bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Meddling  (Read 5991 times)

JohnMichael

Meddling
« on: August 12, 2011, 03:54:00 PM »

Hi Brothers & Sisters,

I had a situation pop up today that really got me thinking about the Scriptural answer for "meddling in others' affairs." To me, it feels wrong. I wondered if anyone knew of Scriptures that talk about this. The only one I can find is 1 Tim 6:3-5. I can't find a second or third witness.

(MKJV)
1Ti 6:3  If anyone teaches otherwise, and does not consent to wholesome words (those of our Lord Jesus Christ), and to the doctrine according to godliness,
1Ti 6:4  he is proud, knowing nothing. He is sick concerning doubts and arguments, from which comes envy, strife, evil speakings, evil suspicions,
1Ti 6:5  meddling, of men whose minds have been corrupted and deprived of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness. Withdraw from such.

The situation was Person A asked me why I had not told them that Person B was participating in a particular activity. I told Person A that is not my business to report on Person B's actions/decisions seeing as Person B is an adult. I also said meddling in the affairs of others is a big no-no. Person A's response was, basically, "it's my job to meddle."

Isn't meddling wrong? I'm not looking for these verses to bop this person over the head with them. I just want to know for my own instruction/correction.

In Him,
John

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
Re: Meddling
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 05:13:09 PM »

paradiatribē  A compound word that would be hard for me to "translate" considering the base words it come from.  My translations have it several ways--meddling, perverse disputings, constant arguments...seems like every translation renders it differently.

It's funny he said it was 'his job' to meddle.  Thayer's definition is 1) useless occupation, empty business, misemployment   ;D ;D

I'd take the bigger picture of these verses, John.  I don't believe they are 'about' meddling, so don't work well as a proof-text to say "meddling is wrong".  They don't define the word, and our use of it covers everything from a little nosiness to attempts to rule over someone else--even law enforcement, depending on who is being 'meddled'.  ;)    This is one of those things that requires some spiritual finesse.

"Meddling" doesn't seem like something God's people ought to be doing as it goes well against the spirit of the specks and beams parable, but I don't believe that's what the spirit of THESE scriptures is.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 05:25:53 PM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

GaryK

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 06:01:47 PM »

Hi Brothers & Sisters,

I had a situation pop up today that really got me thinking about the Scriptural answer for "meddling in others' affairs." To me, it feels wrong. I wondered if anyone knew of Scriptures that talk about this. The only one I can find is 1 Tim 6:3-5. I can't find a second or third witness.

(MKJV)
1Ti 6:3  If anyone teaches otherwise, and does not consent to wholesome words (those of our Lord Jesus Christ), and to the doctrine according to godliness,
1Ti 6:4  he is proud, knowing nothing. He is sick concerning doubts and arguments, from which comes envy, strife, evil speakings, evil suspicions,
1Ti 6:5  meddling, of men whose minds have been corrupted and deprived of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness. Withdraw from such.

The situation was Person A asked me why I had not told them that Person B was participating in a particular activity. I told Person A that is not my business to report on Person B's actions/decisions seeing as Person B is an adult. I also said meddling in the affairs of others is a big no-no. Person A's response was, basically, "it's my job to meddle."

Isn't meddling wrong? I'm not looking for these verses to bop this person over the head with them. I just want to know for my own instruction/correction.In Him,
John

Hi John,

I know this answer isn't going to be biblically based, which is what you're looking for, but, wouldn't just plain-old-common-sense dictate the right thing to do which is exactly what you are doing by not meddling in others affairs?   Or is common sense and courtesy a thing of the past?  Actually I know the answer to that question.

But you wish scripture, I know:

1 Thessalonians 4:11
Amplified Bible (AMP)

11To make it your ambition and definitely endeavor to live quietly and peacefully, to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we charged you,..

I'm sure this speaks more toward like-believers, but it's still just good old courtesy and common sense in my brain.

gk

eagle

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 06:22:50 PM »

"But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters."  1.Peter 4:15

"Busybody"(allotriepiskopos) according to Strong:
1) one who takes the supervision of affairs pertaining to others and in no wise to himself, a meddler in other men's affairs.

So therefore John, you did right. Ainīt it something to know the Lord, through
Peters letter, associates busybodies with murderers, thieves and evildoers.
(Btw, this is my first post on BT forum)
God bless us all.

Kat

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 08:18:25 PM »

Hi eagle,

Welcome to the forum  :)
To add to what he was saying about being a "busybody," here are a couple more verses.

2Thes 3:11  We say this because we hear that there are some people among you who live lazy lives and who do nothing except meddle in other people's business.
v. 12  In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ we command these people and warn them to lead orderly lives and work to earn their own living. (GNB)

1Tim 5:13  They also learn to waste their time in going around from house to house; but even worse, they learn to be gossips and busybodies, talking of things they should not. (GNB)

mercy, peace and love
Kat

JohnMichael

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 02:49:05 PM »

Thank you all. Those were precisely the Scriptures I was looking for. When the Lord inspires something to be written more than once, it means "PAY ATTENTION!" ;D That's how I take it, anyway.

I wanted Scriptural proof to "not give place to the devil" (Eph. 4:27). I wanted to base my belief on the sound doctrine of Scripture and not my own opinion.

It is also good old common sense, too, as GK put it. Mind my own business. If someone asks for advice, that's one thing. To interject my opinion/desires/2 cents in a situation where I wasn't asked to is another. (Any Scriptures to back this up as well? I mean in regards to giving advice when asked for it.)

Eagle, that is definitely an eye opener that busybodies are put in the same category as murderers, thieves, and evildoers.

Again, thank you all. :) No worries, I'm not going on a head bopping spree with these. ;D ;D ;D

In Him,
John
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 02:56:48 PM by JohnMichael »

markn902

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 06:23:18 PM »

There is a principle that applies to this and a lot of other things in life

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets."

(Matt 7:12)

That pretty much covers it. Would you want someone meddling in your business? Thats a question only you can answer and it will probably vary depending on the circumstance. This is a matter of the heart and conscience and there is no black and white answer.

Mark 

stanstillwhite

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 01:50:14 PM »

Hey John,

There is only one thing I see here that might also be added.

Jas 5:19  Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him;
Jas 5:20  Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

Saying something is none of our business is surely an option, but if this is a fellow believer then we must ask ourselves 'What does love require?'
Please note, if love is not the primary motive Mind you own Business?

Love ya,

Stan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.