bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "It is Finished!"  (Read 4748 times)

Duane

"It is Finished!"
« on: August 02, 2011, 06:52:32 PM »

While mowing the lawn, God flashed something in my mind that I would like to share.

Jesus died for the sins of the (whole) world!  When He said "It is finished" I believe He meant "It is finished" so WHY are we taught that salvation is only complete when WE finish it up with "the sinner's
prayer?"  Jesus didn't say "it is finshed, now I did My part-now you do yours!"

Comments?

Deborah-Leigh

Re: "It is Finished!"
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 04:22:38 AM »

Right! ~ but the show goes on ~ :D

Arc

jong

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 11:50:53 PM »

Jesus died for the sins of the (whole) world!  When He said "It is finished" I believe He meant "It is finished" so WHY are we taught that salvation is only complete when WE finish it up with "the sinner's
prayer?"  Jesus didn't say "it is finshed, now I did My part-now you do yours!"

Comments?

"It is finished" is a translation of the Greek word "tetelestai", the perfect indicative passive tense of the word "telos", which means to end; to bring to completion; to bring to a conclusion; to complete; to accomplish; to fulfill; or to finish.

1. Tetelestai indicated that Jesus had finished the work/mission the Father had sent Him to do.

2. Tetelestai was the equivalent of the Hebrew word spoken by the high priest when he presented a sacrificial lamb without spot or blemish. Annually the high priest entered the Holy of Holies, where he poured the blood of the sacrificial spotless lamb on the mercy seat of the Ark of the Covenant to make atonement for the people's sins. In Jesus case, His sacrifice removed sin permanently with no more need of offerings for sin.

3. In a worldly secular meaning, Tetelestai was used in the business world to signify the full payment of a debt. When a debt had been fully paid off, the parchment on which the debt was recorded was stamped with tetelestai, which meant the debt had been paid in full. This means that once a person calls Jesus the Lord of His life and personally accepts His sacrifice, no debt of sin exists for that person any longer. The debt is wiped out because Jesus paid the price for sin that no sinner could ever pay.

4. In classical Greek times, the word tetelestai depicted a turning point when one period ended and another new period began. When Jesus exclaimed, “It is finished!” it was indeed a turning point in the entire history of mankind, for at that moment the Old Testament came to an end -- finished and closed -- and the New Testament began. The Cross was “the Great Divide” in human history. When Jesus cried out, “It is finished!” He was shouting that the Old Covenant had ended and the New Covenant had begun!

======================================================================

By His sacrifice, Jesus has purchased "salvation" for the whole world without any of us needing to do anything else. However, only those who acknowledge His sacrifice (or rather those He calls unto Him) will be able to reign with Him in His kingdom phase for 1000 years. The rest will only be resurrected at the end of His kingdom, all according to God's will.

G. Driggs

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 01:52:47 AM »

Right! ~ but the show goes on ~ :D

Arc

So true, and as Ray would say, "The final step is to GET THE SIN OUT OF THE SINNER...."

G.Driggs
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 01:55:39 AM by G. Driggs »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.