bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Running the Race is a Marathon, Not a Sprint  (Read 9104 times)

mharrell08

Running the Race is a Marathon, Not a Sprint
« on: August 22, 2011, 01:05:30 PM »

Ps 119:32  I will run the course of Your commandments, For You shall enlarge my heart.

Isa 40:30-31  Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

1 Cor 9:24  Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it

Heb 12:1-2  Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith...

The race we all run, dying to the flesh and having Christ live in us, is a marathon not a sprint. It will have its peaks and valleys. One day you feel spiritually on top of the world, the next you'll be humbled because of a particular sin that continues to rear it's ugly head. These are just a few reminders:

1. Acts 14:22  We must through many tribulations enter the kingdom of God.

Life is hard, especially so for a believer. And the hardest part is probably the many family/friends/loved ones/strangers who do not have the same hope in them that strengthens you.

2. Matt 4:1  Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil

If the Father used Satan to strengthen His Son, surely He will use him to strengthen your faith as well. Evil will beset you from time to time: finances, health, family issues, personal issues, etc. Just remember that God will not place any more burden on you than you can bear [1 Cor 10:13]

3. Phil 4:11  I [Paul] have learned in whatever state I am, to be content

Whether in perilous times or joyous occasions, be content. Know what you have waiting for you at the end of this race ['there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.' - 2 Tim 4:8]. It is greater than any setback you may have or any happiness you may feel in this life.

4. Heb 12:5-6 My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of Him: For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.

It's all because He loves you. If He didn't, He'd let you waste away with no hope of something better. Everything He does is from Love, because He IS Love [1 John 4:8]

5. 1 Tim 1:15  Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief

Paul may have considered himself chief of sinners, but none of us are too far behind in rank. We all have much knowledge and understanding, but still have our flaws & shortcomings. These sins are there to humble us as well as to teach us to trust in God as He is the only Way we can overcome them.

6. Luke 12:22  He said to His disciples, "Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life..."

This is when absolute trust must be placed in the knowledge that God is sovereign. God knows what you need in your life more than you could imagine. There is no obstacle that He has not forseen, and really, He PLACED the obstacle there so you could look to Him in order to overcome it.

7. John 16:33  Be of good cheer, I [Jesus] have overcome the world

My all-time favorite verse. If Jesus has overcome the world, and He is living His life in you, then YOU TOO will overcome the world. Jesus is the author AND finisher of the faith and hope that lies in us. He will finish the good work began in you, so be of good cheer!  :)

No matter the disputes that arise between us all, we're all in this together. We're all running this race and we're all going to receive this prize at the end. Just remember, it's a marathon not a sprint, with bumps along the way.

Marques
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 08:20:32 PM by mharrell08 »

onelovedread

Re: Running the Race is a Marathon, Not a Sprint
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 01:14:26 PM »

Marques, this is excellent. You have really blessed me, brother.
Of course, someone is going to try to add to this but there's truly no need.
Thanks for that.

Stacey

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 01:27:15 PM »

Very encouraging Marques, thank you brother.
Stacey

DougE6

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 01:32:33 PM »

Posts like these remind me of the deep things that I love seeing in others. and want to see in myself. This is what Christianity is all about. Thanks.

Akira329

• "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 05:01:23 PM »

Hope at every turn, thanks bro.
Antaiwan
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus

cjwood

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 06:37:39 PM »

marques, this thread was like a "dear claudia" letter, because it was like you, and the Scriptures used were addressing my life, past/present/future.  i can add nothing more but a very special hug {}, and thank you for giving us this thread to digest and meditate upon. 

claudia

Shawn Fainn

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 07:08:03 PM »

Thanks brother

GaryK

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 07:23:45 PM »

Marques. a gratifying and uplifting post!

Don’t know about the disputes you’re speaking, I see a few on here every now and then and that doesn’t appear to be the main focus of your post, but I know we all experience discouragement .  I know for me personally your words couldn’t have come with a more impeccable timing.

Something from Ray also on the subject that always has a way of encouraging the hardships that come our way.   And they DO come our way.

GEHENNA FIRE JUDGMENT
[Gehenna Judgment Begins with God's Elect]
Installment XVI, Part D-4
JUDGMENT AS DEFINED BY SCRIPTURE IS GOOD

God is ONE. We are to keep the unity of ONE. All Believers are to be ONE in God. The Scriptures are ONE. The parables are all ONE parable. And now I want to show that all of these words (in the final analysis) mean the same thing-CHANGE!

