bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Love One Another  (Read 12858 times)

Rene

• Administrator
  • Bible-Truths Forum Member
Love One Another
« on: August 11, 2011, 11:44:25 AM »

John 15:12 - "This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you."

I have been thinking a lot about this commandment lately.  I found at least 12 scriptures (see below) that have this commandment.  Jesus, Paul, Peter, and John all said it.  This leads me to two conclusions, (1) this commandment is VERY IMPORTANT; and (2) this commandment must be VERY HARD for us to keep! :D

Here are 12 places this commandment is mentioned:

John 13:34        1Thes 4:9      1John 4:7
John 15:12        1Peter 1:22    1John 4:11
John 15:17        1John 3:11     1John 4:12
Rom 13:8          1John 3:23     2John 1:5

What do you all think?  Is it hard to love one another?  Keep in mind, I am not talking about some  "fake" lovey-dovey, pretentious manifestation of love.

René

« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 03:36:28 PM by Rene »

River

Re: Love One Another
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 12:12:03 PM »

Yes, very hard and you become hated as well because of it.

Kat

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 12:52:50 PM »

Hi Rene,

Good point (love) that we need to focus on. This scripture came to mind.

Luke 6:32  "If you love only the people who love you, why should you receive a blessing? Even sinners love those who love them!
v. 33  And if you do good only to those who do good to you, why should you receive a blessing? Even sinners do that!
v. 34  And if you lend only to those from whom you hope to get it back, why should you receive a blessing? Even sinners lend to sinners, to get back the same amount!
v. 35  No! Love your enemies and do good to them; lend and expect nothing back. You will then have a great reward, and you will be children of the Most High God. For he is good to the ungrateful and the wicked.

I can understand this, it's easy to love people that you have a good relationship with. But those people that you may have some kind of conflict with or sometimes people are just not easily approachable, now that's a different story. You know it's easy to love someone who you have a reciprocating relationship of give and take with.

So what about all those people that we might find a good reason to love? I think with the Spirit indwelling we should be compelled to seek to deal in a good and positive manner with those we would naturally want to avoid. If we are truly in training to judge the world then we should want to learn how to 'love' everyone to matter how difficult they are. That is something I want to work towards, moving outside of my comfort zone and reaching out to people that I would not normally want to.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

mharrell08

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 01:31:00 PM »

One other point, all love isn't the same love. There are different kinds of love...love for your family, love for your friends, love for your co-workers, etc. We're not going to love all of these people in the same manner. I think the main thing is to not wish or want evil upon any of them...especially more so the ones you love less than others.

Kat

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 01:46:45 PM »

Good point Marques. Here is a email that I found that makes this point as well.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php?topic=3400.0 --------------

We are to "love/agapeo" our enemies, meaning that we are to desire for them to come into a knowledge of the truth and to bitterly REPENT of their INDIGNITY to other humans.  We are not to "love/phileo" them with emotional love, fondness, hugs and kisses!

God be with you,
    Ray

Rene

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 04:08:16 PM »

All good points, but the love I am specifically talking about (that I feel Jesus and the Apostles are talking about in the scriptures I listed), is specifically instructing the "Body of Christ", to love one another.  I'm focusing more on the love that we like-minded believers should have toward one another, not the agape love we should have for all of mankind.

Is it hard for us like-minded believers to love one another?  Does the lack of physical contact and our inability to see one another on a regular basis get in the way of our loving one another?  Or should that even matter?   Or maybe it's not a problem for us and we all have the love that Jesus commanded us to have for one another. :-\  Just asking. :D

Ray's bible study on "Love" (http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,3719.0.html) covers the difference in agape and phileo love. It's an excellent lesson to review as well.

René

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 04:12:16 PM »

1Pe 1:22  Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:

UNFEIGNED love.  You can't feign unfeigned love any more than you can draw a square circle.  This puts the 'love one another' commandment even deeper into the spirit.  Just as it's a struggle to enter rest, it's a struggle to learn to love one another.  Is it hard?  It's hard to get there, I think.    

Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

onelovedread

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 04:18:08 PM »

One thing that comes to mind is the attitudes of some of us to homosexuals.
When I migrated to the US from Jamaica (a very homophobic society) in the nineties, I was initially very hostile towards them.
While I worked at a hotel in Washington DC, I met two co-workers who were of that lifestyle. In getting to know them and by hearing their stories, I gradually became more tolerant and came to realize that homosexuals are God's children too.
I believe that we are expected to love the homosexual even though we may hate the act itself.
On another note, some of the hardest people to love are our relatives:)

mharrell08

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 05:29:06 PM »

All good points, but the love I am specifically talking about (that I feel Jesus and the Apostles are talking about in the scriptures I listed), is specifically instructing the "Body of Christ", to love one another.  I'm focusing more on the love that we like-minded believers should have toward one another, not the agape love we should have for all of mankind.

Is it hard for us like-minded believers to love one another?  Does the lack of physical contact and our inability to see one another on a regular basis get in the way of our loving one another?  Or should that even matter?   Or maybe it's not a problem for us and we all have the love that Jesus commanded us to have for one another. :-\  Just asking. :D

Ray's bible study on "Love" (http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,3719.0.html) covers the difference in agape and phileo love. It's an excellent lesson to review as well.

René

Sometimes it's easier getting along with people in the world compared to believers. When such a small community as we have possesses something as valuable as the Truth, pride & vanity will surely set in. None of us can be told anything because we all 'have the Spirit'. This is part of the baggage from Babylon that none of us has really let go: the vanity from believing that we are one of God's favorites. After all these years, I still don't know how to not let pride set in with the longing to be one of God's Elect. I swell with pride when my earthly father tells me he's proud of me...how much more our Father in Heaven?

More times than not, people in the world are less confrontational and dogmatic about who they are and what they believe. They care less about 'being right' and more about living life how they want to live. Not saying I endorse it, but that's just how it seems to me.

Marques

moxicarose

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 05:34:27 PM »

Okay, so if we're just talking about loving 'the bretheren' than my thought is, isn't there a process (just like in any relationship) where you get to know someone and then at some point it becomes apparent that they are of the bretheren, and then you come to phileo/love them? Or am I being completely carnal in my thinking? The reason I ask this is because in my experience of the past several years, it seems like other self proclaimed Christians expect me to wrap my arms around them and love them like a brother just because they are "Christian, too". In a place like this, on the forum, I believe that it can be sometimes easier to identify each other (or maybe tougher depending on the personalities)...so, that all being said, I have struggled with knowing when I am just to have regular love for my fellow man, and when I am to fall in love with them like family..:) Lastly, I find it funny that sometimes I feel a swell of love in my heart for a bum on the street, (obviously from the Lord because I used to avoid eye contact with anyone on the street before) and then feel awkward and strange with some of my peers who claim to have a personal relationship with Jesus. :) Isn't that a headscratcher?

G. Driggs

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 05:49:36 PM »

I guess for me sometimes it's hard, and sometimes it's easy. But I do see this type of love Ray describes often in the forum.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,7047.0.html

v. 15  Whosoever hates his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal (eonian or age lasting) life abiding in him.
v. 16  Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.

It doesn’t mean we are to go out and let a truck drive over you, it just means you should serve. When you use your time, your money, your effort, your energy, your emotions to help somebody else, whether it be a friend, a neighbor, your husband, your wife, your children to the extent you do. All the time doing, thinking, praising, helping someone else, you are laying your life down for them. I mean living, breathing, moving, doing, saying - that’s life. When all your living, breathing, doing… when a lot of that is directed towards somebody who will profit from your looking after them and being concerned, that’s laying down your life. That’s how you lay down your life, without actually dying.

v. 17  But whoso hath this world's good, and sees his brother have need, and shuts up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwells the love of God in him?
v. 18  My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.
v. 19  And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.
v. 20  For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knows all things.
v. 21  Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.
v. 22  And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep His commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in His sight.
v. 23  And this is His commandment, That we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as He gave us commandment.
v. 24  And he that keeps His commandments dwells in Him, and He in him. And hereby we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit which He hath given us.

