bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bible names suspect--  (Read 5586 times)

Duane

Bible names suspect--
« on: June 25, 2011, 09:23:42 PM »

Did anyone ever ponder why the Bible names of the disciples,  "leading characters", as well as the books of the Bible have such an English sound to them?  Adam, Samson, David, Moses, John, Matthew, Mark, Luke, Timothy, Titus, Araham etc? 
Wouldn't it seem more realisitic, knowing the Bible was of another culture and language of Greek and Hebrew--that the twelve disciples would have names like:  Sabtecheh, Havilah, Sabtah, Ahazuerus, Ashkanaz, Riphath and Togarmah?
Or, children's Bible stories:  Mazraim and Goliath, Dodanim and the whale, instead of Mary and Joseph-try: Milchah and Chedorlaomer?
sounds  TOO convenient for me--

gmik

Re: Bible names suspect--
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 12:51:16 AM »

Never thought of that. :D  Maybe they were changed...isn't Jesus really Yeshua which means joshua??

Duane

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 03:28:37 AM »

I guess I just have too much time on my hands BUT I think of little Johnnie coming home from sunday school and the parents ask:
"Well, Johnnie, what did you learn about today in Sunday School?"  Johnnie:  "Ahasuerus and the whale" or Mahershalahashbaz in
the lions den".  Too funny!

noeleena

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • live life. love life.
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 07:17:45 AM »

Hi,

I knew this some 46 years ago , well it come 's down to the engish mind set . & so many people interprtating the letters, in thier own langage, & apart from to much not being as it should this is an other example of not getting it right,

Another point is while the letters were being writen  N T so called ,  could not put thier names signed at the bottom of the letters because they the writers would have been found & killed ,  this was all done  underground at the time,  stelth....

...noeleena...

Joel

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 11:30:27 PM »

As for me, I am glad we don't have to call the animals by their scientific names! ;D

Joel

daywalker

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 02:02:58 PM »

Did anyone ever ponder why the Bible names of the disciples,  "leading characters", as well as the books of the Bible have such an English sound to them?  Adam, Samson, David, Moses, John, Matthew, Mark, Luke, Timothy, Titus, Araham etc? 
Wouldn't it seem more realisitic, knowing the Bible was of another culture and language of Greek and Hebrew--that the twelve disciples would have names like:  Sabtecheh, Havilah, Sabtah, Ahazuerus, Ashkanaz, Riphath and Togarmah?
Or, children's Bible stories:  Mazraim and Goliath, Dodanim and the whale, instead of Mary and Joseph-try: Milchah and Chedorlaomer?
sounds  TOO convenient for me--

Well, there are some pretty intense names in the bible too: King Nebuchadrezzar, Melchizedek, Belteshazzar, Beelzebub, Lo-ruhamah; to name of few. Sure, some of these may not seem too bad, but that's only because we've heard their names so many times.

Let's also not forget that today's "English" is really the mutt of all languages. It's been heavily influenced by Latin, Spanish, French, Old English, German, Hebrew, Greek, etc, etc. So that's a large reason why some of these names have such an "English sound to them". Remember even words like "savior" and "salvation", "redemption", "eternal" and "eternity", didn't originate from English but from Latin.

Daywalker  8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 23 queries.