"For whom He did foreknow, He also did predestinate to be conformed to the Image of the Son, that He might be the Firstborn among many brethren" (Rom. 8:29).

There is the entire plan of God for the human race succinctly expressed in one simple verse of Scripture:

"And creating is God humanity in His Image" (Concordant Literal Old Testament).

Not an easy task, however. Paul did not exaggerate when he declared:

"Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the Kingdom of God" (Acts 14:22).

The word tribulation in this verse comes from Strong's #2347, thlipsis and it means: " pressure (literally or figuratively): - afflicted, (-tion), anguish, burdened, persecution, tribulation, trouble."

When God calls one to be a son in His Kingdom, He puts them into a Spiritual Pressure Cooker. This is needful; this is necessary; this must be done.

But before I discourage anyone, let me be quick to reaffirm that these great pressures, trials, tribulations, and persecutions are not without reward, both now and for ever:

http://bible-truths.com/lake16-D4.htm

How Hard is Getting Saved? . . . . . . . Nashville Conference 2005

All these things take a lifetime.  We’re going to live "the seals."

You say, 'Well I don’t remember any trees being burned down.'  First of all, you won’t even know some of it is happening until it’s over.

And there will come a time, when you can look behind you, as I can, and see where God’s been taking you all these years.  You’ll see it plain as day.

I look forward to the day, as I know we all do.

gk

olasupo jacobs

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 08:30:31 PM »

there is assurance as much as there are obstacles in this race...

Jud 1:24  Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,
Jud 1:25  To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.
Heb 12:1  Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
Heb 12:2  Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

it is always good to do some "sound check" like this....it helps us become stronger- cheers Olasupo Jacobs

ps: I overheard one great preacher in my country say " Abraham and all the saints are at the sidelines watching us from heaven,,,shouting move on move on" that is his own interpretation  of a cloud of witnesses.....what a crock! scientist knows better than preachers thats why they are moving into "cloud computing". May be Abraham and others would learn cloud computing while awaiting the Resurrection according to dat preacher. lol     we are persuaded of the truth according to the scripture

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 12:05:45 AM »

You have beautiful feet, Marques.
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

lostANDfound

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 11:05:18 AM »

loving this thread, thanks marques.
this was timely for me also.  i ran a race last weekend that made me think of our spiritual marathon.  it was all up & down hills, with obstacles every so often.  i got to the point where i looked forward to the obstacles for a break from the tediousness of just plain running.  i wonder if anyone else sometimes feels like this in their spiritual journey?  for me, sometimes just slogging through another day of being patient and gracious and loving with the people i see every day, no matter how my blood sugars are telling me to act, feels harder than dealing with major financial issues, family crisis, etc.  it's natural to fall to your knees in the midst of a real "obstacle" and say "here Lord, I can't do this, please help", but those day-to-day ups and downs are to be handled the same way.  part of what i'm learning lately. 
thanks again marques and everyone for your responses.

Rene

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 12:27:17 PM »

Marques,

I have read this thread a couple of times, and it is a beautiful reminder of our journey! 

When I think of a "marathon," I think how important it is to have patience.  I'm also reminded of the story of the Tortoise and the Hare.  The hare started out fast and ran circles around the tortoise, but it was the slow, steady pace of the tortoise, that enabled him to have endurance and make it to the end.  I hope and pray we all our tortoises. ;)

René

crazy4bam

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 11:15:17 PM »

The hare started out fast and ran circles around the tortoise, but it was the slow, steady pace of the tortoise, that enabled him to have endurance and make it to the end.  I hope and pray we all our tortoises.Quoted from Renee!

In recent months I have felt like I was running uphill backwards carrying a ton of rocks in a backpack. Just like the hare I kept felling like everyone was running in circles around me and I just couldn't see past it. I recently came back to the form and feel like I just won that race. Marques, thank you this really helped me understand that no matter what he will always be right there holding my hand.

Pam

tau

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 06:29:54 PM »

The marathon, the race that needs to be run, with patience and enduarance is my personal favorite, as Paul said in my all time favorite scripture;

For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.
Php 3:4  Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
Php 3:5  Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;
Php 3:6  Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.
Php 3:7  But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
Php 3:8  Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
Php 3:9  And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
Php 3:10  That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
Php 3:11  If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.
Php 3:12  Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
Php 3:13  Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
Php 3:14  I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
Php 3:15  Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.
 ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 20 queries.