bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Testimony  (Read 3995 times)

ned

My Testimony
« on: July 11, 2006, 06:47:29 PM »

Good afternoon everyone. God brought me to this forum in response to my prayers for fellowship as I just left my church (last Sunday), after being brought to the realization that what the church is teaching me is not the truth God wants me to know. I have only been in the church system 1½ yrs (since Jan05). I see God is wasting no time with me in revealing to me His love of the Truth.  Because I am new, I feel it appropriate to share with you my testimony. I'll start at the very beginning, please excuse the length, but you may as well know it all.

I was born into a catholic (not overly-zealous Catholic I might add) family.  Always wanting to know my destiny, I recall at a young age always wondering why I was here and what the purpose of life was.

When I was 16, a certain friend came into my life, and from the first time I met him, he told me that God had revealed to me that he should teach me about God and the scriptures....he said as soon as he met me,  he knew it was I who God had spoke to him of.  For the next six months, we read the bible together almost daily.  I instantly believed what I read and enjoyed reading.  After these 6 months, he moved away, I continued to read God’s word, but eventually strayed to my own life…got married, had children, and just lived for myself basically.

20 years later, after moving to a small town, a new friend told me about a children’s youth group called Awana.  God was important to me (although I wasn’t living for him), and I knew I hadn’t raised my kids to know God, so I signed them up for this group in hopes they could come to know God.  Then this friend mentioned that a women’s bible study was to be started during the Awana hour and a half...so I joined that as well, within 4 months I had joined the local community church (who sponsored Awana), was baptized 2 months later, and was right into the word of God.  I wanted to learn as much as I could, I was like a sponge, never missed one Sunday at church, got involved within the church, joined small groups, literally went from one extreme to the other (as my husband put it).  This continued for almost a year when I realized I didn’t feel completely fulfilled.  I prayed to God always that he would reveal to me my purpose for Him, I prayed that He would give me knowledge and truth regarding His word, I asked an elder at my church what I had to do to “die to self” for Jesus (he said it takes a life-time), I was questioning what it meant to be spiritual.  I read God’s word with intent, and shared it among other believers with all zeal.  I was always happiest when I was talking about God (even as now I am). 

After being exposed to the church (and their teachings) during this time (9 months), I started to question my salvation…I couldn’t pinpoint what time in that year I had actually “accepted Jesus” into my heart…I knew I had the holy spirit within me, so I figured I had to have been “born again”, but I honestly couldn’t remember “saying the prayer” or accepting Jesus, like some people know the exact date.  I wondered what the verse meant “Every knee will bow, every tongue will confess….” if only those who accepted Jesus were going to be with God forever, would even those who didn’t accept Him bow to him and what, in hell?  I wondered why my friend of 20 years back didn’t tell me I had to “ACCEPT” Jesus into my heart.  He told me of no such thing, he didn’t even go to church, and I didn’t question it – what he taught me just seemed normal.

So after starting to question these things within my own self, I prayed to God more fervently to reveal to me truths about His word.  During this whole year of being involved in the church, and learning about God, I never once went on the internet for biblical information.  I studied my bible, and read a few other books.  One of our church elders did a sermon on January 1, 2006 and he said that we (the church) should not argue about doctrines revealed in the bible, that we shouldn’t waste our effort on discussing differences people may have about certain scripture, then he said, “unless it affects salvation”. He went on to say that if anyone is called by God to come away from the church, to discuss it with the elders so they may know what’s going on….  I thought absolutely nothing of this sermon, I didn’t feel like he was speaking directly to me at all….and then THAT VERY WEEK I came across Ray Smith’s website….I don’t even remember how I got there, or what I looked for, but the article that got my attention was Lazarus and the Rich Man, and after I read it, I realized that I was being lead astray by the “very church I was called into”.  Of course, I’ve studied other articles on Ray’s web site and after this initial week of studying (it just so happened I was on a weeks’ vacation), I then realized that the sermon the elder had just spoken of that Sunday was speaking to me!

