bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feeling or discernment?  (Read 4919 times)

onelovedread

Feeling or discernment?
« on: August 03, 2011, 05:14:56 PM »

Hey, just wondering, do we "feel" things spiritually? Is that the same thing as 'discernment'? How easy or how hard is it for the overcomer to differentiate between something we think mentally or soemthing we "feel" spiritually? I hope at least one person can understand what I've been so awkwardly trying to ask:)

John from Kentucky

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Re: Feeling or discernment?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 08:21:26 PM »

Hey, just wondering, do we "feel" things spiritually? Is that the same thing as 'discernment'? How easy or how hard is it for the overcomer to differentiate between something we think mentally or soemthing we "feel" spiritually? I hope at least one person can understand what I've been so awkwardly trying to ask:)

When the woman who had the issue of blood touched Jesus, He said, "Who touched me" because He felt the spiritual power to heal leave Him.

As Jesus is, so are we.  When He was a physical human, He felt the Spirit go through Him.  So can we.

The Spirit is like water, like the wind, like fire.  It ebbs and flows, and is more powerful at one time than another.  If the Spirit is just at one level of intensity, with no fluctuation, then Jesus would not have been able to sense the Power go through Him.

Joel

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 11:30:38 PM »

When we are confronted on a daily basis to choose either good or evil, and we choose good more and more, our ability to make the right decision is more finely honed, and that is a gift of God.(discernment being exercised)
And than there is discernment that God may give about a certain thing, and there will be no wiggle room as to it being from him, no doubt, and no feeling involved. The proof is in the pudding. :)

Joel

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 03:53:00 AM »

Is there a difference between night and day, or the mind and the heart, or soul and spirit, knowing or believing...Yes..you bet there is!

Could discernment be the same as test the spirits...maybe...~

Arc

onelovedread

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 02:06:48 PM »

Wow. Everyone of these responses has been SO helpful to me. THANK YOU, THANK YOU. You guys are the best.

Shawn Fainn

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 09:01:23 PM »

John, your post reminded me of something.

I haven't really talked about this, but before I started becoming "passionate" about my search for the truth, I had one of those "feeling" moments. Hard to describe, but it was like a wave of energy passed through my chest and stomach. During that period I felt I was internally 'giving up' on my control of things and wanting God to take over. Not long after that I came across BT.

Anyway, I never liked to talk about that stuff much because I've been to those churches that tend to be more focused on 'feelings' rather than teaching Truth. So, I try not to focus too much on the 'sensational' side of things (I tend to be more analytical, to be quite honest). But maybe I was having more than just an 'emotional moment', perhaps?

It's interesting to think about, at least.

stanstillwhite

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 03:04:15 PM »

I started to just go to the next post but I 'felt' ha, something needs to be added to this discusion.
Discernment is a gift of the Spirit(1 Co 12:10) but it is also prevalent(to some degree)(Gal 2:9 Act 10:34) when one has the Spirit.  Paul tell us to covet the best gifts (1 Co 12:31) and discernment is always the one I pray for. 

It also helps to have a solid understanding of what discernment is and is not:

Noun 1. discernment - the cognitive condition of someone who understands
        2. discernment - delicate discrimination (especially of aesthetic values); 
        3. discernment - perception of that which is obscure
        4. discernment - the mental ability to understand and discriminate between relations
        5. discernment - the trait of judging wisely and objectively;

Is it any wonder that this is a Spiritual gift?  This is truly something Every believer needs working and active in our lives. 

Loven,

Stan

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.