesh and Blood."
Just a thought :)

Joel

Where do you find that Abel means "breath, vapour?" I have not found that.

Joel

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 11:21:01 AM »

I have a 1972 Thomas Nelson Bible that has center column references that has Abel, Heb. " a breath" there in Genesis 4:2
Also I did a name search on the web that said the same thing, and added the word vapour.

Joel

dave

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 03:46:21 PM »

I have a 1972 Thomas Nelson Bible that has center column references that has Abel, Heb. " a breath" there in Genesis 4:2
Also I did a name search on the web that said the same thing, and added the word vapour.

Joel

Abel= emptiness or vanity; figuratively something transitory and unsatisfactory,breath, vapor. I like that even more. All the better. And thank you :)

indianabob

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 08:09:05 PM »

Folks,

Seems to me that even the churches of Christendom will allow for the type of discussion we have been having. Their hang up is that they need to believe that the person or the soul continues in a conscious state and can observe God and observe what transpires among their living relatives etc. Isn't that how they maintain the guilt trip that they want to put on those who did them wrong? And don't they want to believe that they can be in heaven enjoying life with God rather than just dead?

If their dogma was that we die and know nothing and then after ONLY three days we are in heaven with God, I thing that they would be satisfied to believe that the "dead" know nothing. It's a real mixture of some truth and some error.

Bob

bluzman

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 08:28:46 PM »

I think you are right on Bob,
Bluzman

dave

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 09:55:09 PM »

Folks,

Seems to me that even the churches of Christendom will allow for the type of discussion we have been having. Their hang up is that they need to believe that the person or the soul continues in a conscious state and can observe God and observe what transpires among their living relatives etc. Isn't that how they maintain the guilt trip that they want to put on those who did them wrong? And don't they want to believe that they can be in heaven enjoying life with God rather than just dead?

If their dogma was that we die and know nothing and then after ONLY three days we are in heaven with God, I thing that they would be satisfied to believe that the "dead" know nothing. It's a real mixture of some truth and some error.

Bob

I, Micah, do not accept a word of that drivel. All seems to be lost with what man believes is the breath of the breathing creature. The Lord God in Gen.2:7 began the respiratory and unconscious breathing of the living soul or breathing creature.
All breathing creatures started breathing/living then. The Lord God had no reason to explain after He kicked man/adam/mankind into living  after Gen.2:7..the dust of the ground man/adam/mankind
Gen 2:19  And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air;
After Gen.2:7 the dust of the ground, all of living began to breath.

Craig

• There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 11:14:41 PM »

Folks I bang my head every time this discussion comes up.  On and on and on.  This is also covers another thread starting up.

Micah you don't have to accept that drivel because it does not matter, you know why?  Because you don't know.

I don't have to accept it you know why?  Because I don't know.

Bob or Kat or Joel or Deb or Ray or anyone else doesn't have to accept this, you know why?  Because nobody knows for sure. 

The scriptures are silent on beginning and the end, It is like we are reading a book with the front and back missing but with just a few sentences at each end. We know God created the heavens and earth and all that are in them, He created Adam; in the end we will be perfected in some way and God will be all in all.  Why does God not tell us much about the beginning and end of things? Because it is obvious that God does not think it important to us.  You know what is important?  That we live the middle, that we die to self, that Christ increases in us and we decrease.  Why is it the idols of our heart and the unimportant things that we spend way to much time talking about does the least to make us die to self?  Have you all been perfected?  Have you died to self?  Is your body and life a suitable vessel for Christ to live in?  If so then spend time on the less importand topics, if not then what the heck are we doing here?

Look at the forum, Ray has thousands of pages written on the subject of the good news of the gospel and having Christ live in us, thousands of pages explaining the parts of scripture that God wants us to know about.  But we only seem to want to spend 70% of our time trying to write the beginning of a story and the end of the story.  That is not for us to know in this life and God does not need our help writing it, He has it under control. 

I'll admit it is fun to discuss the unknown, I do it alot with friends and some forum members.  But I have to step back and realize that any theory or new understanding of a word that I may think I have is just speculation on my part and I cannot let something become an idol of my heart.   Ray has brought out alot of his theories of some of the missing chunks of the beginning and end of this story, and I am inclined to listen to him because he is such a gifted teacher, but I will not hang my hat on it, you know why?  Because there just is not enough scriptural support to back it up.  Read the Lake of Fire and look at all the scriptural support of those teachings, teachings that I don't fully understand but there is no doubt in my mind of their validity because of all the scriptural support.

So what I'm trying to say to everyone here is this, discuss the things God does not give answers too and speculate, but don't get mad because someone does not agree with you and don't expect that you are going to dig up some hidden treasure, the hidden treasures are not hiding they are in plain sight within the scriptures that God gives us; every one one of the treasures Ray has shown us was there all along and spoken about in hundreds of scriptures.

Craig

dave

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2011, 01:04:45 AM »

I must agree with you my friend, but then where is it that, we who are digging and searching are to quit, because?
I have found Rays teachings deep and yet very simple to understand, simply they are Bible, but to stop or squelch  thinking that is excited, and brought forth in the individual mind and its thinking. If Ray does not desire souls who believe in Jesus Christ, who will not sift all the thoughts that are excited in mans mind, then I will stop.
I find Bible Truths to me far and above far when it comes to the truth and what the Bible says, but I will not quit just for the reason that "its been done" and no one else can add to the equation. If I am in error, then...  I love and respect L. Ray Smith, but he is L. Ray Smith.
If Im banned you all have my love and I will have lost a great hall of ideas and information. God Bless.
All seems to be lost with what man believes is the breath of the breathing creature. The Lord God in Gen.2:7 began the respiratory and unconscious breathing of the living soul or breathing creature.
All breathing creatures started breathing/living then. The Lord God had no reason to explain after He kicked man/adam/mankind into living  after Gen.2:7..the dust of the ground man/adam/mankind
Gen 2:19  And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air;
After Gen.2:7 the dust of the ground, all of living began to breath.

Peace and Love Through Jesus

« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 01:13:54 AM by micah7:9 »

Craig

• There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 08:43:53 AM »

Why would you be banned?  and why should you stop searching?  We should study to show ourselves approved. But why must we want to find answers to questions that we have been given no answer?  Was Adam the first man? Did God create so and so before so and so?  How are we raised? How long will it be before God is all in all? When is the second coming?  How will it happen?  How will God perfect us?  What breath did God blow into Adam? Into anything?

What if you become convinced you have been given divine revelation to any of these question, then what?  You cannot bring them here because even though you may be right, it is not something taught by Ray, and the purpose of the forum is not to bring new teaching.  If you are convinced you are right will you have many many scriptures to back it up?  If not it will not stand up to the Berean's and you will be angry when someone shoots your theory to pieces and strife rears its ugly head.  We all need to be a Berean studying to know when a teaching goes against scripture and correcting those who contradict, but very, very, very few are teachers who God gives the gift of understanding and teaching authority to, if we are neither of these and are searching and searching and forever swayed to and fro and are not dieing to self and God is not changing our life then I believe we are just religious hobbyist and we will soon tire of the teachings that bring us here and find the next thing that will tickle our ears.

Micah I'm not picking on you, this if for everyone, myself included.  I need to practice what I preach as well.

Craig
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 08:57:50 AM by Craig »

dave

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2011, 04:23:40 PM »

Thank you  :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.