After these revelations, I spoke to some of my church-going friends and they all thought I was going through a “trial” and once I over-came, God would use me effectively. They thought Satan had gotten hold of me and I was deceived.  I struggled for the next 6 months about what to do, and the more I sat in church and listened to the heresies being preached; the more I felt disgusted and couldn’t handle to hear the lies any longer.  I made a list of the reasons why I wanted to leave the church, and to my surprise, they were all “selfish”, there was not one reason for me to stay that brought God glory.

Two weeks ago I presented the elders of our church (our church is without a pastor) a letter stating I was leaving and why. I did it because Jesus promised me in 2 Cor 6:17 “Wherefore come out from among them and be ye separate saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing and I will receive you”.  I want nothing more than to be received by Jesus.  So now it’s only been two weeks and I honestly feel more fulfilled now than when I was deep within my church and their teachings.  I have only Jesus to thank for revealing Himself to me, and I thank him daily for His Word that brings me such peace and satisfaction.

I look forward to fellowshipping with like-believers.  Here’s to Him!
Marie

hillsbororiver

Re: My Testimony
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 07:35:32 PM »

Marie,

Thank you very much for giving us your testimony, there are some very profound truths in what you wrote. I hope this reaches some of the people who are struggling with leaving Babylon behind, you are so right the "self in the flesh" is what is being served by continuing in a system that blasphemes our Lord constantly. Many have trepidition (much like Lot's wife) in leaving an entity where family and friends congregate, more like a social club than a means to know Him more thoroughly. We are admonished that by seeking Him we will lose much of what our present life is and for that we should have joy and not remorse.

I want to thank you again for being here and I look forward to growing together in His Spirit.

Joe 

orion77

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 09:05:02 PM »

Marie, your testimony rings with truth.  It blesses my heart to see others come to the truth, coming from so many diverse backgrounds, to the truth, which is in God and not in man.  God bless your sincerity.  Your testimony brought these verses to mind:

(Mat 26:39)  And going forward a little, He fell on His face, praying, and saying, My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; yet not as I will, but as You will.

(Psa 16:5)  Jehovah is the portion of my inheritance and of my cup; You shall surely uphold my lot.

(Psa 16:6)  The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; yea, I have a beautiful inheritance.

(Psa 16:7)  I will bless Jehovah, who counseled me. My reins also teach me in the nights.

(Psa 16:8)  I have set Jehovah always before me; for He is at my right hand: I shall not be shaken.

(Psa 16:9)  So my heart is glad, and my glory rejoices; my flesh shall also rest in hope.

(Psa 16:10)  For You will not leave My soul in Sheol; You will not give Your Holy One to see corruption.

(Psa 16:11)  You will make Me know the way of life. In Your presence is fullness of joys; at Your right hand are pleasures forever.

(Psa 116:16)  O Jehovah, truly I am Your servant now; I am Your servant, the son of Your handmaid; You have loosed my bonds.

(Psa 116:17)  I will sacrifice to You the sacrifice of thanks and will call on the name of Jehovah.

I truly appreciate hearing of your testimony. 

God bless,

Gary

ned

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 11:58:32 PM »

Thank you Bobby, Joe and Gary for your warm comments. It really makes me feel good to know God has led me to share with real believers.  I was really weary about posting on such a "broad road", but your comments have given me reassurance.  I actually prayed to God that he would protect me in this forum.  He has done this. Now I am praying that this forum would never take precedence over Him, and that I would stay focused on Him first, others second, and then of course me, last.  I am seeking His kingdom first, all else I need will follow.
For Him and because of Him we Live,
Marie

mongoose

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 12:38:19 PM »

Marie,  Thank you for sharing your testimony with us.  It is great to read your posts and I look forward to learning more with you.

Love to you in Christ

mongoose

ned

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 02:40:28 PM »

Thank you Mongoose. I look forward to growing in God's word with beleivers of the Truth.
Marie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.