----------------------

Peace & LOVE  y'all. :)

G.Driggs

Joel

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 10:13:24 PM »

Hi Rene,
When I read your post the first scripture that came to mind is;
1 Peter 4:8 (KJV)
And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.
(TLB)
Most important of all, continue to show deep love for each other, for love makes up for many of your faults.
(TAB)
Above all things have intense and unfailing love for one another, for love covers a multitude of sins-forgives and disregards the offenses of others.

I use to have a lot of hate for others in the world before I came to BT, maybe not so much hate, but intolerance and disdain, discuss, disapproval, what ever, but now I can see more these days how that "God so loved the world".

Even though I have never seen any of you personally, I feel that there is that kindred Spirit amongst the forum members. We haven't met any of the people of God that we read about in the Bible either, sort of the same thing I suppose. :)

Joel

DougE6

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 12:14:01 AM »

I think the main thing is to not wish or want evil upon any of them...especially more so the ones you love less than others.
  To be perfectly honest this seems weak too me.  At best, its kind of like a "passive" love, if love can ever actually be passive.  Is that all "love" is? Just not wishing or wanting evil on anyone? 

I think God would feel that is lukewarm at best.  And we know what Jesus says about lukewarmness. I think Love is not just passive, but actively acts for the welfare and betterment and well being of the loved one.  Are you really saying that love, Jesus love, means not getting personally involved? Just benevolent indifference, because you stay away from them?  if you are, thats a pretty darn easy standard to meet.

Mat 5:46  For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
Mat 5:47  And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?

I think Jesus has a lot more in mind, being a whole lot more than what the world or publicans do.  I think real love will ACTIVELY get involved and will ACTIVELY give of itself.  Somehow I think that is so beyond human nature, so far beyond the publican, that only that is of God. Passive "love" not demonstrated by action, does not pass the love test, to me.  It passes the nice guy test, only.

hummer

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 03:27:36 AM »

Hi Rene,
           Yes Rene this Commandment TO LOVE ONE ANOTHER is very important as it is stated for emphasis many times throughout the Scriptures as you eluded to. There are Scritures giving believers instructions on what to do to LOVE ONE ANOTHER. Other give results of Loving One Another. John 13:34 " A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. Result (35) "By this all men will know you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. 1John 3:23 This is His commandment that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love One another, just as He commanded us. Why is this important (24) The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, an He in him. We know by this that He abides in us, by the Spirit  He has given us. Is it difficult? I don't know. For some yes for others it maybe easier. I believe it all depends on God with each believer.

Hummer

mharrell08

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 07:53:03 AM »

I think the main thing is to not wish or want evil upon any of them...especially more so the ones you love less than others.
  To be perfectly honest this seems weak too me.  At best, its kind of like a "passive" love, if love can ever actually be passive.  Is that all "love" is? Just not wishing or wanting evil on anyone? 

I think God would feel that is lukewarm at best.  And we know what Jesus says about lukewarmness. I think Love is not just passive, but actively acts for the welfare and betterment and well being of the loved one.  Are you really saying that love, Jesus love, means not getting personally involved? Just benevolent indifference, because you stay away from them?  if you are, thats a pretty darn easy standard to meet.

Mat 5:46  For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
Mat 5:47  And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?

I think Jesus has a lot more in mind, being a whole lot more than what the world or publicans do.  I think real love will ACTIVELY get involved and will ACTIVELY give of itself.  Somehow I think that is so beyond human nature, so far beyond the publican, that only that is of God. Passive "love" not demonstrated by action, does not pass the love test, to me.  It passes the nice guy test, only.

As I said, the MAIN thing is to not wish or want evil upon anyone, not the ONLY thing. If you have evil in your hearts towards anyone, being 'active' in helping them only makes you a hypocrite, even if it's only something God can see. I'm talking about cleaning the inside of the cup first before the outside, not vice-versa.

Kat

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 10:28:36 AM »

Another good Scripture to add to the discussion.

Gal 6:7  Do not be deceived, God is not mocked. For whatever a man sows, that he also will reap.
Gal 6:8  For he sowing to his flesh will reap corruption from the flesh. But he sowing to the Spirit will reap life everlasting from the Spirit.
Gal 6:9  But we should not lose heart in well-doing, for in due season we shall reap, if we do not faint.
Gal 6:10  So then as we have time, let us work good toward all, especially toward those of the household of faith.

I believe we need to give special attention when we are aware that someone shares the indwelling of the Spirit. Surely we need to learn how to deal circumspectly with our brothers and sisters now, if we are to eventually judge the world with Christ.

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Rene

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 12:14:34 PM »

Thank you all for your loving replies. ;)

I believe this love one another that Jesus and Paul and Peter and John commanded the "Body of Christ" to have is a love that can only be accomplished through the indwelling of the holy spirit.

I also believe I am experiencing a measure of this love as I relate to a few of my like-minded brethren at this time, however, I yearn to feel and understand this love completely.  I have faith that the Lord will accomplish this in me, and you, in due time. :)

René

DougE6

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 01:11:04 PM »

If you have evil in your hearts towards anyone
having evil is your heart towards anyone is simply not allowed. If we have that, we are really really far from loving them. 1Jn 4:20  If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?

I personally think Christs command to love our enemies is the hardest command out there. I don't think it is hard to love my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. I do believe that loving those whom you find repugnant or those who hate you is only possible by the spirit of God. But with God all things are possible. May He give us the power and HEART to do this.

As far as judging the world?  I do not believe anyone is qualified to judge the world UNLESS they love the ones they are judging. And I mean active love.  When Joseph judged his brothers for what they did to him, and brought them to acknowledgement of their evil and sinfulness, his entire attitude the whole time was of complete love and forgiveness. Even as he acted and pretended to be otherwise towards them, in leading them to repentance.  He could hardly contain his emotion towards them, positive feelings, joyful feelings, even though they sold him and threw him into a pit, and separated him from the family, seemingly, forever.  One is NOT qualified to judge others if you have any bitterness, anger, hatred, or hate towards them, personally.  You must love them, and not is some weak way;  and want to see them restored. If you are chosen by God to be one of those who are to help judge the world, then you should be demonstrating your growing qualifications to do so by acting in love towards your brothers and not only not holding grudges towards your enemies, but actually loving them. It is the command of God.

mharrell08

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 02:09:41 PM »

If you have evil in your hearts towards anyone

having evil is your heart towards anyone is simply not allowed. If we have that, we are really really far from loving them. 1Jn 4:20  If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?

I believe that's what I said above, at least in my full statement. I think we're on the same page just from different viewpoints.

Akira329

• "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 07:08:05 PM »

René

Hey Rene!
I love that you asked this!
I think its about as hard to love like minded believers as is loving anyone who says they love you.
Do they show love towards you? Do we show love towards one another?
How does that love begin?

Between like minded people, they share common beliefs, common ways of thinking, and common ways of just doing things.
I lack this with the majority. It's hard to foster these types of relationships from great distances and over the internet even over the phone.
I honestly believe no one can truly love me unless they have met me and me the same.

How can I show a great care and understanding of someones life if I don't know their life.
I have to know their ups and downs, achievements and failures.

Some of us have been given the opportunity to reach out to those in need. I think that's where it starts.
Can you name a best friend that you have and it didn't begin with them meeting your need or you theirs.

The testimony page of this forum seeks to reveal those in need to those that can possibly help.
I have no doubt that friendships have been grounded there.

I think the problem too is believing like mindedness.
I think if any one of us were in a room together long enough we would find a disagreement about something.
What judges the love we have for one another is how we handle those disagreements. Resolution shows great love and maturity and also builds respect and trust. Things common in a loving relationship!

Thank You Rene
Antaiwan
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 23 queries.